The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
I'm studying World Cities, Conflict and Weather and Climate

Has anyone got any uuseful video links or notes of conflicts I am struggling to understand the Darfur and Sudan wars

I'm so screwed for this exam, any tips or likly topics to revise?
trade vs aid could also come up as a small question for globalisation
Reply 942
Original post by Poppy071
I'm studying World Cities, Conflict and Weather and Climate

Has anyone got any uuseful video links or notes of conflicts I am struggling to understand the Darfur and Sudan wars

I'm so screwed for this exam, any tips or likly topics to revise?

Darfur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgbSiLwOhM - some facts about the conflict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USLDoIiFzzg - basically an overview of the causes and impact, this one helped me

Also, it's quite a recent problem and it's ongoing so if you google it you should be able to get some news articles that summarize everything that's been happening, just make sure you apply it what you're likely to be asked such as causes, economic, social, political, environmental
really need some help, could someone list:

World Cities case studies

Ecosystems case studies

think most of the ones ive learnt are from the textbook but could someone list these as well as any other useful ones and the areas they all apply to :smile:
Original post by mynameiswills
really need some help, could someone list:

World Cities case studies

Ecosystems case studies

think most of the ones ive learnt are from the textbook but could someone list these as well as any other useful ones and the areas they all apply to :smile:

For world cities, I have:
Urbanisation in India - Mumbai and Bangalore
Suburbanisation in Los Angeles
Regeneration in London Docklands (this is good because it covers counter-urbanisation, gentrification, property led regeneration and re-urbanisation)
Sports led regeneration in London (2012 Olympics)
Out of town shopping - Westfield, Stratford
Sustainbility in London and Bangkok

I got these from a textbook, so I guess they cover everything we should know.
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if ANYONE can answer this for me. I was wondering if it is definitely sure that stuff that has appeared in past papers, especially in the earlier June 2010 and Jan 2011 ones, cannot come up again in the June 2012 exam, as they have to cover the whole spec or something? thanks :biggrin: Please answer this, I just need to know :P thanks :biggrin:
Reply 946
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if ANYONE can answer this for me. I was wondering if it is definitely sure that stuff that has appeared in past papers, especially in the earlier June 2010 and Jan 2011 ones, cannot come up again in the June 2012 exam, as they have to cover the whole spec or something? thanks :biggrin: Please answer this, I just need to know :P thanks :biggrin:

I wouldn't risk it, anything is still possible to come up. Best just to learn everything.
Reply 947
Original post by LGrosvenor101

i went to the conference thing, and nothing is repeated unfortunately! just go through past papers and check where there are huge gaps in the specification. use that to figure out what topic questions could be on. it's my best advice and that is to my knowledge. David Redfern (chief examiner) said it himself! :smile:
Reply 948
who does only 3 options for Unit 3?
i do D&G (for human), plates and ecosystems (for physical).

i have to say the best textbook by far to be looking through for info is the philip allan book for all options and on get revising there are loads of other people's notes up on topics.
Reply 949
so we thinking MAYBE for weaather/climate for the short bit on monsoons and bringing in the ITCZ etc? and then for world cities the processes for the short questions hmm?

x
can anybody sum up the responses and management to Hurricane Katrina pleaseeee?
Hey, sorry for all these questions, but for world cities under urbanisation: characteristics, causes and effects, I know the effects in a specific area (Sao Paulo). However, do we need to know effects generally? Its not in the textbook? :/ Thanks :smile:
Reply 952
Is there a link to all the past paper questions anywhere? The AQA past paper website isn't working for me. Is there any other way to get the past papers?
Reply 953
Could someone please help me out... Where exacly does the continental drift theory end before it becomes plate tectonics theory? and what are the examples of each as in

Continental Drift
-Jig saw fit of south america and W.Africa esp continental shelves at 1000m ...
-
-

Plate tectonics theory
-Paleomagnetism
-
-

And if asked about plate tectonics theory does it include the continental drift theory that contributed to the finding of plate tectonics?
(edited 11 years ago)
i think someone has already asked this but i didnt see a reply.

could someone who has looked through the past papers suggest topics for the short questions and essays for tectonics, world cities and ecosystems that are likely to come up???
Reply 955
Original post by mynameiswills
i think someone has already asked this but i didnt see a reply.

could someone who has looked through the past papers suggest topics for the short questions and essays for tectonics, world cities and ecosystems that are likely to come up???

Tectonics most probz not gonna be plate tectonics theory as its likely to be the 40 marker. so will probably be on management and responses to earthquakes (10 marker).. They haven't asked exclusively about P S L waves etc so that might be the 7 marker. Another possibility is Tsunamis.

As far as world cities either Out of city retailing or Sustainability of cities in terms of waste and transport. 40 marker world cites i think will be on global warming
is everyone sure about the plate tectonics essay being on the theory? How do you apply case studies to these sort of questions?
It's more likely Tsunami's will come up, so you can add the synopticity and case studies. If tectonic theory was the 40 marker, i wouldn't know if i could write that much about everything... unless you start mentioning polar wondering curves and sea floor spreading (1962 - by Hess?)
Reply 958
I'm sorry if this has already been posted (which it probably has) but can anyone guess what is most likely to come up in any of the following: World Cities, Plate Tectonics or Weather & Climate?
Original post by Keiran:.
Tectonics most probz not gonna be plate tectonics theory as its likely to be the 40 marker. so will probably be on management and responses to earthquakes (10 marker).. They haven't asked exclusively about P S L waves etc so that might be the 7 marker. Another possibility is Tsunamis.

As far as world cities either Out of city retailing or Sustainability of cities in terms of waste and transport. 40 marker world cites i think will be on global warming

Hey, hasn't out of town retailing already come up though, Jan 2011 'Outline characteristics of an example of an out of town retailing centre' (8 marks)??

Also, seismic waves have also come up before haven't they? Jan 2012: 'Outline the features of seismic waves.' (8 marks)

Original post by jameskealey
It's more likely Tsunami's will come up, so you can add the synopticity and case studies. If tectonic theory was the 40 marker, i wouldn't know if i could write that much about everything... unless you start mentioning polar wondering curves and sea floor spreading (1962 - by Hess?)

Hey, I think tsunamis will be as well :smile: well, I am hoping for it to be the 40 marker! There has also been a theory essay already - Jan 2011? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending