The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by USB
Lol, for me I find I end up going really deep into one topic, and somehow always seems to link everything back to Maths :/
Haha! Maybe you're a very logical thinker then? :smile:

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Haha! Let me know when you figure it out :biggrin:
I think really deeply about what happens after you die.. I mean, you're just not there are you? You can't remember what happened before you were born, so will it just be like that? I can't imagine being not here. The fact that one day I will stop thinking all together really worries me.. You're just plain a simply not here...
I believe in an afterlife - I'm not sure what it would be like, but I just can't imagine that thee's just..nothing after we die. Maybe it's just a way of coping with science's lack of knowledge of what happens after death (in a sense). Who knows? :iiam:
Original post by USB
Hmm, I've always wandered what would happen if your entire brain was recreated and put into a body.
If this happened after you death, would you feel a sensation of just waking up again?

Would you really be yourself? What defines us? Our memories, experience, skills?

I even sometimes wonder if every time to go to sleep, I actually wake up as a different thinking person, but am tricked by my memories.

Well, theoretically, your brain would have been starved of Oxygen for too long after you had died, and would be able to function again anyway I imagine.. But that really would be amazing. I think your way of thinking, personality, knowledge, memories, experience etc. would all be the same, as they are all parts of your brain. But when it comes to things like skill, I think it would be different, as you rely a lot of your muscles and body for skill.

Have you ever tried really hard to control what happens in your dreams?
Reply 6102
Well, theoretically, your brain would have been starved of Oxygen for too long after you had died, and would be able to function again anyway I imagine.. But that really would be amazing. I think your way of thinking, personality, knowledge, memories, experience etc. would all be the same, as they are all parts of your brain. But when it comes to things like skill, I think it would be different, as you rely a lot of your muscles and body for skill.

Have you ever tried really hard to control what happens in your dreams?

I find I can kinda push it in certain directions, but what ends up happening is that the most random things end up happening - and my dreams never seem to be smooth, instead they are fragmented and contain a lot of dialogue actually... :tongue:
Original post by USB
Hmm, I've always wandered what would happen if your entire brain was recreated and put into a body.
If this happened after you death, would you feel a sensation of just waking up again?

Would you really be yourself? What defines us? Our memories, experience, skills?

I even sometimes wonder if every time to go to sleep, I actually wake up as a different thinking person, but am tricked by my memories.
That would be... mind blowing! I can't even begin to image... Maybe I'm coming across as a bit odd right now, but I believe in past lives too. I think that us connecting with certain things (be it maths, a certain place or a certain topic in history) has to mean more than just an interest. Where does the interest come from? Why are we passionate about some things more than others? Love has to be cultivated, as do friendships. Our personality does too, that's the point of childhood and maturity. So how can something just grab our interest and keep hold of it for the rest of our lives? Surely the emotions we develop for our 'passion' must have had time to grow somewhere else...
Original post by USB
It doesn't of course :tongue:

Just seems as if Mathematics is the language of the world, as cheesy as that may sound :L

Precisely! Mathematics is the universal language. Even if there are other intelligent life forms out in the universe, they will know maths, and that will be the only way we could communicate with them effectively.

Original post by Pandora.

I believe in an afterlife - I'm not sure what it would be like, but I just can't imagine that thee's just..nothing after we die. Maybe it's just a way of coping with science's lack of knowledge of what happens after death (in a sense). Who knows? :iiam:

Well, that's just the thing, nobody knows do they...
Precisely! Mathematics is the universal language. Even if there are other intelligent life forms out in the universe, they will know maths, and that will be the only way we could communicate with them effectively.
Or through interpretive dance. :dontknow:
Original post by USB
I find I can kinda push it in certain directions, but what ends up happening is that the most random things end up happening - and my dreams never seem to be smooth, instead they are fragmented and contain a lot of dialogue actually... :tongue:

This is exactly what happens to me. I feel I can influence decisions that I make within in the dreams, but not perfectly control everything which happens, it's really quite interesting...!
Reply 6107
Hmm. If you still feel bad in the morning, then I'd take the day off. :smile: Once you feel better you'll be able to focus and catch up so much more easily. :smile:

Yep :smile: Just trying to do some revision now but I'm popping back upstairs for a lie down every so often lol
Or through interpretive dance. :dontknow:

Lmao :biggrin: good for entertainment value for the aliens :biggrin:
Guess what day it is tomorrow guys...
Reply 6110
Original post by GreenLantern1

A Wednesday?!
Hmm.
Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards

Nope, Rebecca Black doesn't stretch that far. :dontknow:
Reply 6112

'nuff said :cool:

Tomorrow is my day of double maths. Shoot me somebody :headfire:
Original post by ElMoro

'nuff said :cool:

lmao. Wow that brightened up my chemistry revision :clap2:
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
lmao. Wow that brightened up my chemistry revision :clap2:

How many hours revisiin have you done tonight? I've done 2.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
How many hours revisiin have you done tonight? I've done 2.

Hmmm I think I've done around 3 hours. My brain feels like mush though :frown: What are you revising?
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
Tomorrow is my day of double maths. Shoot me somebody :headfire:

That's a great day! :biggrin:
That's a great day! :biggrin:

O.o I actually think that Maths was put on this Earth to torture me. My maths teacher scares me, im scared to ask her anything in case she sits on me or something >.> We don't even have a maths exam we're just going through A level stuff which is pointless :mad:
It is someone's birthday.

Fine.... it is Prince William I of Orange.

Latest