The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Original post by CharlieBoardman
What are you taking at College?

Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, possibly further maths additional.
What about you?
Original post by Cubic
What about you?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chenistry and Biology at AS. Then Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2, along with an Extended Project.

If I find the work load too much, I will drop Biology.

However, I might self teach additional further Maths like you suggested before. It all depends. Would you be self teaching or do they offer it at your 6th form/college?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2142
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chenistry and Biology at AS. Then Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2, along with an Extended Project.

If I find the work load too much, I will drop Biology.

However, I might self teach additional further Maths like you suggested before. It all depends. Would you be self teaching or do they offer it at your 6th form/college?

I would have to self teach it. What is an extended project?
Original post by Cubic
I would have to self teach it. What is an extended project?

And extended project is where you independently study anything of your choice. Literally anything. Whether it be women's rights, god vs science, or an area of a subject which isn't taught in the class room. You have to provide a presentation on your chosen subject, and a 5000 word essay (I think).

Apparently universities are beginning to look at them as really good to have on your CV, as it is all independent study, and good preparation for how study will be at University. I will do mine on an area of Maths or Physics which we are not taught.

Here is a link to a handout which my college provide on their website: http://www.winstanley.ac.uk/images/stories/pdf/course_leaflets/extras/extendedproject.pdf
Reply 2144
And extended project is where you independently study anything of your choice. Literally anything. Whether it be women's rights, god vs science, or an area of a subject which isn't taught in the class room. You have to provide a presentation on your chosen subject, and a 5000 word essay (I think).

Apparently universities are beginning to look at them as really good to have on your CV, as it is all independent study, and good preparation for how study will be at University. I will do mine on an area of Maths or Physics which we are not taught.

Here is a link to a handout which my college provide on their website: http://www.winstanley.ac.uk/images/stories/pdf/course_leaflets/extras/extendedproject.pdf

Winstanley? Some people from my secondary school want to go there. Have you heard of Runshaw College?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
x

You're a subscriber again! Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by usycool1
You're a subscriber again! Congrats :biggrin:

Yeah I bundled enough credits together :colondollar:
Original post by Cubic
Winstanley? Some people from my secondary school want to go there. Have you heard of Runshaw College?

Winstanley is a good college :smile: well, it's the best one in my area anyway! Will take me 3 hours per day to get to and from college on a bus. I will just use the time for revision/reading purposes.

Runshaw College? No, I can't say I have.. Where abouts is it? And where is your current High School?
Reply 2148
Winstanley is a good college :smile: well, it's the best one in my area anyway! Will take me 3 hours per day to get to and from college on a bus. I will just use the time for revision/reading purposes.

Runshaw College? No, I can't say I have.. Where abouts is it? And where is your current High School?

I'm closer to Winstanley then I am to Runshaw. Runshaw is in Preston and my high school is in Bolton.
Oh Jesus. I did it again. I told you, I detest English!! :wink:
That is the last one, I promise :biggrin:

If you are currently in Year 11, how do you know most of C1&2, parts of C3&4, and how difficult the AS Sciences are?

I amd doing the Additional Maths FSMQ so that is why I know C1 and parts of C2. At my school I am part of some Intermediate Maths Mentoring scheme, so with that I have learned C2,S1,M1,D1 and bits of C3 and C4. And I know complex numbers from FP1 from school also.
Original post by GreenLantern1
I amd doing the Additional Maths FSMQ so that is why I know C1 and parts of C2. At my school I am part of some Intermediate Maths Mentoring scheme, so with that I have learned C2,S1,M1,D1 and bits of C3 and C4. And I know complex numbers from FP1 from school also.

Ah, I am also doing the Additional Maths FSMQ :smile: except we have half the number of recommended house to complete it!
That Intermediate Maths Mentoring Scheme sounds pretty interesting. I wish my school did something like that! How are you coping with material from C3, C4 & FP1?
Original post by Cubic
I'm closer to Winstanley then I am to Runshaw. Runshaw is in Preston and my high school is in Bolton.

Should have come to Winstanley mate! :biggrin: What made you choose Runshaw?
Reply 2152

I just like the way it looks.
Ah, I am also doing the Additional Maths FSMQ :smile: except we have half the number of recommended house to complete it!
That Intermediate Maths Mentoring Scheme sounds pretty interesting. I wish my school did something like that! How are you coping with material from C3, C4 & FP1?

I just had to point it out:colone:

Intermediate Maths Mentoring Scheme doesn't actually teach you A-Level maths. It is just a sheet of 8 questions - properly hard ones mind- where you work through them over a month and then go through your solutions in class. If you are good you are only expected to be able to manage 2-3 of the 8, which gives you an idea of just how hard it is. But then as an extra thing the school teach the people in the Scheme extra A-Level stuff. FP1 is pretty cool; all about complex numbers and Argand diagrams so far. It is actually as easy as C2 - the A2 Pure Maths modules are the killers!! C3 and C4 I just really know limits, Integration by parts, Integration by Substitution, Vectors, and modulus or Absolute Value. They are all pretty simple really; except absolute value - that is a weird one! Oh and I know modular Arithmetic but that isn't even in the syllabus for Maths, Further Maths, or Additional Further Maths(this is just any 3 modules you like - so doesn't really have a syllabus) A-Level.

Additional Maths FSMQ is pretty easy with my knowledge, but we do have like 2 lessons a week - only one lesson for GCSE Maths which is now where we do AddMaths since they won't finish the course in time.
?

?

Have you guys done silver yet? If you want the answer I can give it to you, it is like the only one I remember. And Rg of course - now who could forget that.
Just marked my January 2011 AQA french reading paper, 1 mark of an A* :biggrin:
Reply 2156
Have you guys done silver yet? If you want the answer I can give it to you, it is like the only one I remember. And Rg of course - now who could forget that.

Sure, that or the calculation. Thank you.

Edit: Oh and..

I checked C3 markschemes to see how they award marks for titration calculations. They are generally worth two marks if the moles are in the same ratio, all two are awarded for the correct answer and what really got me was one mark awarded for (concentration1 x volume1)/volume2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cubic
Sure, that or the calculation. Thank you.

1140000 may not be the right amount of zeros. I can't remember exactly.
And did you get the Iron level one - what was your answer.
Reply 2158
1140000 may not be the right amount of zeros. I can't remember exactly.
And did you get the Iron level one - what was your answer.

The iron level?
Original post by Cubic
What about you?

Additional Further requires you to do 15 units right?

Not sure if I want to do that one too, I think I'll see what my workload is like next year :/

Latest