The Student Room Group

The “I’m looking for a job” thread - questions & information here

So you’ve got some spare time and you want to get yourself a part time/temporary job. Great!

We've put together a thread of hints and tips to help you on your job search.

Feel free to post any questions you may have but please read the information below before posting!

Minimum
There is a legal requirement for an employer to pay you the National Minimum Wage - they can't pay you any less.

The National Minimum Wage as of October 2011:

16-17 year olds: £3.68
18-20 year olds: £4.98
21 and over: £6.08

If you’re on an apprenticeship, your minimum wage is £2.60.

If you’re under 16 you don't actually have a minimum wage so be careful.

Remember to push your employer to increase your wages in line with the minimum wage once you turn 18 / 21. If you're on an apprenticeship, you're entitled to minimum wage when you turn 19, and you have completed at least one year of your apprenticeship. If you're 19 when you start your apprenticeship, you'll be entitled to the minimum wage when you've completed your first year.

Trade
You may want to consider joining a trade union when you start work, even if you’re only working part-time. You’re fully entitled to join a trade union and your employer isn’t allowed to stop you. Joining a trade union has a small fee each month, but they can help you out if you’re having problems with your employer or if you feel you’ve been unfairly treated in some way. They also protect your rights at work.

Take a look at the TUC website to find out more information about trade unions and what they do. It also contains information about your rights at work.

Here are two unions that could apply to your field of work. Take a look at their advice and guidance, talk to your colleagues (or union representative if your place of employment has one), and decide for yourself whether the membership would be beneficial for you.

USDAW: http://www.usdaw.org.uk/ (applicable to those working in retail, manufacturing, distribution and the service sectors)

UNISON: http://www.unison.org.uk/ (applicable to those in the public sector)

I’m
Unfortunately in the economic climate, young people are having a harder time than usual finding a job. So what can you do to find yourself a job?

Ask your family and friends if their workplaces have any vacancies. Some companies are happy to give jobs to family or friends of current employees, and I know a lot of people who have got their jobs that way
Check the local newspaper you’d be surprised at how many people advertise in the jobs section
Have a look in your local post office, too some people post vacancies on the notice board
Ask local shops if they have any vacancies, or if you’re after something office based, phone or send an email with your CV attached
Check the websites of local but large businesses, such as supermarkets. The majority of large chains do their recruitment process online now, although some still use paper applications so it’s worth going in store and asking anyway
Check out the Websites for finding a job thread, as it has lots of useful job-finding websites listed :smile:
If you’re over 18, register with an agency and they might be able to find you something it tends to be cleaning or factory-based but if you’re not fussy then an agency is a good way to go
Restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs are generally very busy and often have vacancies available. Some will take young people on too, for roles in the kitchen or waitressing. Remember - due to licensing laws you have to be at least 18 to serve alcohol*.
Some colleges have a dedicated jobs board, so it’s worth looking there too
The main thing is to be pro-active in your job search; take your CV around to every business you can think of, with a custom cover letter for each one. It shows you're enthusiastic and want to work for that company.

If you're not sure how to write a cover letter or CV, check out the TSR's tips for writing a cover letter and CV

*Not applicable for positions whereby a supervisor or manager can authorise the sales

What
If you’re looking for something casual, then try Compass Group as they often have catering vacancies available all over the country, including events and the larger music venues.

I got some casual bar work with them at a local music venue, and all I had to do was fill in a form no interview required! It’s ideal if you want a job but can’t commit to set hours every week.

It’s also worth contacting other local businesses, such as bars and restaurants, as they often have vacancies.

I’m

Try websites such as Do It or larger organisations such as The Woodland Trust , The National Trust , and other local charities. Many local businesses will accept work experience students too, so it’s always worth asking. Just be clear about the type of work experience you’re looking for and when you’re available to do it.

If you’re mainly London based, W4MP advertises work experience and jobs in the politics sector if that’s something you’re interested in.

Want to work in fashion? Try Fashion Workie - again, jobs and work placements are advertised here.

Perhaps you’d rather get into the media industry? Some broadcasting companies offer work experience too:
ITV Apprenticeships and Work Experience
Channel 4 - 4Talent Programmes
BBC Work Experience

You can also check out the Direct Gov guide to voluntary work placements .

Please feel free to discuss any part of this post, or post your own websites and tips. If you need any help, please ask - we're happy to help. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is a very good thread, thanks. :smile:
However, according to Section 153 of the Licensing Act 2003
(1)A responsible person commits an offence if on any relevant premises he knowingly allows an individual aged under 18 to make on the premises—
(a)any sale of alcohol, or
(b)any supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to or to the order of a member of the club,
unless the sale or supply has been specifically approved by that or another responsible person.

and that
(4)In this section “responsible person” means—
(a)in relation to licensed premises—
(i)the holder of a premises licence in respect of the premises,
(ii)the designated premises supervisor (if any) under such a licence, or
(iii)any individual aged 18 or over who is authorised for the purposes of this section by such a holder or supervisor,

So the following part of your post is incorrect.
You can see this law here.
Remember - due to licensing laws you have to be at least 18 to serve alcohol.

Regards,
Jackisback
Reply 2
Original post by jackisback
This is a very good thread, thanks. :smile:
However, according to Section 153 of the Licensing Act 2003

and that

So the following part of your post is incorrect.
You can see this law here.

Regards,
Jackisback

Ah, that's normally the case in supermarkets and such :yep: A lot of bars often require that people are over 18 because of course they can't authorise every sale! I'll add in a note however.
Okay. :biggrin:
What is the law on internships? If they don't state any specific time frame or offer you something guaranteed at the end of the it, how can they justify your role being unpaid?
Reply 5
Hey guys check out Bridging the Gap....

www.bridgingthegap.com

It has a good opportunity to get Security work in the Olympics and you will get a BTEC Level 2 qualification in Door Supervision. You could get Security work in the future :gthumb:
Reply 6
Original post by worstkeptsecret
What is the law on internships? If they don't state any specific time frame or offer you something guaranteed at the end of the it, how can they justify your role being unpaid?

There's a lot of controversy around unpaid internships so I couldn't give you a definite answer. What sort of internship are you looking at?
Reply 7
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Hey guys check out Bridging the Gap....

www.bridgingthegap.com

It has a good opportunity to get Security work in the Olympics and you will get a BTEC Level 2 qualification in Door Supervision. You could get Security work in the future :gthumb:

Have you got the right link? That's for a healthcare company :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by inksplodge
Have you got the right link? That's for a healthcare company :tongue:

:laugh: LOL Sorry I just noticed.........

http://www.bridging-the-gap.co.uk

Bridging the Gap in partnership with G4S Secure Solutions :gthumb:
Reply 9

Hey. A couple of the other Careers mods have recommended the following links, so it's well worth checking them out:

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/campaigns/citizenship/unpaid-internships-we-cant-work-for-free/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/nov/27/mps-unpaid-intern-commons

The National Minimum Wage as of October 2011:

16-17 year olds: £3.68

are you bloody serious?!?! fml, what am i getting myself into when i move back to the UK...

In Australia, 17 yr olds get paid like $14 per hour, that is 9.50 pounds!
Reply 11
Original post by Aussie-Pom
are you bloody serious?!?! fml, what am i getting myself into when i move back to the UK...

In Australia, 17 yr olds get paid like $14 per hour, that is 9.50 pounds!

Lol, I am completely serious! I think Australia has a higher cost of living though doesn't it?
Lol, I am completely serious! I think Australia has a higher cost of living though doesn't it?

Slightly higher but the difference is hardly anything though. I'm pretty shocked with the minimum wage of the UK tbh, it seems a joke. Most of the jobs in the UK seem underpaid which is why I understand how so many youngsters want to avoid work these days cause really who can blame them, the pay is ****e.

Looking back on what I'm earning in Canada compared to my job back in the UK I don't know how I was content with earning just 4.92 an hour.

With my current job in Canada at the moment I earn around 7 pounds an hour which was much better compared to my old job in the UK, and thats after tax!
Also note the unemployment rate in Australia is 5.2% while the UK has an embarrassing 8.3% unemployment rate.
God where i live in the Uk its the most unemployed are!!!
damn
There's a lot of controversy around unpaid internships so I couldn't give you a definite answer. What sort of internship are you looking at?

Sorry for slow reply. It was mainly office based work in the media sector (marketing or PR)
Reply 16
Sorry for slow reply. It was mainly office based work in the media sector (marketing or PR)

Try fashionworkie and w4mp, they seem to advertise a lot of (both paid and unpaid) internships :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by AliimzBabii
God where i live in the Uk its the most unemployed are!!!
damn

Hah, look at Greek unemployment - it's over 21%!
Reply 18
Hey guys,

I've always always been on the look out for jobs since I was about 16. So far I've had one real job as a Christmas temp in GAME. That was this Christmas just past.

I've recently had 2 interviews for jobs, one in GAME and one in Blockbuster. I got to the final stage of both interviews and was among the top 2 in both as candidates for the job. Both had been promising all the way through until both D-Day's when both stated that I was an excellent candidate etc and would've walked into the job if I didn't have the possibility of going to university in September.

This is understandable from their view obviously, but my question is - Is it possible to find a job this close to the start of university?

Since I'll be moving 20 miles in either direction to go to uni, it won't be practical for me to sustain a job in this area. I've said in interviews that I'd want to transfer to branches closer to the university if such an opportunity did arise.

I'm slightly peeved at it since I'm doing everything right and it's just my circumstances which may well help in the future are very much ruining my prospects at the moment.

Thanks,
Rhys

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think it does suck that they turn you down for that reason. I recently had an interview at Tesco and they were quite good about expressing that they do transfers and would I get the job, it's likely that I could continue in some role near the Uni. Not got the verdict back on the interview yet, but hopefully they see me as a viable option given how they were keen to talk about transfers.

The summer is a much busier time than most of the year so there should be plenty of employers looking for temp workers.

Quick Reply

Latest