Original post by Cubic
I'd have:

epona.png

Epona. :smile:

LOL, Sophie's actually already got one!
Original post by g.k.galloway
fingers crossed for us all -

have you done any medical work exp. yet? i'm hoping to do some in the summer

Mehhh... I don't really know where to start in terms of work experience (volunteerings been fine though- most places take you!).
I don't turn 16 till very late August which makes it harder to apply for w.e during the summer apparently....

The closest i've got so far is taking the WRVS trolley around the wards of my local hospital.
My futile attempts to email GPs has not resulted in anything yet, but i'll have to keep trying, still got plenty of time!

What sort of places have you asked?
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
:no: I mean RULE half of Africa....It would be much easier than another trying to get a rich country Sophie's family already owned :tongue:

Btw, how do you find the post count of this thread?

I think you need to ask blueray (the person who made this thread)
Reply 3944
LOL, Sophie's actually already got one!

But it's not Epona.
Reply 3945
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Well I hope so but Dr Parks at Cambridge said my A-levels aren't the most suited, but they meet the requirements. He said I'd need Further Maths to look really good, and also said I'd need A*s in the subjects that 'matter'. However, I didn't get an A* in Maths, but I did take it a year early so they may let me off. But I won't get my hopes up!

When I spoke to Oxbridge they said I'd need further mathematics to get an 'edge' for CS, but frankly, I'm not looking for Oxbridge (I'd be content with St. Andrews, UCL or Durham), and further mathematics would prove to drive me insane most likely.

Original post by Pandora.
I know what you mean. As morbid as it may sound, once we're dead we won't be remembered for our grades, we'll be remember for the achievements we made during life. :smile:

Amen to that. :smile:

Original post by Zigggyy.
I wish I had a clear subject that was my best /:

I wouldn't worry about having a clear subject now, I think you find a passion at A-level and then that reflects what you do at university. At the moment you can only have brief suspicions of what you'd like to do, or what you're currently suited towards.

The final list :cool:

Cubic and Greenlantern sound like the Chemistry guys
Pandora,rock-and-rose and aefli are the English girls
G.KGalloway and Science-Oliver are the medicine guys/girls
Greenlantern,USB,CharlieBoardman and ELmoro are the Maths guys
c3ntury is the Computer Science guy
x-sophie-x isthe medicine/rich//engineer/ helicopter owner - pilotgirl
Multiplexing-gamer engineering guy
Greenlantern, Aefli and Multiplexing-gamer - the AS ICT guys
GameGod - the guy who completed his A-levels in year 11
Dalek - the year 10 who hangs out here

I'm honoured haha! :biggrin:
What degree does everyone want to do? I want to do Aeronautical engineering with a year in industry at BAE...
I can see the logic here. Fuel is hugely expensive in this climate, my dad fills up his car and it costs just under £100 if I remember rightly (a full refule) so to fuel a copter it's going to be expensive. Also, yeah insurance for a car is very expensive as it is, so to put a 16 year old in a copter worth 2.5 mill that could crush a building , I can see why its expensive. Lastly, as you rightly said, as your mum is teaching you, you need to buy a large plot of land as you cant just fly over London or else everyone would be crashing into St Paul's :lol:

I'd rather buy a eurofighter for 60 mil:cool:

Finally!

Thanks for understanding what I'm talking about!

I know! It's £500 to fly an hour! :eek: So I have to limit how much I fly!

Yep, insurance is just crazy.
Reply 3948
What degree does everyone want to do? I want to do Aeronautical engineering with a year in industry at BAE...

Masters and in turn Ph.D in Computer Science. Doing a gap year beforehand in Asia.
Original post by c3ntury
When I spoke to Oxbridge they said I'd need further mathematics to get an 'edge' for CS, but frankly, I'm not looking for Oxbridge (I'd be content with St. Andrews, UCL or Durham), and further mathematics would prove to drive me insane most likely.

Amen to that. :smile:

I wouldn't worry about having a clear subject now, I think you find a passion at A-level and then that reflects what you do at university. At the moment you can only have brief suspicions of what you'd like to do, or what you're currently suited towards.

I'm honoured haha! :biggrin:

I agree about the Oxbridge thing, even if you did get in, they obviously ask for FM for a reason, so I and you might find it incredibly hard...
Original post by GreenLantern1
You are like really spoilt mate; i'm talking in the movies spoilt!!!!:eek:

If you have that kinda money, and it isn't even yours it is your parents hard earned money, you don't just throw it at some helicopter because it is your 'dream'.

You really need to learn some life rules.

Hmm, well I don't see why. My parents wanted me to use it on flying, which is why they suggested it for my 16th birthday.

And since it's my mum who taught me to fly, I really enjoy it and this is how I choose to spend my free time. I don't see what's wrong with that.
Reply 3951
I agree about the Oxbridge thing, even if you did get in, they obviously ask for FM for a reason, so I and you might find it incredibly hard...

Pretty much. Honestly, I'd like to aim high and work hard to get there, but I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't make the 'oxbridge' cut. I don't think it's for me :smile:
Original post by c3ntury
Masters and in turn Ph.D in Computer Science. Doing a gap year beforehand in Asia.

This means you'll finish 3/4 years later than everyone else. What inspires you to go onto PHD, I myself would rather go into work get experience and earn money along the way...

Go to the 'GCSEs' forum, find our thread, then look across to the number of replies. Click it and voila. :smile:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hmm, well I don't see why. My parents wanted me to use it on flying, which is why they suggested it for my 16th birthday.

And since it's my mum who taught me to fly, I really enjoy it and this is how I choose to spend my free time. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I agree, it not as if your parents are just wasting money buying you cars and stuff. You're learning a valuable life skill
Reply 3955
Original post by x-Sophie-x

You just came across as spoilt when you said that £120 million isn't a lot, that's all.

Not that I have a problem with you, it takes a lot more than some random spoilt girl to get on my nerves, I'm actually finding all of the arguments rather amusing.

:smile:
Reply 3956
This means you'll finish 3/4 years later than everyone else. What inspires you to go onto PHD, I myself would rather go into work get experience and earn money along the way...

I'll be one year older than my peers (never a bad thing), more life experience, 'ready' mentally for university, and I'll have everything I've learnt whilst abroad (languages and programming whilst I'm travelling). I'll also have the CV additions (volunteering and such).

The reason I'd like to do a Ph.D is so I can contribute to the subject field I have a passion for. Plus, a lot of the high end jobs can be scaled to quickly (within 5 or so years) with a Ph.D in CS, and in addition, loads of people are doing CS nowadays (sadly perhaps?), so having that extra qualification will make me stand out.

Oh, and I'd ideally like to go into R&D when I'm older, so I'll need it for that probably?
Reply 3957
Original post by c3ntury
I'll be one year older than my peers (never a bad thing), more life experience, 'ready' mentally for university, and I'll have everything I've learnt whilst abroad (languages and programming whilst I'm travelling). I'll also have the CV additions (volunteering and such).

The reason I'd like to do a Ph.D is so I can contribute to the subject field I have a passion for. Plus, a lot of the high end jobs can be scaled to quickly (within 5 or so years) with a Ph.D in CS, and in addition, loads of people are doing CS nowadays (sadly perhaps?), so having that extra qualification will make me stand out.

Oh, and I'd ideally like to go into R&D when I'm older, so I'll need it for that probably?

I've heard of something called 'Quantum Computing' but I'm not sure what it is. Do you know what it is, and if so could you explain it to me?

Maths. Do a masters for 4 years thena PhD. init fam:colone:
:no: I mean RULE half of Africa....It would be much easier than another trying to get a rich country Sophie's family already owned :tongue:

When you found it copy and paste the post count on to here.

I want to see where everyone is at. Think Charlie must have overtaken us all by now lol!

Latest