Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does one interact with kids?!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparksInTheSky)
    You don't need to be offended by a little kid. Some kids are a bit impolite, or maybe she really didn't know. Did you just tell her whether you were a boy or girl? You maybe could have joked about it a little like in the videos up there ^. Otherwise, why worry about it? You're not there to make friends. Keep trying and you will have some positive experiences.
    I told her that I'm a girl, to which she responded "Then why do you..." (the room was noisy, but I knew what she was trying to say, the little cow.)
    I was like "What?" which she ignored, and in front of me began talking about me to her friend, asking her friend whether I'm a girl or a boy
    I repeated "What?" again and she shouted "Nothing!" like a little brat.

I'd like to point out that she was probably between 8-10, she's not stupid, she knows what she's doing!

(Original post by hughcapet)
    If something like that happens again, just turn the situation round, e.g. say something like 'Why? What are you?' It's usually quite easy to stay one step ahead of an individual child when you're a grown-up, just don't be afraid of children because they will know. Perceptive little beasties, they are.
    Quick thinking is the only way to defeat them :ninja:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professorpk)
    I told her that I'm a girl, to which she responded "Then why do you..." (the room was noisy, but I knew what she was trying to say, the little cow.)
    I was like "What?" which she ignored, and in front of me began talking about me to her friend, asking her friend whether I'm a girl or a boy
    I repeated "What?" again and she shouted "Nothing!" like a little brat.

I'd like to point out that she was probably between 8-10, she's not stupid, she knows what she's doing!
    :ninja:
    I'm sorry you had this experience. But 8-10 is still pretty young. And surely there can't have been that many reasons she thought you were a boy? I mean, short hair, body shape, that kind of thing? I appreciate it might have been something else, but questioning about those things is just immature, just as kids might say something racist because they don't understand. Just don't be offended and treat it lightly. I think if you cared less about what the kids think of you you'd be able to appreciate their good qualities more.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arg I can't help because I have exactly the same problem! It's nice to know someone else does though. everyone else seems to be horrified when i say i don't like kids hah

I literally have no idea how people spend more than like 10 minutes around kids alone without wanting to kill themselves from awkwardness/boredom. I helped my friend babysit like a 7 year old girl a while ago and she was like playing with her/reading to her/talking to her really slowly while i just sat there silently like :| :| I have nothing to say to you .

i just can't bring myself to like.. dumb myself down haha, like slow my voice down or use easy words or sound really enthusiastic like "Oh woww what a lovely picture" when it's just a crappy drawing of an owl or something, god i sound like a terrible person hah. it's too like..vulnerable, like it's so easy for them to just ignore you/take the piss because they haven't learned yet to like detect embarassment in other people and then it's just doubly embarassing because you've been shown up by a child haha.

maybe it's cause i'm an only child and i've never really interacted with kids that much? all my friends with little siblings seem to do it so easily. i dunno, i hope it wasn't too bad/you don't have to do it again!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kids are easy. Just talk to them like they're adults. Anything under 4 or 5 is a bit harder, but from 6 and up, they're smart enough to have a good old chat with you. I recently saw my mate's 6 year old for the first time in a while and I just asked her how she was, if she was still enjoying school, what she'd been up to etc... You know, just small talk really. Kids love telling you things. There's a smart one in my family - she likes to talk about astro physics and Harry Potter!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I dont think anyone can tell you exactly how to interact with children. Some people find it very easy and others nigh on impossible. I love working with children and I think there are some basic guidelines that would help you.
    1) What setting are you talking to them in? If it's at a sports club then the kids won't want to talk about school etc.
    2)They're still people! Ask how their wekeend was, if anything excitings happening, what they like to do etc. The worst thing you can do is be patronising and treat them like little kids
    3) Respct them. Young kids have a weird way of being able to know right away if you are looking down to them or treating them with no respect and they rebel.
    4) finally, use your common sense. Get to know the kids and have topics that you know they will want to talk about. Even if a kids doesn't reply to you you can still talk to them!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I usually talk to them fairly normally, but in simpler language and a more enthusiastic tone. They can always understand more than they can actually say, and if they don't seem to understand a question you can just rephrase it. They're not going to be silently judging you on your ability to talk to them. When approaching children at the camp, maybe ask them what their favourite activity there is, and if they'll demonstrate for a photo. Or just be like "Hey, you guys look great, let me take a picture!"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 7, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.