The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myyrealname
what's everyone's thoughts on taking art & design a level? too much, too pointless unless i'm definitely considering to go into something that involves it? hmph

Hmm, apparently it's time consuming... but due to there being less subjects to balance, more time would be able to be spent on Art then at GCSE.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Hmm, Cambridge and UCL dont offer straight aeronautics, thats general. I would like general, but I dont like Chemical or electronic, so I'm not sure?

I'm taking similar A-levels to you: Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. My backup being F.Maths but my dad isn't toohappy about that.

What soughta' stuff you putting in your PS, I have a few stuff lined up..

Yep, but I'm pretty interested in Chemical as well....I'm so undecided!
I was just looking over Imperial College's Undergrad prospectus and there are so many different, interested degrees!
My plan is to see how I fare in my AS results and go from there. If I get an A in Physics at AS I will PROBABLY pursue an engineering career but if I get considerably less then I will drop it and take Biology at AS while I'm doing the rest of my A-Levels and try and become a Doctor.

Very similar actually...Are you taking Maths Mechanics?
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Ah I see! Well, you obviously know a lot more about engineering than myself! I see what your dad is saying, but wouldn't you have a better chance taking 3 hard subjects? Most people who compete for top universities are taking 3 or more hard courses, and I think you'd stand a better chance if you took a third hard course? Is there not another science which you enjoy?

Also, you don't actually need A-Level economics to study it at University do you?

Well maybe, but I dont want to jeopardize my A-levels too much by picking all really hard subjects. Also, Geography is respected by the Cambridge list so I'll get away with it, and Economics will be my fourth subject so they dont mind if it's not a core subject :cool:

Economics A-level is an essay based subject so by the end I'll be quite good at writing essays which is always a good life skill and shows good variation to employers if I ever found myself applying for a job that requires lots of writing.

No you dont need Economics but it helps if you have it, which is good.
loving the front page :biggrin: and yes, I am a red! :biggrin:

:lol: Fergie, fergie, what's the score? Wigan 1-Man U 0

Arsenal ftw! :arsenal:
Original post by myyrealname
what's everyone's thoughts on taking art & design a level? too much, too pointless unless i'm definitely considering to go into something that involves it? hmph

Hmmm....I wouldn't advise it tbh, but if you've excelled at Art at GCSE then it should be quite an easy option for you to take.

What career path are you considering?
Well, I can only suggest you have a word with your teacher, and worse your arse off in your next maths exam :biggrin:

*You mean work. :colone:

Thanks!
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
I strongly suggest you retake you one the units, but it depends on the weighting of the exams and what grade you want.

I am retaking one of the units. Although my predicted grade is a B I would very much prefer an A
Yep, but I'm pretty interested in Chemical as well....I'm so undecided!
I was just looking over Imperial College's Undergrad prospectus and there are so many different, interested degrees!
My plan is to see how I fare in my AS results and go from there. If I get an A in Physics at AS I will PROBABLY pursue an engineering career but if I get considerably less then I will drop it and take Biology at AS while I'm doing the rest of my A-Levels and try and become a Doctor.

Very similar actually...Are you taking Maths Mechanics?

Good luck with General then :smile: I think you can choose modules in different sections anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

My sixth form makes us do Stats in year 1 and Mechanics in year 2. Maybe they'll let us Physics guys do Mechanics in year 1 because it'll be quite easy because we would have done it. I've started Mechanics at home for fun, its very interesting!

P.S I've never liked Imperial it looks too formal and 'mathsy'. Even looking at their home page its just dark bland colours. Always loved UCL and KCL though :love:
Well I'm off! A jam-packed night full of work/revision. Don't think I'll be catching any Z's after all:wink:
Well maybe, but I dont want to jeopardize my A-levels too much by picking all really hard subjects. Also, Geography is respected by the Cambridge list so I'll get away with it, and Economics will be my fourth subject so they dont mind if it's not a core subject :cool:

Economics A-level is an essay based subject so by the end I'll be quite good at writing essays which is always a good life skill and shows good variation to employers if I ever found myself applying for a job that requires lots of writing.

No you dont need Economics but it helps if you have it, which is good.

Fair enough. I hate Essay based subjects, I have no motivation to write for long periods of time whatsoever! :frown: I wish I could!! I have no trouble with writing good essays, I just literally have to be forced to do it... :L

Which three are you planning on taking to A2?
:lol: Fergie, fergie, what's the score? Wigan 1-Man U 0

Arsenal ftw! :arsenal:

Don't even get me started.
Original post by Fulfill_dreams015
*You mean work. :colone:

Thanks!

ah, stupid auto correct :P sorry :biggrin:
Good luck with General then :smile: I think you can choose modules in different sections anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

My sixth form makes us do Stats in year 1 and Mechanics in year 2. Maybe they'll let us Physics guys do Mechanics in year 1 because it'll be quite easy because we would have done it. I've started Mechanics at home for fun, its very interesting!

P.S I've never liked Imperial it looks too formal and 'mathsy'. Even looking at their home page its just dark bland colours. Always loved UCL and KCL though :love:

:biggrin:

Why? That's a bit unfair I think...My sixth form gives us free will to pick and choose..

:yep: It sounds really interesting....If you understand the Physics then the mechanics bit will be piss easy.

Ye, i just looked at their website....Pretty poor I think. But the prospectus really is top notch. A few months ago, I sent off for prospectus' from loads of different Uni's to see what they offer. They're all so similar!
Well I'm off! A jam-packed night full of work/revision. Don't think I'll be catching any Z's after all:wink:

Goodnight! :chaplin:
Does anyone else hate ICT? I mean, I love using computers but I'm finding the whole upcycling/CAB coursework tedious. I can't believe that the coursework is 60% of the final grade. Eurghhh!!!
Fair enough. I hate Essay based subjects, I have no motivation to write for long periods of time whatsoever! :frown: I wish I could!! I have no trouble with writing good essays, I just literally have to be forced to do it... :L

Which three are you planning on taking to A2?

Well to do any sort of Engineering I will definitely need to take Maths and Physics. The third one will probably be Geography as it's the modt respected and needed for Civil. You?
I am retaking one of the units. Although my predicted grade is a B I would very much prefer an A

Yeahh same....I find Maths quite simple at home but in exams I mess up....Something to do with exam technique I think.
Original post by Kwaku_96
Does anyone else hate ICT? I mean, I love using computers but I'm finding the whole upcycling/CAB coursework tedious. I can't believe that the coursework is 60% of the final grade. Eurghhh!!!

Mine is 100% coursework -.-
Original post by Kwaku_96

I haven't taken it but from what I've heard from friends, it really is quite difficult.
When I did my Geology coursework it was so boring it was unbelievable...I sure am glad it was only worth 25%!

What an idiot! And law A-Level disadvantages your application to study Law at a top uni as well. Lecturers say those they have taught which did Law A-Level, they have had to teach them everything properly and some stuff they learnt was completely wrong!
Don't even get me started.

I'm sorry mate, but it's all about the Arsenal.

Latest