The Student Room Group

Higher French Discussion Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IAmCookie
Leaving soon for my prelim :') wish me luck guys :P

Hope it went well :smile:

Found out today that I got 81% in my prelim :biggrin: So happy!

Failed the listening though :colondollar:
Reply 21
Original post by emmasaur

You got 81% after failing listening?! Wow well done!

My prelim was the worst thing ever. I genuinely walking out halfway through my short essay cos I couldn't do the listening and it stressed me for short essay so I just stood up and left D;

You got 81% after failing listening?! Wow well done!

My prelim was the worst thing ever. I genuinely walking out halfway through my short essay cos I couldn't do the listening and it stressed me for short essay so I just stood up and left D;

Yous shouldn't worry about the listening. Everybody, every year, struggles with listening. It's just an acquired skill that you get better at with practice and experience that at Higher you don't get much of. Only advice I can give is try to get as much active practice as you can to get better at it. I got 11/20 on the listening part of the prelim, barely passed. But I only lost 3 marks in the whole exam come May. It's just down to practice at listening. :tongue:

81% is impressive, Emma. Means you hardly lost any marks on the other bits if you failed the listening! Congrats. :biggrin:
Reply 23
My speaking prelim I done today was the worst thing ever, why did I choose French again.... :frown:

And congrats emmasaur, thats great :biggrin:
Reply 24
My teacher is very angry at me for walking out of the prelim without finishing.. She was ranting at my friend about me yesterday oops.. Now I definitely don't want study leave to end!
Hello, I am also doing Higher French this year.

Just got my result back from my prelim , and i got a B. I am overall ok with this but i am really disappionted at my Listenign mark.

This is my breakdown:

Reading 15

Translation 10

DW 12

Listening 5

Short Essay 10

I am really worried about my Listening mark , 5 out of 20 is only 25% and i am so angry that i didn't do better,any ideas on how to get better at this part of the exam?
Done my French prelim last Wednesday and thought I'd failed it but got :
Paper 1 -38/45
Paper 2 - 18/30

And I done my speaking this Wednesday and got 22/25, it's never as bad as it looks :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by JackWiggins
Paper 1 -38/45
Paper 2 - 18/30

And I done my speaking this Wednesday and got 22/25, it's never as bad as it looks :biggrin:

Congratulation, especially with the speaking!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Kerrias
Congratulation, especially with the speaking!!!! :biggrin:

Reply 29
Original post by animelover123
Hello, I am also doing Higher French this year.

Just got my result back from my prelim , and i got a B. I am overall ok with this but i am really disappionted at my Listenign mark.

This is my breakdown:

Reading 15

Translation 10

DW 12

Listening 5

Short Essay 10

I am really worried about my Listening mark , 5 out of 20 is only 25% and i am so angry that i didn't do better,any ideas on how to get better at this part of the exam?

A B is really good :smile: well done :biggrin: especially with full marks for SE and Translation :smile:

For listening, try going onto French news websites or French radio links and listening to them and even if you don't understand them, the speed will make the Listening exam seem really slow :smile:
Reply 30
Paper 1 -38/45
Paper 2 - 18/30

Wow! I want results like that! :') especially speaking, well done! Although I still haven't even written my speaking piece..
Wow! I want results like that! :') especially speaking, well done! Although I still haven't even written my speaking piece..

Haha thank you :smile:! Im sure youll do fine, just make sure you know the speaking piece like the back of your hand!
Paper 1 -38/45
Paper 2 - 18/30

Was this a speaking prelim or the actual assesment?
A B is really good :smile: well done :biggrin: especially with full marks for SE and Translation :smile:

For listening, try going onto French news websites or French radio links and listening to them and even if you don't understand them, the speed will make the Listening exam seem really slow :smile:

Thank You :biggrin:

A B is good but just peeved that i messed up my listening. I don't know what happened, i feel like i just lost concentration during it. So difficult.

Also, I am so worried about my Speaking. My French accent is not very good, so dreading it , ive not actually started writing it. we just got back from our prelims this week and our teacher just briefed us on the speaking. What is the date for the speaking, is it March some time?

So glad the prelim is over, but dreading the speaking. Any advice on which topic to choose?

Was 81% excluding the Listening or including ?
Reply 35
Was 81% excluding the Listening or including ?

Including :smile:
Was this a speaking prelim or the actual assesment?

actual assessment :biggrin: we only do the one and it counts for our prelim/NAB/exam.
actual assessment :biggrin: we only do the one and it counts for our prelim/NAB/exam.

What tips have you got to acheive the awsome mark that you got?

What topics choose?
What tips have you got to acheive the awsome mark that you got?

What topics choose?

I would say write your discussion on the subject you know the most vocab on and write it early. Ive been learning mines since christmas so make sure you know it like the back of your hand :smile:
I would say write your discussion on the subject you know the most vocab on and write it early. Ive been learning mines since christmas so make sure you know it like the back of your hand :smile:

What topic did you choose for the presentation? I am considering Home Area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending