The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Simply... WOW!! :O
This is something that you only see in your imagination! That is beautiful!

Incredible isn't it?

I can just see myself, sitting by the pond, doing my studying.

The only (slight) downside of Smith, is it's an women's only college. I will have been educated in all-girls schools from 3-18, I'm not quite sure if I want to go all-female at uni level too.

However, the upside is, it's part of the 'Five Colleges Consortium', with Amherst College, Hampshire College and UMass Amherst which are co-ed (the other college, Mount Holyoke is also all women). There's a lot of 'cross college' participation, you can even take courses at the other colleges, so it's not like I'd never see a guy! :biggrin:
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Have you considered GIT, MIT, Harvard or Stanford? I'd like to go to those places :eek:

Harvard possibly, as it's not huge, but I'm looking more at liberal arts colleges as they're smaller.
Have you considered GIT, MIT, Harvard or Stanford? I'd like to go to those places :eek:

I've considered MIT and Harvard, but I do think that it would be too far away from home...

Original post by rock.and.rose
Incredible isn't it?

I can just see myself, sitting by the pond, doing my studying.

The only (slight) downside of Smith, is it's an women's only college. I will have been educated in all-girls schools from 3-18, I'm not quite sure if I want to go all-female at uni level too.

However, the upside is, it's part of the 'Five Colleges Consortium', with Amherst College, Hampshire College and UMass Amherst which are co-ed (the other college, Mount Holyoke is also all women). There's a lot of 'cross college' participation, you can even take courses at the other colleges, so it's not like I'd never see a guy! :biggrin:

It's just a beautiful sight. I can just imagine studying there, so peacefully!

To be fair, I wouldn't be able to manage an all boys school I don't think. Too much testosterone! :biggrin: I think its just better to have mixed schools (for social reasons). I think going to a single sex school at ages prior to 18 would benefit your education, as you are less vulnerable to 'distractions'. But I think at university, you are focused enough to study effectively without being distracted by the opposite sex! :smile: A single sex Uni would kinda frustrate me.. I just find it good to have close male and female friends, as both have different advantages, due to their personalities :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I also like the look of Yale. The only reason why I cant go America is the prices :frown:
I'd apply to Hawaii University too

They seem very competitive though.
Anyway, going to sleep now people! Speak to you tomorrow :smile:
Oh yeah UCL is great, but it's London, so you'd be in accommodation for the first year but for the second and third you'd be in a really small flat as the price is so high. I agree with Oxbridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh and York, but Glasgow? I went there with my family it wasn't very nice, there is quite a bit of poverty and crime there because of the industry decline.
What unis you considering?

Disclaimer- I am not from and do not live in either city.

Did you actually visit the University or even Glasgow for a matter of fact? The uni and halls are in the West end so the only reason you'd encounter rough areas is if you went out of your way to get to them.

You'e from the Midlands and you're complaing of industrial decline/poverty/crime? One word honey. Birmingham
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Anyway, going to sleep now people! Speak to you tomorrow :smile:

Night.

I shall be offer very soon, first day back at school tomorrow, finally!
Original post by HappyBappy
Disclaimer- I am not from and do not live in either city.

Did you actually visit the University or even Glasgow for a matter of fact? The uni and halls are in the West end so the only reason you'd encounter rough areas is if you went out of your way to get to them.

You'e from the Midlands and you're complaing of industrial decline/poverty/crime? One word honey. Birmingham

Birmingham is nice. Do you find the Bullring anywhere else in the UK? :u: No.
I also like the look of Yale. The only reason why I cant go America is the prices :frown:
I'd apply to Hawaii University too

Which of the Hawaii universities would you apply to?

Completely random fact, but I speak fluent Hawaiian, because my grandmother (dad's mum) is Hawaiian. She didn't want Hawaii to become a US state, so although she spent time living on the US mainland (because she met and fell in love with my grandpa who was from California), she refuses to call herself American. She says, "I am Hawaiian." Her and grandpa both live in Hawaii now. Needless to say, I love going to visit them!!!!

Edited to add: Despite the fact my dad is half Pacific Islander, I didn't get a drop of Pacific Islander in me, and am as white as a ghost. Typical!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rock.and.rose
Which of the Hawaii universities would you apply to?

Completely random fact, but I speak fluent Hawaiian, because my grandmother (dad's mum) is Hawaiian. She didn't want Hawaii to become a US state, so although she spent time living on the US mainland (because she met and fell in love with my grandpa who was from California), she refuses to call herself American. She says, "I am Hawaiian." Her and grandpa both live in Hawaii now. Needless to say, I love going to visit them!!!!

WOW, I dunno anywhere with the best beaches :colone:
Suggestions?

I thought everyone in Hawaii spoke English? :frown:
WOW, I dunno anywhere with the best beaches :colone:
Suggestions?

I would say either University of Hawaii at Manoa (in Honolulu), Hawaii Pacific University (also in Honolulu) or University of Hawaii at Hilo.

If you'd prefer the 'Hawaiian paradise' type setting, then Hawaii at Hilo would be a better choice. If you'd still want to have access to city life, then Hawaii at Manoa is a better choice as it's part of the Honolulu area. Honolulu is the "big city" of Hawaii.

I thought everyone in Hawaii spoke English? :frown:

Oh they do, don't worry!

But of course, the Hawaiians had their own language before becoming part of the US, so many of them speak both as they want to preserve their language.

Anyway, on that note, I bid you aloha po (good night)!
Reply 6291
TSR has finally been unblocked at school :biggrin:
Reply 6292
Original post by iJess
In our mock for poetry I'm pretty sure we only got one, it was about a child reading or something haha

That's the poem that I got too, I had already seen it and analysed it for practice. :tongue:
Have you all agreed on award questions yet?
Reply 6294
Original post by Cubic
That's the poem that I got too, I had already seen it and analysed it for practice. :tongue:

Wow that's lucky :P

@Pandora; I made a word sheet with the exam papers and the 2 questions on character and voice, plus that poem if you would like to see it :smile:
hellooo - how was everyone's day?
FUNCTIONAL SKILL MATHS DOES NOT REPLACE YOUR EXISTING LINEAR GRADE

This is edexcel responce when i emailed them

No it won't - they are completely separate qualifications so you will get separate certificates for each. Also, Functional Skills are only graded Pass/Fail so you won't be awarded a letter grade.
Reply 6297
I thought it wasn't actually functional skills? Just more like functional skills questions and you do get a letter grade for it?
Original post by iJess
I thought it wasn't actually functional skills? Just more like functional skills questions and you do get a letter grade for it?

For some people such as I we are sitting Fuctional skills maths ( EDEXCEL ) and you either get a pass or fail so there's no letter grade eg A B C

Edit: I thought it was proper fuctional skills due to the new specification changed :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Everybody - we need to make a final decision on the categories for the awards! :biggrin::smile:

Original post by iJess
Wow that's lucky :P

@Pandora; I made a word sheet with the exam papers and the 2 questions on character and voice, plus that poem if you would like to see it :smile:
If you don't mind, I'd love to! :smile:

Latest