The Student Room Group

LSE MSc in Finance & Private Equity vs. MIT Master of Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MIT!

LSE is nice, but the F&PE is not EME.

I would prefer MIT!

But its oyur decision. :wink: And soft factors maybe count for LSE...
Reply 21
If you want to work in the US, go with MIT's program. If you want to work in the UK/Europe, LSE or the other programs you listed would be better. You still have the option of doing an MBA in the US if you want and with that GMAT you will have no problem getting into a top B school.

Also, I am sure you will be able to get into a well respected bank with an LSE degree. You can transfer to the US to work if you want. Finance is a rather global industry and you should have no problem moving around. LSE is known in the US and respected and the place you work carries as much weight, if not more, as the place you went to school.

Get into Goldman, DB, HSBC, etc and that will mitigate any potential loss in brand you might have going to LSE over MIT.

Side note. With the strength in the pound and overall weakness in the dollar, is MIT's tuition really that much higher?
Reply 22
Original post by MSFHQsite
If you want to work in the US, go with MIT's program. If you want to work in the UK/Europe, LSE or the other programs you listed would be better. You still have the option of doing an MBA in the US if you want and with that GMAT you will have no problem getting into a top B school.

Also, I am sure you will be able to get into a well respected bank with an LSE degree. You can transfer to the US to work if you want. Finance is a rather global industry and you should have no problem moving around. LSE is known in the US and respected and the place you work carries as much weight, if not more, as the place you went to school.

Get into Goldman, DB, HSBC, etc and that will mitigate any potential loss in brand you might have going to LSE over MIT.

Side note. With the strength in the pound and overall weakness in the dollar, is MIT's tuition really that much higher?

It is significantly higher - It is $74000, with a Sloan Fellowship I would receive $64000 to pay, which is approx. €48000. LSE is 26000GBP, whis is approx. €31000.. so 17000 difference in tuition only..
health insurance in the US is much more a year, same goes for flights to Boston from Germany in comparison to flying to London... also the MIT program is longer, thus 3 more months of living expenses...

However, last weekend I kind of decided to choose MIT and today received an offer from Cambridge which again got me thinking - might not be such a good choice for banking but I do not want to go into banking anyways.. it is a prestigious university, a more flexible program than LSE (not as flexible as MIT) taught at 3 faculties and tuition is really low in comparison to the other programs..

Any thoughts on this third option?
Reply 23
Which Cambridge course is it? To my mind that would be a much harder decision vs MIT! I might be tempted in this instance to let the lower costs sway me :wink:
Reply 24
it's the MPhil in Finance...
I know that for Banking in London LSE is probably the better choice..
But my reason for the Master is not to get into banking..
it's my interest in receiving more academic education than during my management undergrad, to be part of a great university, network, learn and also prepare for eventually doing a PhD..
I might work in consulting after the Master, and here, in Germany, MIT over Cambridge over LSE does not really make a difference with regards to chances, entry, etc....

I also also very tempted now to let the lower cost sway me away..
Reply 25
Any advice on Cambridge MPhil Finance vs. MIT?
Reply 26
I was just about to post :smile:

I just came across this article on the MIT programme which I thought you might be interested in:
http://www.businessweek.com/business-schools/an-mba-alternative-mit-sloans-master-of-finance-program-02132012.html

It does seem like it is very much aimed at people wanting to work in the industry. The Cambridge programme has been "criticised" for being too academic, but if you are planning to do a PhD, that is probably exactly what you want.
Reply 27
Great article - thanks.
Reply 28
Original post by sj27
I was just about to post :smile:

I just came across this article on the MIT programme which I thought you might be interested in:
http://www.businessweek.com/business-schools/an-mba-alternative-mit-sloans-master-of-finance-program-02132012.html

It does seem like it is very much aimed at people wanting to work in the industry. The Cambridge programme has been "criticised" for being too academic, but if you are planning to do a PhD, that is probably exactly what you want.

yes go with cambridge if u wanna do a PHD.
Reply 29
yes, decision has been made - Cambridge it is! Thanks for all your helo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending