Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a job better than uni?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in my first year at university studying Ancient History. I'm not enjoying it at all though. At A Level I reallly enjoyed Classical Civilisation but I find that now I'm at uni it isn't as interesting. I feel like whenever we are asked to do any essay or discussion we areen't being asked for our opinions but rather the opinions of the scholars we have read.

I have been feeling quite unhappy for the last few months because I feel like I have signed up for three years of pointlessness. I don't feel a degree is worth getting myself £18,000 in debt for, especially if I'm not enjoying it. I also don't know how useful an Ancient History degree will actually be in the future.

I have thought of returning home and starting a job with training, or maybe taking an evening or far distance learning course alongside a job. Do you think it's worth sticking it out with my degree?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it university you don't like or your degree? Maybe take a gap year, travel, possibly work for a bit - see what it is you'd like to do?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should try a different university. Universities are quite varied in how they deliver the course material.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkaria)
    Hey,

I'm currently in my first year at university studying Ancient History. I'm not enjoying it at all though. At A Level I reallly enjoyed Classical Civilisation but I find that now I'm at uni it isn't as interesting. I feel like whenever we are asked to do any essay or discussion we areen't being asked for our opinions but rather the opinions of the scholars we have read.

I have been feeling quite unhappy for the last few months because I feel like I have signed up for three years of pointlessness. I don't feel a degree is worth getting myself £18,000 in debt for, especially if I'm not enjoying it. I also don't know how useful an Ancient History degree will actually be in the future.

I have thought of returning home and starting a job with training, or maybe taking an evening or far distance learning course alongside a job. Do you think it's worth sticking it out with my degree?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Hmm, I would consider is a history degree really going to help you get a job, considering you get in 18k, and may have to spend along time looking for a job ontop of the 3 years.

I think maybe finding a decent job is best, and you could do night study along with it, or an open university degree. Don't just quit, but consider your options.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apa)
    Is it university you don't like or your degree? Maybe take a gap year, travel, possibly work for a bit - see what it is you'd like to do?
    I don't enjoy my degree but I think it is also the fact that I just don't want to be in education anymore. I kind of want to just go and hit the real world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I believe that a job can be a better alternative to University, especially if you're also doing some sort of qualification alongside full-time work (OU or just a part-time course at a local college). But in the current economic climate, statistically it's harder to get a job than it is to get a University place, and I believe that is why so many students are put off by work.

In many ways, a University degree is valuable, and the life experience you can gain from living away from your parent's home will also come in useful - but after you graduate you'll be facing an almost identical job market than what it was when you went to Uni. A number of employers are turning up graduates for people who have more experience and skills.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am a mature student and I originally did an Apprenticeship and worked jobs rather that going to Uni etc, but I find now that I am older that I want to study, maybe I feel like I missed out by not going to Uni I don't know?
    I do find it sometimes helps you and sometimes hinders you when applying for jobs too! Sometimes you are under qualified or over qualified, I think you just have to trust your gut and do what feels right. Then go back to it later in life :-)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like above, I did an apprenticeship after leaving 6th form. In my last year now and really regret not going to uni, so I am going to finish my apprenticeship this year as planned and start at Uni in September.

I wish I had of gone to uni 4 years ago like I should of done, but I was fed up of FTE, and didn't really know what I wanted to do. After 3.5 years working, while studying p/t, I now know what I want to do, and am ready to go back to FTE.

If it wasn't for this break I would of messed up Uni, and wasted a lot of time and money. Maybe you just need a similar break too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I worked straight from college for 7years, i have slight regret i didnt go uni earlier, but i also have no regret about the life values etc it has taught me as i have matured far more than i think i would of from uni.

i got thrown in at the deep end.

i have no regrets either way from it. but i am glad i am now going to uni.

the choice is entirely what you want from life.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't enjoy my degree but I think it is also the fact that I just don't want to be in education anymore. I kind of want to just go and hit the real world.
    I quit uni to work, best decision I've ever made! I've learned more in the past couple of years than in my entire academic career, and I feel so much more mature and "grown up" than my friends who are still at uni. Plus I have a secure job with lots of experience behind me, which is more than a lot of graduates are able to get at the moment.

I'm starting a part time degree in October, doing something which I know I want to do after having had 2 years to think about it. If you ever want to go back to uni the option is always open to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    I quit uni to work, best decision I've ever made! I've learned more in the past couple of years than in my entire academic career, and I feel so much more mature and "grown up" than my friends who are still at uni. Plus I have a secure job with lots of experience behind me, which is more than a lot of graduates are able to get at the moment.

I'm starting a part time degree in October, doing something which I know I want to do after having had 2 years to think about it. If you ever want to go back to uni the option is always open to you.
    What's your job out of interest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:

I'm still at uni, my parents encouraged me to stick out the year since it wouldn't cost anymore and I may change my mind. However I'm still finding uni a big disappointment and I feel so depressed by it.

My major problem is that moving home seems a really unlikely option now. There isn't any room at home now as my sister has moved back home and I've now got a boyfriend at uni. I want to stay living where I am without having to be at uni. Does anyone know any companies that may offer apprenticeships or entry level jobs for people with no experience? Based in Cardiff?

I'm becoming desperate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I felt exactly the same way when i started my A levels, i did really well at school but then i just had enough!

looking down the road to one path: you could stick with it like i did, and i know i didn't spend all that money, but i still wish i hadn't gone to college. I didn't have any future certainty in the way of plans, didn't know what i wanted to do, so i've chosen non-descript a levels, gotten rejected from all my uni choices because my heart wasn't in it and it was totally last minute.

I enjoy my job more, and now i've finally made my mind up, i want to stick with my job and paint my days away and i've gotten a few commissions and it's so much more rewarding that college for me, since now i just feel like it was a waste of time and money - i've been offered a promotion at work and that excites me more! I could have been at this point and beyond two years ago if i'd just gone with my gut instinct and not stuck with education because i thought i'd never get anywhere in the world if i didn't go.

Now i'm realising, if you work hard and build relationships with people, it'll take you just as far and you get experience too.

So thats my experiences and just one outcome Might help a little, do what makes you feel happy and free . . . you can always return to education

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.