The Student Room Group

Higher French Discussion Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by animelover123
What topic did you choose for the presentation? I am considering Home Area.

Family :biggrin: really easy to write about, choose one you know a lot of vocab for, helps a bundle on the questions
Reply 41
Just got prelim results:
Reading: 12/20
Translation:8/10
Listening:11/20
Short Essay:8/10
Directed Writing:9/15
Speaking: Dont know yet, results next week

Pretty happy overall, just hoping I can get at least 12/25 in my speaking to keep a B, dont know if I did but fingers crossed :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JackWiggins
Family :biggrin: really easy to write about, choose one you know a lot of vocab for, helps a bundle on the questions

So you're presentation was on Family , but your discussion must have been on somethingelse, so how is it useful. Are you not supposed to pick the one you're not so good at so you can avoid doing it on the discussion?
Original post by Kerrias
Just got prelim results:
Reading: 12/20
Translation:8/10
Listening:11/20
Short Essay:8/10
Directed Writing:9/15
Speaking: Dont know yet, results next week

Pretty happy overall, just hoping I can get at least 12/25 in my speaking to keep a B, dont know if I did but fingers crossed :biggrin:

What topic did you choose for the speaking, i'm in the middle of deliberating which to choose.
Reply 44
What topic did you choose for the speaking, i'm in the middle of deliberating which to choose.

I chose Family, because I knew a lot of vocab on it and had a lot to say, and for me it is a reasonaly easy topic, although the speaking prelim didnt go to plan haha :colondollar:

Our teacher advised us to pick one that first of all you could talk for 6 mins straight in English about so you know you have stuff to talk about, and then that you know enough French to discuss, good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Kerrias
I chose Family, because I knew a lot of vocab on it and had a lot to say, and for me it is a reasonaly easy topic, although the speaking prelim didnt go to plan haha :colondollar:

Our teacher advised us to pick one that first of all you could talk for 6 mins straight in English about so you know you have stuff to talk about, and then that you know enough French to discuss, good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks, i'm thinking of doing Home Area, but not a done deal yet beacuse of the holidays. I wanted to do home area so that i could talk about quite a lot. Eg , like Good and Bad of Scotland , Adv and Dis Adv of Countryside and City and then use future tense for where i would like to live.
So you're presentation was on Family , but your discussion must have been on somethingelse, so how is it useful. Are you not supposed to pick the one you're not so good at so you can avoid doing it on the discussion?

They have to ask you at least some questions on family if you do it for your presentation :smile: my discussion was basically on my family, stuff i do outside school, school stuff and my future plans if i remeber correctly, there was quite a few on my family as well :biggrin:
Reply 47
Everyone's done so well wow! I'm back at school tomorrow.. Not sure if my prelim will have been marked yet though :')
Reply 48
Hope everyone's doing well with French and the rest of all of your subjects :smile:

I got my options sheet for S6 subjects today and my school isn't offering advanced Higher French D: four of us want to do it, including me, so does anyone have any advice on convincing the headteacher to arrange something like the school did for two girls last year?
Reply 49
Original post by IAmCookie
Hope everyone's doing well with French and the rest of all of your subjects :smile:

I got my options sheet for S6 subjects today and my school isn't offering advanced Higher French D: four of us want to do it, including me, so does anyone have any advice on convincing the headteacher to arrange something like the school did for two girls last year?

I'm no expert but I'd get everyone interested to go speak to the head teacher and show how much you want to do it - show you are passionate. Obviously if the columns are out they will probably not change to offering it but they might help you find a college/school nearby that does.

I had my French prelim (Listening and Reading papers). My final one and we haven't started Speaking yet - we are so behind! The reading paper was not too bad. The translation was a lot easier than past prelim papers we have done before. The listening was bad as, someone else said, it was on something we hadn't really covered. I hope I scrape a pass in the Listening so it keeps my grade up :smile:
Reply 50
Hi, just to keep this thread going haha but anyone else have dates for the actual speaking exam? mine is 15th march...which is less than three weeks away....:eek:

Also, anyone thinking of doing AH next year? :smile:
Original post by Kerrias
Hi, just to keep this thread going haha but anyone else have dates for the actual speaking exam? mine is 15th march...which is less than three weeks away....:eek:

Also, anyone thinking of doing AH next year? :smile:

Everyone has thiers on that week. W/b 12th of March. Have you worte everything out. I have and i think i memorised half of my prsentation but none of my discussion. So dreading it.

I want to do AH , but doubt my school will run it. However, it did run it this year with 2 people, so i hope they do next year. I would imagine it to be very hard, wouldn't it?
Reply 52
Everyone has thiers on that week. W/b 12th of March. Have you worte everything out. I have and i think i memorised half of my prsentation but none of my discussion. So dreading it.

I want to do AH , but doubt my school will run it. However, it did run it this year with 2 people, so i hope they do next year. I would imagine it to be very hard, wouldn't it?

Aw okay, yeah I have a presentation and discussion written out and learned from the prelim, but I have to improve it, add in another topic and and drastically cut down my presentation as I was speaking way too fast and it was still 2 mins 20 and then re-learn my new one. Speaking is one of my worst parts and I hate it! Oh well, at least soon it will be over and done with....

And my school has AH on the option form and I know there is me and another person interested, so I hope my school offers it and I hope that the other person doesn't change her mind. We had a look over some AH past papers the other day and it doesn't look TOO bad although a huge difference.

:smile:
Original post by Kerrias
Aw okay, yeah I have a presentation and discussion written out and learned from the prelim, but I have to improve it, add in another topic and and drastically cut down my presentation as I was speaking way too fast and it was still 2 mins 20 and then re-learn my new one. Speaking is one of my worst parts and I hate it! Oh well, at least soon it will be over and done with....

And my school has AH on the option form and I know there is me and another person interested, so I hope my school offers it and I hope that the other person doesn't change her mind. We had a look over some AH past papers the other day and it doesn't look TOO bad although a huge difference.

:smile:

Good Luck to you.

I want to do AH, I love French but sometimes the feeling is not mutual, lol.

I certainly agree with that, as with all AH's.
Reply 54
Good Luck to you.

I want to do AH, I love French but sometimes the feeling is not mutual, lol.

I certainly agree with that, as with all AH's.

Thank you - you too! :smile:

And yes I agree, definitely a love/hate thing going on haha, hope you get to do the AH! :smile:
Hey guys, I got an A :smile:

For my prelim I got:

Speaking 25/25
Reading 17/20
Translation 9/10
Directed Writing 15/15
Short Essay 10/10
Listening 8/20

Overall I got 84% :fluffy: I know that my listening was crap, so I'm going to have to improve that. And also, I'm resitting Higher French, so I'm finding it easier this year. If anyone needs any help, ask away :yep: :wink: :fluffy:
Original post by Quick-use
Hey guys, I got an A :smile:

For my prelim I got:

Speaking 25/25
Reading 17/20
Translation 9/10
Directed Writing 15/15
Short Essay 10/10
Listening 8/20

Overall I got 84% :fluffy: I know that my listening was crap, so I'm going to have to improve that. And also, I'm resitting Higher French, so I'm finding it easier this year. If anyone needs any help, ask away :yep: :wink: :fluffy:

You thought that was bad? I got 5/20 lol
You thought that was bad? I got 5/20 lol

Ouch, what was yours about? Was it on an athlete? :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
Ouch, what was yours about? Was it on an athlete? :smile:

Yep, P and N publications?
Yep, P and N publications?

Yup. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest