The Student Room Group

Important dates for applying to US universities?

I'm currently in year 13 (UK) taking A2's this summer - then I'm doing a gap year.

I'm planning on taking SAT I's and SAT II's to apply to US universities but I don't really want to start thinking about that until I've finished my A-levels. Can I be taking that attitude?

Does anybody know important dates for taking SAT I/SAT II's and rough application deadlines for application for Fall 2007?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I'm in Year 12 but I'll be applying to US colleges at the same time as you are:smile:

If you want to concentrate on A-Levels first (which is highly recommended because universities look at A-Levels/IBs too! as you'll be classified as an international student), start preparing for SATs this summer and take the tests this autumn. I recommend you take your first SAT1 in September because then you'll have the chance to retake it if it's needed. SAT2 should be ok as you'd have done your A-Levels so you can take those later (but do some revision before you forget what you've learned in A-Levels!) Check tests dates on http://www.collegeboard.com

Common Application releases the new application forms in August and most universities would have published their own application forms in August/September.

If you have a uni that you definitely want to go, then you might want to apply through Early Decision/Early Action - but it's binding! which means you have to go to that uni once you're given an offer. For ED/EA applicants, the deadline is in November. Most people apply through Regular Decision so there'll be choices. The deadline for Regular Decision in most universities is January 1. Some have deadline on December 31 and some later (e.g. Wellesley's is 15 January).

Hope this helps!:wink:
Thanks vivwc107, useful advice. Cheers.

silkweed
I'm sure you know the cost involved in studying in the US, especially as an international.

Yes, it’s horrifically expensive. I’m thinking of applying to Williams, Amherst, Middlebury and Princeton, all offer international aid although if I did get in to any of those I think it would still work out very costly.

Yes, it’s horrifically expensive. I’m thinking of applying to Williams, Amherst, Middlebury and Princeton, all offer international aid although if I did get in to any of those I think it would still work out very costly. But I think I could probably just do it.

An American friend recommended attending a vo-tech (vocational/technical) school in America and then transferring after a certain number of credits. I hear doing things that way can work out cheaper as you can get a lot of the required courses out of the way at a lower cost. I was also told that you could ‘test out’ a lot of classes after enrolling and if you’ve got decent A-levels that’s quite possible as many of the prerequisites will have been met. I’m not sure about that plan though and would need to look into it more though.

Thanks for the info.
ED is binding but EA is not. You'll need to research which one your prospective unis offers. Most EA/ED deadlines are 01/11 and most RD are 01/01

As for SATs, I took my first SAT I in June 05 in the middle of my AS exams- not such a good idea maybe but it didnt go too badly. I would suggest taking your SAT IIs this june though because then the material is fresh in your mind. If you are taking a gap year, it'l probably be difficult to remember some of the A-level material you learn, even after only a few months.

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Latest

Trending

Trending