The Student Room Group

Higher French Discussion Thread 2012

Hey guys :smile: I thought I'd make a thread for people sitting Higher French this year to find out how everyone's coping, favourite / least favourite parts, prelims etc.

So has anyone sat their French prelim yet :smile:? And how does everyone like the course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, great idea. :smile:

Done French prelim on Tuesday. Still to find out results but it was a disaster lol.

Now focussing on preparing for our Speaking prelim which is next Tuesday. Have you started anything for the speaking exam yet?

And I quite like the course, I do enjoy learning French, sometimes find it a little frustrating/annoying though. Sort of a love-hate relationship haha. For some reason I love Higher Spanish a lot more!

What is your favourite and best and least favourite and worst pars of the exams? (Reading, Translation, Listening, Opinion Essay, Directed Writing, Speaking)

How are you finding it?

Kerri :smile:
Reply 2
Hi :-)

I recently had my French prelim too and thought it was also a bit of disaster.

I got my marks back today for reading and directed writing, 15/30 for reading and 4/15 for directed writing. I expected this but was still dissappointed. I get my listening and personal response essay back on Monday so hopefully they go a little bit better.

I love learning French too but I find it difficult sometimes :frown:
Good luck with your results too :-)
Reply 3
I have my Higher French listening prelim this week, and then the reading is after the February break. I prefer doing the listening essay and directed writing the most, and I also feel quite good with the reading. However, for me the listening is a total hit or mess. :confused: As for the speaking, my pronounciation is terrible. :cry:
Reply 4
I sat my Higher prelim yesterday (Reading & DW paper and L & RW)
it was alright, my strengths in French are pretty much everything apart from writing (oh dear) so I found the reading of a pretty average level although some people said it was awful. Our Listening paper wasn't fantastic as the speaker was a bit mumbly and the recording jumped a bit and our RW was on a subject that we haven't actually covered the language for yet in class.. oops.
Reply 5
Original post by Kerrias
Hi, great idea. :smile:

Done French prelim on Tuesday. Still to find out results but it was a disaster lol.

Now focussing on preparing for our Speaking prelim which is next Tuesday. Have you started anything for the speaking exam yet?

And I quite like the course, I do enjoy learning French, sometimes find it a little frustrating/annoying though. Sort of a love-hate relationship haha. For some reason I love Higher Spanish a lot more!

What is your favourite and best and least favourite and worst pars of the exams? (Reading, Translation, Listening, Opinion Essay, Directed Writing, Speaking)

How are you finding it?

Kerri :smile:

I've never even attempted Spanish ahaha, is it really good? :smile:

I'm pretty much the same with French, I hate it then love it then hate it again! I think the hatred usually comes from my teacher though, she's noit exactly understanding :tongue:

My favourite part has to be the reading or personal response essay, I find them the easiest elements of the course and with short essay, you can just make up crazy stuff and still get a good grade for it which is good for me aha! But I despise listening, I'm yet to pass a listening NAB :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by beach5
Hi :-)

I recently had my French prelim too and thought it was also a bit of disaster.

I got my marks back today for reading and directed writing, 15/30 for reading and 4/15 for directed writing. I expected this but was still dissappointed. I get my listening and personal response essay back on Monday so hopefully they go a little bit better.

I love learning French too but I find it difficult sometimes :frown:
Good luck with your results too :-)

My prelim for French isn't until Wednesday :smile: I'm not too nervous yet but here's to hoping it'll be okay ahaha!

At least with DW you'll be able to get loads of practise in before the final :smile: and technically 15/30 is a pass for reading so that's not bad :biggrin:

Good luck for personal response and listening results! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
I have my Higher French listening prelim this week, and then the reading is after the February break. I prefer doing the listening essay and directed writing the most, and I also feel quite good with the reading. However, for me the listening is a total hit or mess. :confused: As for the speaking, my pronounciation is terrible. :cry:

Which day next week is your listening prelim? :smile:

Listening is my worst part of the course too! D: I'm just thankful for the fact that we get a dictionary ahaha!

Does your teacher not go through speaking with you before the exam and tell you where you're going wrong? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by rawragee
I sat my Higher prelim yesterday (Reading & DW paper and L & RW)
it was alright, my strengths in French are pretty much everything apart from writing (oh dear) so I found the reading of a pretty average level although some people said it was awful. Our Listening paper wasn't fantastic as the speaker was a bit mumbly and the recording jumped a bit and our RW was on a subject that we haven't actually covered the language for yet in class.. oops.

That sounds pretty unfortunate :frown: at least it isn't your fault if you mess up the listening :smile: and it's good that you found the reading okay :smile:

What was your personal response essay about?
Reply 9
Original post by IAmCookie
I've never even attempted Spanish ahaha, is it really good? :smile:

I'm pretty much the same with French, I hate it then love it then hate it again! I think the hatred usually comes from my teacher though, she's noit exactly understanding :tongue:

My favourite part has to be the reading or personal response essay, I find them the easiest elements of the course and with short essay, you can just make up crazy stuff and still get a good grade for it which is good for me aha! But I despise listening, I'm yet to pass a listening NAB :frown:

Yeah I love it and find it so much easier. I'll never understand that one.... :s-smilie:

And my teachers for French are really good (most of the time :P), sometimes there is a lot of pressure but its not the teachers,

The reading & translation is always the best for me too, the listening is a bit hit and miss, and the personal response essays so far have been fine but the prelim was a disaster, directed writing the same and I don't think my class has even attempted a listening NAB yet haha :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by Kerrias
Yeah I love it and find it so much easier. I'll never understand that one.... :s-smilie:

And my teachers for French are really good (most of the time :P), sometimes there is a lot of pressure but its not the teachers,

The reading & translation is always the best for me too, the listening is a bit hit and miss, and the personal response essays so far have been fine but the prelim was a disaster, directed writing the same and I don't think my class has even attempted a listening NAB yet haha :redface:

People always say Spanish and French are really similar aswell? :tongue:

My teacher is just like "I know most of you are doing five Highers. But I did my Highers at college whilst I had a full-time job so you have no sympathy from me.." :L

You haven't done a listening NAB yet? :redface: we've done two! I failed the first one and haven't had a mark back for the second one yet :/

I'm dreading listening and DW in the prelim, I've never done a DW under timed conditions without notes so I have no idea how good I am D:
Which day next week is your listening prelim? :smile:

Listening is my worst part of the course too! D: I'm just thankful for the fact that we get a dictionary ahaha!

Does your teacher not go through speaking with you before the exam and tell you where you're going wrong? :frown:

She does go through the speaking, but I'm still feeling a little uneasy. :s-smilie:

My listening is on the Thursday, 9th. :smile:
Reply 12
People always say Spanish and French are really similar aswell? :tongue:

My teacher is just like "I know most of you are doing five Highers. But I did my Highers at college whilst I had a full-time job so you have no sympathy from me.." :L

You haven't done a listening NAB yet? :redface: we've done two! I failed the first one and haven't had a mark back for the second one yet :/

I'm dreading listening and DW in the prelim, I've never done a DW under timed conditions without notes so I have no idea how good I am D:

They are quite similar which I've not decided if its a good or bad thing yet haha :P

And really, she sounds really annoying, does she give you lots of homework (I'm assuming shes a she, or he :colondollar:)

And no, we did the reading NAB and the erv NAB (which I've yet to find out my result and we did it before Christmas....:angry:)

And i bet you will be fine, in an exam you always manage to do things faster than without exam conditions and time limits :smile:
Reply 13
That sounds pretty unfortunate :frown: at least it isn't your fault if you mess up the listening :smile: and it's good that you found the reading okay :smile:

What was your personal response essay about?

our response essay was about part time jobs and money etc. whereas in that topic we've only covered up to future plans so was a bit difficult :L
Je n'ai pas oublié mon temps d'étudier le francais, et la seule chose qu'on peut vous dire pendant ce temps est: bon chance, je ne vous envie pas. :tongue:

Le sujet, ce n'est pas trop difficile si vous travailliez; l'apprentissage d'une langue n'est plus qu'un exercice de la mémoire et je pense que tout le monde dans cette discussion peut réussir á leur examens.

Pas de soucis avec le francais, TSR. Pas de soucis. :wink:

Edit: Alright, my French wasn't that bad. Chill out. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Lads, help me!

What'd the the best subject to do the speaking on?

A x
Original post by aroy45
Lads, help me!

What'd the the best subject to do the speaking on?

A x

I did mine on school and future intentions because the vocabulary associated with it all was fairly simple and it gave me the opportunity to slip in some phrases that were beyond Higher level. But it depends on you, some people's vocabulary leans more towards one side of the course, so have a play about with a few different subjects, and think about the vocabulary you already have and see what you could write about within that field.
Reply 17
Speaking prelim tomorrow.......... D:
Reply 18
Good luck with prelims and speaking everyone!

My prelims are all tomorrow and I haven't even written my speaking exam piece yet :') I'm doing school and future intentions for mine as it gives lots of opportunities for irregular verbs in perfect, imperfect, conditional and future tenses :smile:
Reply 19
Leaving soon for my prelim :') wish me luck guys :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending