The Student Room Group

Need help with AS Level options!

I really need help with choosing my AS options (again!!!). I have decided to do History and Geography and I'm pretty sure I want to take Sociology as the subject sounds interesting. However, I cannot decide whether to take English Language or Biology as my 4th option. I have been getting A/A*s in English Language at GCSE, but I don't think I am a very creative person, so I think I may struggle (especially with the coursework element).
English Language would compliment Sociology quite well, but I'm worried that I'll have too many essay subjects. Also, I am aware that English Language and Sociology aren't as respected as traditional subjects by universites. I find Biology the most interesting out of the sciences, and it would definitely make my options more diverse but would it be a good combination or not? I do Double Science and I've been getting A's. I'm also worried about the practical exams for Biology (I'm not great at practicals). Theres also the option of psychology, I just don't know which combination would be the best for me. I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but subjects like anthropology and criminology interest me at the moment :smile: Thanks for any help, sorry about the long post, I just want to make the right decision x
English Language at A level is completely different to GCSE.
It's quite complicated and there is a lot to learn and take in. If you want to do English then I'd do Lit.
I do Language and I now wish I had done Lit!
The creative coursework isn't too bad it's only 1000 words so you don't have to be a creative genius to do it :smile:
I think that Universities will like Psychology if you want to do something like criminology :smile: and if you do sociology too that will compliment it!
Good luck making your choices :smile:
at our sixth form we had 2 weeks and then we could change anything we wanted which was pretty good x
Reply 2
do literature or combined english if thats an option for you and psychology. Psychology isn't the most respected of subjects but with hist, geog and lit it's fine. IMO I wouldn't do biology unless you will take it to A2 with psychology and do something like nursing at uni. Although there are some sciency degrees where you can get on with A2 biology and geography.

It' depends on what you want to do. If you want to do something more sciency or something such as nursing then do bio/psych/geog plus lit or history. If you want to go down the 'artsy' route then literature/history/psychology/geography.
Psychology would be a good subject for the uni courses you've mentioned. Biology and Sociology both go well with Psychology, and so a combination of Biology, Psychology, Sociology, History and Geography would be good :smile: (I'm not saying all 5 - take off the one you think you'd enjoy least?)

English Language is completely different to GCSE, but having not studied it, I can't really give you loads of info on it. Maybe read into English Language at A-level a bit more to see whether you're interested in it or not.
However, if you're considering Sociology (and please do - I've just applied to do it at sixth form because it looks so interesting :tongue:) then maybe avoid English Language as, like you've mentioned in your OP, they're both considered quite 'soft' by unis.
Reply 4
Original post by thatgirlbecky
Psychology would be a good subject for the uni courses you've mentioned. Biology and Sociology both go well with Psychology, and so a combination of Biology, Psychology, Sociology, History and Geography would be good :smile: (I'm not saying all 5 - take off the one you think you'd enjoy least?)

English Language is completely different to GCSE, but having not studied it, I can't really give you loads of info on it. Maybe read into English Language at A-level a bit more to see whether you're interested in it or not.
However, if you're considering Sociology (and please do - I've just applied to do it at sixth form because it looks so interesting :tongue:) then maybe avoid English Language as, like you've mentioned in your OP, they're both considered quite 'soft' by unis.

Thanks for your replies everyone, its really helpful :smile: I'm thinking about doing History, Sociology, Biology and Geography. Would this be a decent combination? I'm so indecisive, I keep changing my mind :confused:

I would take Sociology and Psychology but I've been advised against this by a lot of people.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know about other subjects but regarding biology I can tell you you cannot judge AS biology by comparing it to GCSE science... As at biology covers a lot of depth and can be boring and intimidating if you are not really interested in it... I myself found AS Biology boring after a few weeks though I had good grades in O level Biology and I kind of liked the subject...
Original post by xMadabix

Thanks for your replies everyone, its really helpful :smile: I'm thinking about doing History, Sociology, Biology and Geography. Would this be a decent combination? I'm so indecisive, I keep changing my mind :confused:

I would take Sociology and Psychology but I've been advised against this by a lot of people.

That's odd, I was advised to do it because apparently they compliment each other so well.. oh well :rolleyes:

well the combo you said sounds great, Biology, Sociology, History and Geography would keep you open to lots of uni courses/careers :smile:
Reply 7

I think that is a good combination to have. You'll enjoy them!

Quick Reply

Latest