The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2400
It looks like Nevada Del Ruiz might erupt again. Hopefully the government will be effective this time and actually establish some sort of evacuation zone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18481694
Reply 2401
has anyone got the jun 10 GG4A paper?

i tried finding it on the aqa website but it hasn't been published 'due to copyright' reasons
Reply 2402
Original post by Geohelp
is this percent? ums or Marks?

that was in marks
does anybody have the jan 12 geog4a paper? i have the mark scheme but not the question paper
Reply 2404
You know for Mann Whitney and Spearman's rank? What do you do when the data is the same? Like how do you rank them...?

And what are the benefits/limitations of Spearmans, Mann Whitney and Chi Squared?
Original post by dzone25
You know for Mann Whitney and Spearman's rank? What do you do when the data is the same? Like how do you rank them...?

And what are the benefits/limitations of Spearmans, Mann Whitney and Chi Squared?

Give them both the same rank and then skip out the next rank. E.g.

1 4.2
2 4.8
2 4.8
4 5.2

Etc
Reply 2406
the questions are a lot harder this time round for GEO04A
can someone explain what things you need to include for 'Explain how the location of your fieldwork was relevant to the theory / concept / issue being investigated' please?
:smile:
Reply 2407
Original post by becky0294
does anybody have the jan 12 geog4a paper? i have the mark scheme but not the question paper

I can't download it but here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/89530363/AQA-Geography-GEO4A-Geographical-Fieldwork-Investigation-Jan-12
Reply 2408
Original post by Carolinealine
I've only read a few posts but am I the only one who loved that exam?? :L

I loved it. The world cities was the hardest bit for me.

I am a huge physical geography fan and so loved the qs i did... Tectonics q and ecosystems essay.
Original post by rosey76
what did people write for the world cities essay? im not sure if i focused too much on OOT shopping centres.. what that still get marks? im panicking :frown:

This was practically my essay structure if it helps:

- Considered terms like 'impact' and 'urban area' to get the thinking like a geographer marks
- Introduced why out of town centres were springing up, outlined industrial revolution urbanisation too quickly leading to counter urbanisation and suburbanisation (US started trend) which attracted out of town retailing
- Talked about out of town Merry Hill Centre linking it with impacts on the surrounding urban conurbation (largely positive) although some negs from traffic
- Talking about Merry Hill's impacts on the town centre and the inner city Touch Wood Centre (largely negative) - leading to urban decay
- How council initiative have in fact minimised these negatives, the regeneration of Touch Wood has led to urban gentrification counter acting the previous decay
- Conclusion; negative in short term, can be minimised in long term, particularly likely in MEDCs with prominent local council presence like the UK
Original post by rosey76
who did globalisation structured question??

and what did people write for the spatial organisation of TNC's?

didn't like the 10 marker for this! what case studies would you use?!

I liked that question, had revised it the night before!

R+D and HQ in MEDC due to higher skilled workers linking in tacit knowledge
Production in LEDC as cheap wage
Sales worldwide due to globalisation
Reply 2411
Am I the only one who isn't nervous for unit 4a yet?! :wink:

ONLY 1 MORE EXAMS GUYS! WE CAN DO THIS :P
Reply 2412
Original post by popnit
Same, I did get it back but think it was a waste of money tbh! I haven't learnt anything from it, if anything I think what I put overall deservered more than a very high D! pm me if you like :smile:

this is my first time doing the geo 4A and im a bit worried after reading what you put lol

what mark did you get to get a high D??

and any tips for tomorrow argh :frown:
Reply 2413
Original post by rosey76
this is my first time doing the geo 4A and im a bit worried after reading what you put lol

what mark did you get to get a high D??

and any tips for tomorrow argh :frown:

I was 1 mark off a C but I don't understand how I didn't get higher. I got a high A in geog 2!

I think just relax, most things will come to you in the exam. If you wanna revise with someone I'll help you now if you like..just pm me and we can go through a few things for a bit. :smile:
Reply 2414
Original post by popnit
I was 1 mark off a C but I don't understand how I didn't get higher. I got a high A in geog 2!

I think just relax, most things will come to you in the exam. If you wanna revise with someone I'll help you now if you like..just pm me and we can go through a few things for a bit. :smile:

but what raw mark did you get? and im not sure how to pm people :L (im fairly new to this haha)

could you tell me a list of skills or mann Whitney.. not even looked at skills :|
Original post by popnit

That happened to me as well, an A and a D, so dissapointing!
How are you feeling for this one?
Reply 2416
Original post by Kimwarli
That happened to me as well, an A and a D, so dissapointing!
How are you feeling for this one?

Hmmm...fairly confident. I'm more worried about the section B bit..you?
Reply 2417
Original post by rosey76
but what raw mark did you get? and im not sure how to pm people :L (im fairly new to this haha)

could you tell me a list of skills or mann Whitney.. not even looked at skills :|

Mann whitney is simple really. It's not come up so I advise you look this up and learn how to do it.
There are some basic steps to mann whitney.
First you put data in to 2 columns e.g if you're looking at rainfall in two months and you take 6 readings in each month then do two columns for January and June (just for example). Then put in data from readings under each column. Rank each column lowest first BUT remember to rank both columns together. This means, don't do separate ranks for Jan and one for June. Combine them. If the data is as follows:

Jan Jun
200 80
300 200
150 170
400 100
450 70
310 60

Then you know that 60 is the lowest so that gets rank 1, then 70 gets rank 2, then 80 gets rank 3, then 100 gets rank 4, then you use 150 for rank 5 even though it's under Jan. So you go on like this...
Then once you've ranked them, you need to add up your ranks for each column..once this is done use the Mann whitney formula to input the figures. n1 and n2 are the sample sizes so basically 6 for Jan and 6 for Jun.
Hope this helps and please feel free to pass this on.
Reply 2418
I quite liked geog 4a exam! The last question I was a bit like, 'whaaaaat..' lol :P
Reply 2419
fair geog 4A exam i think! loved some of the first questions, struggled for 12 marks on data presentation but waas fine and then the last i just had to waffle on but yeah woo! finally exams are done.x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending