The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myyrh
Looks that way to me unfortunately :frown: No need to dwell on it though :smile: Just do your best in the upcoming one and try not to expect amazingly high UMS. I know it sounds weird but In the stuff I'm not confident with I usually do the best in :colondollar: So maybe it may work for you :tongue:

Oh yes, I know how that is! I thought I'd done quite well on the Psychology papers, but ended up with B's and C's (papers 3 and 2 respectively) and felt average-ish for the Geog paper. Just goes to show confidence levels after an exam can be very misleading!

Oh, and I did a scholarship exam for Aberystwyth. Got 12% higher on Human than Physical, despite me preferring Physical!!

Now, let's gang up on paper 3 and knock it out!
Reply 141
Original post by HotfireLegend
Oh yes, I know how that is! I thought I'd done quite well on the Psychology papers, but ended up with B's and C's (papers 3 and 2 respectively) and felt average-ish for the Geog paper. Just goes to show confidence levels after an exam can be very misleading!

Oh, and I did a scholarship exam for Aberystwyth. Got 12% higher on Human than Physical, despite me preferring Physical!!

Now, let's gang up on paper 3 and knock it out!

You must be joking :eek: I never want to see another GEOG3 paper again. Once Is more than enough. :colondollar:
Original post by myyrh
You must be joking :eek: I never want to see another GEOG3 paper again. Once Is more than enough. :colondollar:

Forgot you did it already!! I need to go to bed :P

*Applies question to everyone else* :colondollar:
I'm doing Plate Tectonics, Ecosystems, World Cities and Development & Globalisation
I despise ecosystems, seeing as I know I'm definitely doing a human essay and I'll have a C even if I get 0 on this exam... does anyone think I'd be insane neglecting to revise it, cause I have 2 really important physics modules I need to concentrate on. :/
Reply 144
60% ish raw, a difference of 30% from the teacher's 90% marking.

I wish I was doing Weather and Conflict actually! Globalisation's very boring (for me) and Conflict seems fun and comparitively easy compared to Glob. I've wabted the Weather topic because I'm more of a physical than human geographer. World Cities just expands more on Globalisation, but there's less stuff about companies and more about population (from AS) so I guess it's better.

Conflicts was by far the most interesting unit for me across A2 and AS. We were learning about the breakup of Yugoslavia and the Israel-Palestine conflict which I seem to find really interesting:tongue:

Weather is okay but I didn't do it at GCSE, so I had to visit BBC bitesize for the first time in years to brush up on my knowledge:biggrin:
Reply 145
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
IMO I wouldn't split it into 45/45/1hr. The first two sections are 25 marks each and are pretty straight forward tbh. I would say spend at least 1hr on these sections and 1hr 30 for the 40 mark :smile:

I can never do a 40 mark in an hour :frown:

We've done tectonics, finishing globalisation and just starting conflict..so not too much to go.

How are you splitting the 30 minutes for your 7,8,10 markers tho?
I'm just curious; would you say 3,10 and 17minutes for each?
I'm still clueless about how long the 10 marker question looks like realistically on paper...i'm assuming maximum 2 pages no?
Original post by youcanfly
How are you splitting the 30 minutes for your 7,8,10 markers tho?
I'm just curious; would you say 3,10 and 17minutes for each?
I'm still clueless about how long the 10 marker question looks like realistically on paper...i'm assuming maximum 2 pages no?

Well I would split the first 2 sections 30 mins..Its up to you how long you spend on the 7,8 and 10. The first 2 sections are pretty straightforward I would say. If you could do a 7 marker in 3 mins then go ahead, I know I cant :smile: 7,8,10 mins or something,,donno :s-smilie:

The 10 marker I'm guessing should be just a page. I'm sure that's enough no?

:cool:
Reply 147
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2

The 10 marker I'm guessing should be just a page. I'm sure that's enough no?

I assume so, but you don't know how much our teacher makes us write for our homeworks.... I always assumed a ten marker two be two pages WORD PROCESSED. but now i realise i've got so much to compress.....
better get practicing then! Thanks a lot :smile:
In my opinion 2 pages for a 10 marker is a waste of time, unless you get 10/10..then I donno :/
Hey guys! I don't know why I hadn't discovered this thread before now, but yeah, I'm doing this exam in summer. I need a mid C in this one to get an A overall which is pretty nice :biggrin:

Our class has been taught Tectonics & Hazards (can't remember what the actual name for this module is), Weather & Climate, Ecosystems and World Cities. So section B is definitely going to be World Cities, leaving the choice of three physical units for sections A and C, which is ideal really because World Cities is easy and I'm definitely a physical geographer. I'll probably do Tectonics & Hazards for the essay, I have some really nice hazards case studies, and if it's a question on tectonic theory I'm pretty solid with that.

How much time are people planning to spend on each question? People in this thread are saying 30 mins for sections A and B - surely you don't need 90 mins for the essay? I'm thinking 40, 40, 70...

Also I think 2 pages is way too much for 10 marks, I didn't even write 2 pages for the 15 mark questions in GEOG1
I'll be choosing the essay first and then looking at the other questions for the units to do. An hour for the essay, 30 mins per other unit. I get extra time.
There are a lot of helpful posts in here, so I've attached my volcanic eruption case studies if anyone wants to look at them. I've done Nevado del Ruiz and Eyjafjallajokull (yes I can spell and pronounce that by heart :biggrin:). They're not brilliant, but I made it to present to the class, not for revision (pretty much all of my notes are handwritten, sorry!)
I do Mt St Helens and Montserrat for my volcanoes, but thanks anyway!
I've found a few more things that might be of help to people. For weather and climate there's a big essay we did on global warming (not a 40 mark question, I've written way too much for one of those), and for ecosystems a TRF management scheme, an urban ecosystem case study, and a mind map thing on threats to global biodiversity (it's not as complete as I'd like but I ran out of space)
(edited 12 years ago)
I do Mt St Helens and Montserrat for my volcanoes, but thanks anyway!

Yeah no problem, there might be people in here that find them useful anyway. My geography teacher always says it's good to just have some case studies you can very briefly drop in without going into detail for synopticity.
Ooh, threats to global biodiversity :3

In synoptic-requiring essays, they usually like you to refer to the location within the first few sentences and to then talk about them in reference to the question throughout the whole thing, I believe.
Ooh, threats to global biodiversity :3

In synoptic-requiring essays, they usually like you to refer to the location within the first few sentences and to then talk about them in reference to the question throughout the whole thing, I believe.

Yeah I know, obviously you really should go into detail on at least one or two case studies for a good essay, but namedropping is good too just for a bit of extra flair. For example you might say "The eruption of Mt St. Helens in 1980 changed the way volcanic eruptions are managed in MEDCs..." even if Mt St. Helens isn't your major case study. Probably not the best example, but sometimes it just feels appropriate to mention an event without going into massive amounts of detail :smile:
Original post by lukas1051
Yeah I know, obviously you really should go into detail on at least one or two case studies for a good essay, but namedropping is good too just for a bit of extra flair. For example you might say "The eruption of Mt St. Helens in 1980 changed the way volcanic eruptions are managed in MEDCs..." even if Mt St. Helens isn't your major case study. Probably not the best example, but sometimes it just feels appropriate to mention an event without going into massive amounts of detail :smile:

I'll try that out in my next essay :biggrin:
Original post by lukas1051
Hey guys! I don't know why I hadn't discovered this thread before now, but yeah, I'm doing this exam in summer. I need a mid C in this one to get an A overall which is pretty nice :biggrin:

Our class has been taught Tectonics & Hazards (can't remember what the actual name for this module is), Weather & Climate, Ecosystems and World Cities. So section B is definitely going to be World Cities, leaving the choice of three physical units for sections A and C, which is ideal really because World Cities is easy and I'm definitely a physical geographer. I'll probably do Tectonics & Hazards for the essay, I have some really nice hazards case studies, and if it's a question on tectonic theory I'm pretty solid with that.

How much time are people planning to spend on each question? People in this thread are saying 30 mins for sections A and B - surely you don't need 90 mins for the essay? I'm thinking 40, 40, 70...

Also I think 2 pages is way too much for 10 marks, I didn't even write 2 pages for the 15 mark questions in GEOG1

Well for me I can't do a 40 marker in an 1hr or so..That's just me I guess. 40,40,70 is good but it depends on individuals..
im hoping to get an A* overall in Geography, i got 40/60 in the Geog 4A paper but resitting it to see if i can get any extra UMS marks, as it stands what score would i need in the Geog 3 paper to get an A* overall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending