Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*Updated Mk1* Project Opel Speedster, a fast car to beat an expensive junk.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The OP is basically the plotline for:

Fast and The Furious 6: Suburban Disputes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they've got a Rover V8 putting out 1000bhp, then I suspect that it will have exploded before you've reached the end of that first straight. In fact, it will have exploded a few seconds after turning the key. There's no way that engine can put out that sort of power, whatever is spent on it. Frankly, anybody who starts with that as a base when aiming for 1000bhp needs to be sectioned. Same goes for the NSX engine.

Get a Mini, stick a 'busa engine in it, add a turbo and then spend the rest of your money on the handling. I suspect an Elise with that engine in will handle like an absolute dog and something well sorted with much less power could beat it round the 'ring.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    This idea has been mentioned a few times by several people.

Use a Caterham chassis or that of an Ariel Atom and merge 2 Hayabusa engines together into a very lightweight engine.

Any other suggestions for a good engine?
    SR8?

• 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    audi s4 b5. Max the hell out of it. If you got the cash you can easily hit 800whp+ and due to the 4WD drivetrain, the torque on it is immense so great acceleration and top speed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a Nissan Skyline/GTR (old or new they can still produce big HP) or an Ariel Atom V8. That is assuming you've got the money for such a thing in the first place
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    He has this car on order, it's called a Hennessey Venom. Basically it is just a Lotus Elise with a GM 6.2L V8 engine twin-turbo good for 1200hp. 0-60mph is in the sub 3 second range. Top speed is in excess of 250mph and could hit 280mph in "correct" conditions. The downside to it is it actually doesn't handle all that well and is rather heavy for such a small car, close to 1400kg am told. Cost : He won't say but rumour has it that it is close to US$850,000
    the other guy/girl (or wat ever) sounds like an idiot...and the car u descriped sounds like its completely unbalanced (too much weight on rear, no weight on front for grip). That thing is dangerously OVERPOWERED. Please try to tell that person NOT to race, he'll kill himself.

you dont need anything special...

Any good standard race car can beat this guy......you can even take a prius...

the other guy'll probably spin out and go bang anyways....lol
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    SR8?
    A good suggestion but also off budget.

(Original post by M4LLY)
    I'd say a Nissan Skyline/GTR (old or new they can still produce big HP) or an Ariel Atom V8. That is assuming you've got the money for such a thing in the first place
    R35 GTRs are off budget as well, in any case the gearbox would probably require very expensive upgrades to not fail due to the extra power.

R34s are off also, you can't find one here in working condition and RHD.

Looking out for an Ariel Atom, but not really been diligent about it, so far found 2 but both were in bad shape.

(Original post by zedeneye1)
    the other guy/girl (or wat ever) sounds like an idiot...and the car u descriped sounds like its completely unbalanced (too much weight on rear, no weight on front for grip). That thing is dangerously OVERPOWERED. Please try to tell that person NOT to race, he'll kill himself.

you dont need anything special...

Any good standard race car can beat this guy......you can even take a prius...

the other guy'll probably spin out and go bang anyways....lol
    Heh... I've no doubt that all 3 know perfectly well what they are into.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about trying to shoehorn a Merlin engine in somewhere? 1200hp, 20+ litres of displacement? If you only needed 3 laps of the ring out of it then no doubt you could turn up the boost pressures and push it to 1500 horses?

Or go the other way and put 2 bike engines together? Even 2 highly tuned 1000cc engines will push out only 350 horse though, so you need to throw away all the weight you can, and be very aerodynamic.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    How about trying to shoehorn a Merlin engine in somewhere? 1200hp, 20+ litres of displacement? If you only needed 3 laps of the ring out of it then no doubt you could turn up the boost pressures and push it to 1500 horses?

Or go the other way and put 2 bike engines together? Even 2 highly tuned 1000cc engines will push out only 350 horse though, so you need to throw away all the weight you can, and be very aerodynamic.
    yeah - hey why not have a turbo deltic engine... that's 3000 hp or something - it'd be sure to go like a rocket :unsure:

the hyabusa engine has already been mentioned several times - TTS for example say they can supercharge it for 300hp (single engine) and it still fits in the bike
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

the hyabusa engine has already been mentioned several times - TTS for example say they can supercharge it for 300hp (single engine) and it still fits in the bike
    They dont last very long at 300 horse though. Turbo's on bikes are only used for high speed runs, not the sort of twisting, turning, up and down the rev range work the OP has in mind. They take a long time to spool up, and are generally run at a pretty low boost pressure.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, this project is ON

The seller has accepted my offer.

Car in question is an 02 Opel Speedster, essentially I only have the aluminium chassis frame, the GRP body shell, 2 very dirty seats, a gear lever, pedals and a steering wheel. Everything else is either not there, buggered or shot.

No engine, it blew and later got stolen. Gearbox, am told it needs new bearings so it will need a rebuild. Suspension, all 4 corners are buggered, need new arms in the front and shocks all round. Cooling system, the radiator is not there. Most of the electrical parts are buggered too I'm guessing as the car was submerged in 5ft of water after a flood.

OK... let the ideas flow.............. hope I didn't just donate good money away *fingers crossed*
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, just an update, the following are the participants to this 4th of July 2012.

1) Hennessey Venon. 6.2l GM engine (some poking and prodding am told it's not a twin-turbo version)
    2) Lotus Elise 3.5l tuned Rover V8, claims 1000hp, but ermmm... will see what he does, though either way am sure he knows what he is doing.
    3) Lotus Elise with a NSX engine and drivetrain, am told it is a 3.5l Super GT spec engine and it is turbo-charged, not sure what kind of output this one can realistically put out.
    4) Lotus Elise with a Lotus Esprit V8 engine to it.... I've no intelligence on this one other than it is being built with a bottomless budget.
    5) KTM.... I have no idea what this is but it will be a stock. He isn't taking part for the win.
    6) An old VW Beetle with a 911 (964) engine.
    7) A Mazda MX5 Mk1 with a 2.5V6 conversion (taken from a Jaguar S-type)
    8) A Smart Roadster with a turbocharged Hayabusa engine. This one will be very light and driven by a very light-weight driver too as he is only 5'3.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    If they've got a Rover V8 putting out 1000bhp, then I suspect that it will have exploded before you've reached the end of that first straight. In fact, it will have exploded a few seconds after turning the key. There's no way that engine can put out that sort of power, whatever is spent on it. Frankly, anybody who starts with that as a base when aiming for 1000bhp needs to be sectioned. Same goes for the NSX engine.

Get a Mini, stick a 'busa engine in it, add a turbo and then spend the rest of your money on the handling. I suspect an Elise with that engine in will handle like an absolute dog and something well sorted with much less power could beat it round the 'ring.

Exactly.
    Anyone who claims 1000bhp from a Rover V8 is bull****ting. It cannot be done.
    There are maybe a handful of RV8's that have cracked the 550bhp / 750ftlbs barrier but barely by much more!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how much a crate engine from these chaps cost or if you already know about them:

http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/engines/

Might be worth trying to put one of those in there, also remember to put aside a fair chunk of the budget for tyres.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    They dont last very long at 300 horse though. Turbo's on bikes are only used for high speed runs, not the sort of twisting, turning, up and down the rev range work the OP has in mind. They take a long time to spool up, and are generally run at a pretty low boost pressure.
    SUpercharger has different characteristics to a turbocharger including not suffering lag problems of the same order...
    Also I believe superchargers are more simple to set up for one off projects

supercharger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
    turbocharger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

fwiw The ariel atom (ferinstance) is or was available with a supercharged engine (but not a turbo)

salient points are
    1. people are already making a V8 out of hyabusa units eg http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/4550396.htm incl afaik the proposed 500hp hartley V8 for the atom.
    2. people are already successfully supercharging single hyabusa engines eg http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk.../Hayabusa.html

taking 1+2 it may be possible to get a lightweight hyabusa based engine of around 600hp using a supercharger that's durable enough for this application.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Not sure how much a crate engine from these chaps cost or if you already know about them:

http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/engines/

Might be worth trying to put one of those in there, also remember to put aside a fair chunk of the budget for tyres.
    I was on the phone with them earlier today.

The cost for the engine, auxiliary functions, ECU, wiring loom and 1 round of consumables (minus oils) will set me back £24000. That assumes for it to run NA, for turbo or supercharger you must add a further £4000 + cost of the turbo or supercharger and intercoolers. That is before VAT and shipping... :eek:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    I was on the phone with them earlier today.

The cost for the engine, auxiliary functions, ECU, wiring loom and 1 round of consumables (minus oils) will set me back £24000. That assumes for it to run NA, for turbo or supercharger you must add a further £4000 + cost of the turbo or supercharger and intercoolers. That is before VAT and shipping... :eek:
    Holy crap! **** that ****! Was that for the V8?

I was looking at these with a mate in my Mechatronics lecture.

http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Superchar...Kits_Cars.aspx
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    SUpercharger has different characteristics to a turbocharger including not suffering lag problems of the same order...
    Also I believe superchargers are more simple to set up for one off projects

supercharger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
    turbocharger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

fwiw The ariel atom (ferinstance) is or was available with a supercharged engine (but not a turbo)

salient points are
    1. people are already making a V8 out of hyabusa units eg http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/4550396.htm incl afaik the proposed 500hp hartley V8 for the atom.
    2. people are already successfully supercharging single hyabusa engines eg http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk.../Hayabusa.html

taking 1+2 it may be possible to get a lightweight hyabusa based engine of around 600hp using a supercharger that's durable enough for this application.
    You really dont need to tell me the difference between a supercharger and turbocharger. Nor do you need to tell me that its possible to charge hayabusa engines. What I do doubt is that its possible to make a charged engine running at any significant boost pressure which is reliable and robust enough to be used in a race car. Ive seen turbo'd and supercharged bike engines, and as I said before they are generally used for high speed runs, not track work when you're up and down the gears.

The stock Hayabusa engine turns out about 170hp, so 2 will be producing 340 horse. You think its possible to take an engine which is in a fairly high state of tune anyway, and almost double the power? Personally I think it'll be a quick way of turning expensive machined pieces of metal into manged scrap. Thats not to say you wont do it - put the thing on a dyno and run it and see 600 horse appear, then take the engine into the real world and run it and see how long it lasts.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really dont need to tell me the difference between a supercharger and turbocharger. Nor do you need to tell me that its possible to charge hayabusa engines. What I do doubt is that its possible to make a charged engine running at any significant boost pressure which is reliable and robust enough to be used in a race car. Ive seen turbo'd and supercharged bike engines, and as I said before they are generally used for high speed runs, not track work when you're up and down the gears.

The stock Hayabusa engine turns out about 170hp, so 2 will be producing 340 horse. You think its possible to take an engine which is in a fairly high state of tune anyway, and almost double the power? Personally I think it'll be a quick way of turning expensive machined pieces of metal into manged scrap. Thats not to say you wont do it - put the thing on a dyno and run it and see 600 horse appear, then take the engine into the real world and run it and see how long it lasts.
    Few quick points. If you stick two engines together you will never get double the power due to more vibrations and the universe hating us. Secondly the Hayabusa is a pretty robust engine and the stock components are pretty beefy, you can tune and bore them out to get a lot more poke (1500cc radical SR3s use a bored out busa and are knocking on 250, though this is with high compression pistons etc). Also, the busa can handle a turbo and be reliable, again take a look at radical turbos. The key thing to remember is that they are race engines and require a lot more servicing/baby sitting than a regular engine, they only really like to operate in a specific condition range.

Normally you would be mostly right though in regards to tuning already highly tuned kit.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

The stock busa isn't all that mental, 600cc sport bikes make 125hp but they rev a bit higher than tourer engines.

I'm assuming Op's after a track car and will use something else for nipping down Morrisons.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.