The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cubic
Hey, English is my worst subject too. I also prefer maths and science, but biology bores me.

I detest both areas of English. However, if I had to choose one over the other, Language would be the better one. I loath Literature with a passion.

Maths and Physics are my best subjects :smile: I don't mind Biology either though. This may be because our teacher is an interesting character. Always keeps everything interesting!
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Hey people. I'm new to this thread. Just wondering what you guys talk about on here? I can see that you are currently discussing English, which is my worst subject lmao. -.- I much prefere Maths and sciences :biggrin:

Original post by Cubic
Hey, English is my worst subject too. I also prefer maths and science, but biology bores me.

Just anything in general. Talk will probably be focused on revision and exams for the next month or so, but it is just year 11 life. Btw we do talk about math questions as welll :wink:
Reply 2022
Original post by GreenLantern1
Just anything in general. Talk will probably be focused on revision and exams for the next month or so, but it is just year 11 life. Btw we do talk about math questions as welll :wink:

You've done this months cambridge chemistry challenge right?

I'm still on Cu. :colondollar:

What does 8 -> 4 actually mean? I've gathered that the question is about electrons changing energy levels, I assume that in this case the electron is moving down energy levels.

Edit: It's something to do with the Balmer series right?
(edited 12 years ago)

Sounds good to me! I'll be doing plenty of revision over the Easter holidays anyway! Anybody doing anything remotely interesting over the holidays then?

Can't beat some good old Maths questions!! :wink: I'm doing plenty of Maths over the next couple of months, as I've opted to sit the FSMQ (Free Standing Maths Qualification), on the same day as my P3 paper! Should be a very fun day :biggrin:

If you don't already know, the FSMQ contains mainly material from the C1 and C2 AS Maths syllabuses. It's just a bridge between GCSE and A-Level, nothing too complicated. :smile:
Original post by Cubic

What does 8 -> 4 actually mean? I've gathered that the question is about electrons changing energy levels, I assume that in this case the electron is moving down energy levels.

If you do AQA Physics A you hould find help in P1b.

You actually need A2 Physics to understand 8-> 4 or just do a bit of googling if you haven't got any access to Physics books. I can't really explain how it works.
Original post by Cubic

What is this? :O and why haven't I heard of it??
Original post by Cubic

And yes it is to do with Balmer Series but I don't want to just give the answer away.:colondollar: If you haven't worked it out by tomorrow I will tell you then.

The name is axiomatic of what it is and you probably haven't heard of it since you aren't in Year 12.
Reply 2028
If you do AQA Physics A you hould find help in P1b.

You actually need A2 Physics to understand 8-> 4 or just do a bit of googling if you haven't got any access to Physics books. I can't really explain how it works.

Okay, I'm currently researching the Hydrogen spectral series.

http://www.c3l6.org/

You'll learn a lot of new stuff through trying to find the answers, at least I do.
The name is axiomatic of what it is and you probably haven't heard of it since you aren't in Year 12.

Well yes, but I was wondering whether it is provided by schools or online websites etc.
So it isn't aimed at GCSE level students then? :frown:
Original post by Cubic

http://www.c3l6.org/

You'll learn a lot of new stuff through trying to find the answers, at least I do.

Cheers for the link, I'm going to give it a shot! Do they do these challenges for other subjects too?
Reply 2031
Well yes, but I was wondering whether it is provided by schools or online websites etc.
So it isn't aimed at GCSE level students then? :frown:

No, but it's still possible to complete.

Edit:

And yes it is to do with Balmer Series but I don't want to just give the answer away.:colondollar: If you haven't worked it out by tomorrow I will tell you then.

Am I supposed to find the energy difference by using the Rydberg formula, or am I overcomplicating it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cubic

I just got question one on my first attempt! After some research of course... I think I got extremely lucky though... We'll have to see how the rest of it goes :P
Reply 2033
I just got question one on my first attempt! After some research of course... I think I got extremely lucky though... We'll have to see how the rest of it goes :P

Well done and good luck.
Original post by Cubic

Edit:

Am I supposed to find the energy difference by using the Rydberg formula, or am I overcomplicating it?

Just now properly got the Entry Level Question Pun!

Today is April Fool's and the answer is Iron Pyrite or Fool's Gold!!!
Reply 2035
Just now properly got the Entry Level Question Pun!

Today is April Fool's and the answer is Iron Pyrite or Fool's Gold!!!

Oh yeah, I didn't even realise that.
Completed the Cu question :biggrin:
Reply 2037
Completed the Cu question :biggrin:

Well done! You did it much quicker than I did.
Reply 2038
I love english and r.e so not worried about them, but worried about science and art :frown:
Reply 2039
Original post by iJess
I love english and r.e so not worried about them, but worried about science and art :frown:

Hey Jess, I'm sure that if you keep going over the science content it will eventually 'click' with you.

Good luck revising.

Latest