The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Sorry if this has been asked before but has a 40 marker on retailing for world cities come up before?
Original post by jessica111
For ecosystems do we only need to know 1 example of a succession like lithosphere or do we need to know more?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yep, only one. By the way it's lithosere not sphere, the two are very different and if you use the wrong terminology you won't be able to score highly :smile:
Reply 1002
Original post by alicex3
Sorry if this has been asked before but has a 40 marker on retailing for world cities come up before?

No it hasn't, only in the shorter answer questions :smile:
Reply 1003
FAO: Weather and Climate Students

What do you think is going to come up? I've analysed all the previous papers, and they've asked every aspect of the unit apart from "subtopic 3" - Tropical Revolving Storms.

1= General Weather
2= British Isles' climate
3= Monsoon+ TRS
4= Urban Structures
5= Global Warming

They asked Global Warming last paper, so I doubt it'll come up as a short question, but potentially as the essay?

Jan 12= Global warming
June 2011= General Weather
Jan 11= British Isles' weather
June 2010 = Urban Structures

Hopefully, TRS and Monsoon comes up, though they might ask Urban Structures as it hasn't come up in 3 papers. I'm praying that General Weather and British Isle's weather don't come up. Though, Big Dave Redfern might mix things up:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1004
Original post by sensei_mooni
hey can you link me the Jan 2010 paper, can't find it on the aqa website =/

Hey sorry!

I don't have the Jan 2010 either :s-smilie:

I meant 2010 specimen paper. The syllabus changed then so its not on the AQA website.
Reply 1005
Original post by emelizabeth
i didn't know there was a january 2010?

Hey sorry!

I meant the Specimen paper for 2010
Reply 1006
Original post by d_aan
FAO: Weather and Climate Students

What do you think is going to come up? I've analysed all the previous papers, and they've asked every aspect of the unit apart from "subtopic 3" - Tropical Revolving Storms.

1= General Weather
2= British Isles' climate
3= Monsoon+ TRS
4= Urban Structures
5= Global Warming

They asked Global Warming last paper, so I doubt it'll come up as a short question, but potentially as the essay?

Jan 12= Global warming
June 2011= General Weather
Jan 11= British Isles' weather
June 2010 = Urban Structures

Hopefully, TRS and Monsoon comes up, though they might ask Urban Structures as it hasn't come up in 3 papers. I'm praying that General Weather and British Isle's weather don't come up. Though, Big Dave Redfern might mix things up:tongue:

The thing is monsoons are an optional topic, you can choose them or sub-saharan africa or something - so it's unlikely that they'll link them to TRS.

Global warming would be alright for an essay if the plate tectonics essay is a bitch. We'll have to see though :frown:
Reply 1007
Original post by nickss
The thing is monsoons are an optional topic, you can choose them or sub-saharan africa or something - so it's unlikely that they'll link them to TRS.

Global warming would be alright for an essay if the plate tectonics essay is a bitch. We'll have to see though :frown:

It's an optional topic? :confused:

I'm looking through the nelson thornes AQA endorsed textbook and its the only topic they haven't covered. Guess its not in the spec?

skjd snlsdlksew8o4i3upo;ldslrk

that's how I feel right now.
Original post by d_aan
It's an optional topic? :confused:

I'm looking through the nelson thornes AQA endorsed textbook and its the only topic they haven't covered. Guess its not in the spec?

You choose between studying the equatorial, the monsoon or the tropical wet and dry climate :P I've done the tropical wet and dry, so the question, if it is asked, will ask about the characteristics etc of a tropical climate/region that you have studied :smile:
Reply 1009
Original post by LGrosvenor101
You choose between studying the equatorial, the monsoon or the tropical wet and dry climate :P I've done the tropical wet and dry, so the question, if it is asked, will ask about the characteristics etc of a tropical climate/region that you have studied :smile:

I am so confused. Right, in class we've been taught the example in the book ( if you have it its on page 56)

Which talks about the South East Asian Monsoon and the amount of rain it brings in summer/winter. So does this count?
Original post by d_aan
I am so confused. Right, in class we've been taught the example in the book ( if you have it its on page 56)

Which talks about the South East Asian Monsoon and the amount of rain it brings in summer/winter. So does this count?

Which book? If its the Phillip Allan book, i have that :smile: and yeah :smile: because you either get taught the Monsoon, Equatorial, or Tropical Wet and Dry, depends on what your teachers wanted to teach you :P If you look on the spec it says:

The climate of one tropical region (tropical wet/dry savanna or monsoon or equatorial) :biggrin: You don't need to know all 3, only the one that you have gotten taught :biggrin:
Reply 1011
Original post by d_aan

I feel the same about the whole exam :tongue:
I'm so worried about this exam now, you reckon there's enough time for me to teach myself all the stuff again ?
Reply 1013
Ok so for world cities case studies I have:
Urbanistion - Nairobi, Kenya
Urbanisation - Mumbai, India
Suburbanisation - Los Angeles, USA
Counter urbanisation - St Ives, Cambridge
Reurbanisation - gentrification - Notting Hill
Urban Decline - London Docklands
Urban regeneration - property led - London Docklands
Urban regeneration - partnerships - Greenwich Millenium Village
Out of Town Retailing - Trafford Centre
Redevelopment of City Centre - Manchester City Centre
Redevelopment - Birmingham City Centre
Waste management - UK
Waste management - Nairobi, Kenya
Transport management - UK
Sustainable City - Curitiba, Brazil

It's seems like a lot!!!

Is this enough? And does it cover everything we need?

Original post by JSR94
Ok so for world cities case studies I have:
Urbanistion - Nairobi, Kenya
Urbanisation - Mumbai, India
Suburbanisation - Los Angeles, USA
Counter urbanisation - St Ives, Cambridge
Reurbanisation - gentrification - Notting Hill
Urban Decline - London Docklands
Urban regeneration - property led - London Docklands
Urban regeneration - partnerships - Greenwich Millenium Village
Out of Town Retailing - Trafford Centre
Redevelopment of City Centre - Manchester City Centre
Redevelopment - Birmingham City Centre
Waste management - UK
Waste management - Nairobi, Kenya
Transport management - UK
Sustainable City - Curitiba, Brazil

It's seems like a lot!!!

Is this enough? And does it cover everything we need?

Thats is definitely enough! :biggrin: Especially as you only need one case study for each type of urbanisation :P

Sorry, but please may I ask. My teacher who teaches both physical and human classes gave her human classes Curitiba for their sustainable city, but never gave it to us. Please may I ask for just a brief summary of Curitiba please? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Mizz_S
i went to the conference thing, and nothing is repeated unfortunately! just go through past papers and check where there are huge gaps in the specification. use that to figure out what topic questions could be on. it's my best advice and that is to my knowledge. David Redfern (chief examiner) said it himself! :smile:

By that do you mean nothing can come up that has come up before? Surely that's not unfortunate but a good thing :tongue:?
Reply 1016
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Thats is definitely enough! :biggrin: Especially as you only need one case study for each type of urbanisation :P

Sorry, but please may I ask. My teacher who teaches both physical and human classes gave her human classes Curitiba for their sustainable city, but never gave it to us. Please may I ask for just a brief summary of Curitiba please? Thanks :smile:

Thankyou :smile:

Sure, its not that brief & its probably not in a logical order but here you go:
SUSTAINABLE CITY CURITIBA, BRAZIL
•South West Sao Paulo
•2 million people live in Curitiba
•1000km from Rio de Jeniro
•City wide service to recycle products
•Recycling and garbage system prevent waste issues, organic and nonorganic, with two different trucks for different types of rubbish
•The rubbish is sorted and distributed and reused this means that 2/3 of rubbish is recycled
•It also creates more jobs to help reduce unemployment
•Jaime Lerner was an architect and later became mayor and designed the current layout of Curitiba. His view = ‘a city of people. Not cars’
•The city has changed from being an agricultural area to a more industrial city
•There are still green spaces, “solution of the parks” By Lerner.
•Curitiba has 5 structural arteries that run eat to west
•Development along these has been encouraged
•Diverts traffic and congestion from city centre and become pedestrian friendly area
•Bus service designed ass a subway system
•Transports large numbers along numerous routes
•More reliable and easier to use than cars
•Old noisy polluting buses replaced with cleaner and more efficient models
•Locally assembled by Volvo = reduced travelling costs than if the buses were imported
•Glass tube stations are clean and are protected ways in which passengers can wait for the bus
•Platform for tub is parallel to buses = no awkward steps to climb and accessible for wheelchair use
•Alternative would have been a subway but would take decades
•Buses that move people to and from the city
•There are bus lanes along the main roads
•Red buses- Express with few stops
•Orange buses- outlying settlements into the city
•These buses mean that there is little congestion and more land for development
•The buses are 500 times cheaper than using a car
•Express bus lanes doubles the capacity of people who use the buses
•There are pre-paid bus fares to reduce queuing time and extra wide doors on the buses to let people get on easier
•It has reduced travel times by 1/3
•The bus drivers are paid in miles covered not by how many people use the line this means all routes are always covered
•Only 10% of low income earners money goes on transport
•Lowest amount of pollution and low consumption of fuel per capita as well
•There is a highly educated workforce which attracted by international business e.g. Volvo
•Money Curitiba has saved been allocated to special causes
•E.g. 1976, city adopted slum relocation plan to help low-income families in building low-income housing near the centre.
•Created socially integrated neighbourhood that provide public health, education, day care centres and recreational services
•Meets needs of poor people too
•Saved on energy due to low income neighbourhoods as they have all necessary amenities so reduces travel cost
•Very sustainable
•Pedestrianized encourages walking
•Highest recycling rate 70%
•However 10% of peoples wage goes on transport
•Bus lanes cause conflict with cars
•People recycle and get travel tokens in return
•Encourage recycling in schools

Hope its of some use to you :smile:

Are you going to be writing a human essay?

Also do you do development & globalisation, if so what cases do you have for it?
Reply 1017
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/en//id/213

There's a speech from the man who helped set up curitiba (sustainable cities)
Has anybody got any notes on 'sustainable tourism' ? Or any advice on what to write about it if it came up in the exam?!
Reply 1019
Original post by smellycat123
Has anybody got any notes on 'sustainable tourism' ? Or any advice on what to write about it if it came up in the exam?!

I was just looking for this too and found this:

Sustainable tourism myth or reality?
As tourism is an increasingly expanding, billion dollar industry, it has increasingly been looked at to become more sustainable. Up until now it has followed this pattern:
•The environment attracts tourists for its attractions
•The money spent should help to maintain these features
However as tourist flows increase it starts to do more harm than good, particularly to small areas which can’t deal with the massive influx, this can lead to the destruction of farm land to golf courses, and destroying natural habitats such as coral reefs, destroyed by water sports ,e.g. Philippines .
Sustainable tourism ‘seeks not to destroy what it sets out to explore’ It attempts to make sure that:
•It preserves natural resources for future generations.
•The local communities and their culture are recognised as the most important in the tourist sector
•Economic benefits of tourism must partly go to those who are local to the area
•Everything is guided by the wishes of local people and communities
At the Rio Earth Summit an environmental checklist was drawn up to show how the tourism industry could become more sustainable, these included:
•Waste minimisation, land use, re-use and recycling
•Energy efficiency, conservation and management
•Transport
•Water (freshwater and waste)
•Land use planning and management
•Involvement of all stakeholders in the planning
•Involvement of staff, customers and communities in environmental issues
Sustainable tourism is an industry committed to making a low impact on the natural environment and local culture, while helping to generate income and employment for local people. Tourist can help by:
•Being informed of the local culture, politics and economy
•Respecting local cultures
•Contributing to local cultures and tolerance
•Supporting local businesses and traditional values
•Use the least amount of local resources
Ecotourism
•Is one of the fastest growing sectors within tourism
•An economic process by which rare and beautiful ecosystems and cultural attractions are marketed internationally to attract tourists
•Planning and management is an important factor
oCapacity is managed
oEncourages conservation, by educating local people and tourists
oFocuses on the environment
•Criticised for being ‘egotourism’ in some cases. Sustainable ecotourism must :
oHave a limit to the number of visitors to sustain the environment
oSet up and run in cooperation with local people

I had Costa Rica for a case study but this document has these two:

Nepal
Providing jobs for local people
Possible multiplier effects as well as helping to fund future development
these allow tourists to experience life in Nepal as well as witnessing the wildlife
concentrated in certain areas such as Khumbu, Chitwan National Park, Annapurna National Park and the Sagarmartha National Park,
The number of tourists increasing from 526,705 in 2007 to 710,547 in 2011,
Actions must be taken in order to preserve Nepal.
Problems with air pollution from the transport of tourists and fires getting trapped in the valleys due to the high mountains
Increased demand for water and food supplies, taking away goods from the locals
The same tracks are used by all of the tourists, erosion and destabilises the soil
Increased the risk of landslides.
Some tourists are also not respectful of people’s culture and the wildlife
Poor sewage disposal
Khumbu region problem with the amount of waste generated by trekking teams
500kg per team all waste must be taken down the mountain
•rubbish there have been clean up operations carried out during training and acclimatisation time of people who wish to climb Mt. Everest
•for people to pay the Sherpa’s to carry down peoples rubbish
•Nepalese Government has begun charging deposits on tourists and are only returned if groups bring down their own rubbish
•Nepalese Government that they should limit the number of tourists
•Dismissed as it has been concluded that this will bring more harm than good, by limiting one of the country’s biggest industries they could face increased widespread poverty.

Kenya, Kigio
Tourism is the 2nd largest contributor of GNP after agriculture. One example of where agriculture has been replaced by tourism is Kigio.
•Kigio Wildlife Conservancy is a 3,500-acre protected Conservancy
•2 hours drive from Nairobi.
•Originally a cattle ranch, sold by the family to the local community who after a few years decided to forgo cattle ranching in favour of wildlife conservation.
•The community now receives a regular income
•Conservancy fee each guest pays helps towards the maintenance of the conservancy.

•Wide ranging habitats
•Many wild animals, honey badger, and over 200 bird species
•Protecting nearly 100 species of indigenous plant species which are being destroyed outside the conservancy.
•The Conservancy is at the forefront of ecotourism in the Rift Valley lakes area. oGuests are encouraged to participate in low impact activities guided nature/bird walks, cycling, fishing
oDay or night game drives are conducted in open-sided 4x4 vehicles
•Lodges work closely with the local community and support several enterprises, schools and an orphanage.
•Guests can visit a group of widows that craft sisal baskets, a group that makes jewellery from recycled paper and a rug weaving factory.
•The lodges only sell what is made by the community and pay a fair price.
A large percentage of the price is donated to the community fund.
•Every year, children from the local community and schools are invited to participate in ecotourism workshops
•To protect and improve their environment.

Hope this helps you as it has me :smile: (sorry its sooo long)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending