The Student Room Group

poverty gap in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations.
I would increase the gap if I could! - that is the gap between the un-employed and employed. People would soon try harder to find a job if it meant living of the absolute basics everyday.
Reply 22
Original post by ckingalt
Why is the emphasis always on the gap between rich and poor instead of quality of life of poor. I actually believe many social equality activists would be happier with a diminished quality of life for all as long as the disparity between classes are diminished as well. That would reflect a premise based in envy instead of humanity.

What a ridiculous comment. You really think a society would operate well if all people cared about was getting people to come out of absolute poverty? Relative poverty and social mobility are the most important indicators as to how healthy a society is, that's a fact of life. If the top 1% holds up to 30-40% of a country's income, things will not go down well. There needs to be a thriving middle class. It doesn't matter what economic principles you hold dear, a society will become destructive if it has no/small middle class.
Original post by lalala1
well, I wouldn't call it an obsession. But what i'm trying to get at in this thread is the issues around children having low aspirations because they live in poor areas etc (this may not be the case for EVERY child) but I think that is the problem.

Maybe what you might consider low aspirations are for some people high aspirations. The fact of the matter is we need people from poorer areas to lower skilled jobs, and if their job gives them satisfaction in life and they're happy there isn't a problem. The government just needs to make the country a place where these jobs actually exist.
Honestly.... how disconnected is TSR from the current world? Why are so many people on this thread suggesting that quality of life for the poor is "steadily improving"? The minimum wage has more or less flatlined since the recession, benefits have dropped and are continuing to drop, while rent, food and fuel prices soar. How can this even loosely be descibed as "steady improvement"? :facepalm:
Reply 25
Original post by scottb3scott
I would increase the gap if I could! - that is the gap between the un-employed and employed. People would soon try harder to find a job if it meant living of the absolute basics everyday.

I don't think you quite understand what you're suggesting, do you really want a small group of rich people holding the vast majority of a country's capital and cash? Are you sure? I don't mind people saying low taxes for rich people etc. I have no beef with that, but some of the things being said on this thread is actually disturbing, there's just no economic or social thinking there.
Original post by artery08
I don't think you quite understand what you're suggesting, do you really want a small group of rich people holding the vast majority of a country's capital and cash? Are you sure? I don't mind people saying low taxes for rich people etc. I have no beef with that, but some of the things being said on this thread is actually disturbing, there's just no economic or social thinking there.

I dont think you understand what i've suggested at all
What a ridiculous comment. You really think a society would operate well if all people cared about was getting people to come out of absolute poverty? Relative poverty and social mobility are the most important indicators as to how healthy a society is, that's a fact of life. If the top 1% holds up to 30-40% of a country's income, things will not go down well. There needs to be a thriving middle class. It doesn't matter what economic principles you hold dear, a society will become destructive if it has no/small middle class.

The fact is that the way child poverty is defined by a randomly chosen percentage of median income, there will always be child poverty unless the government implements some very extreme income redistribution.

Just to show how stupid the definition is, if Scotland were to become independent, the median income in the rest of the UK would rise and therefore the level of child poverty would rise with no change in living standard. If in a hypothetical 3rd world country the children are starving, but if the families are equally poor, then officially there is no child poverty.
Original post by Mega0448
The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations.

I have no sympathy for so-called 'poor' people in rich countries. It all comes down to bad choices made at some time in their lives. Ask them what they were doing when the nerdy kids they laughed at were doing their homework.
Reply 29
Original post by marcusfox
I have no sympathy for so-called 'poor' people in rich countries. It all comes down to bad choices made at some time in their lives. Ask them what they were doing when the nerdy kids they laughed at were doing their homework.

It's hard to blame a 15 year old's decision not to do their homework as a reason for them being poor.
I hardly did any homework in school and I'm doing well for myself.

It's really not so simple, though, is it? They're laughing because of the social situation they find themselves in; one in which the peers they identify with frown upon those who put in the work, and a home life that doesn't (and has never) provided an environment in which to learn, and enjoy learning. It's all very well to say that "these teens" could have worked hard like the rest - but it's something they've never known. Not as teens, not as young children, not as infants, because their parents didn't care to help them, from the moment they were born. But then, can you even blame the parents? They're simply a product of their own parents, ad infinitum. A few break that cycle but, the sad truth is, it's not many.

I have plenty of sympathy for poverty-locked people who didn't stand a chance from birth.

Probably the saddest bit of it all is that there isn't a solution. You can't help bad parents to be better parents (believe me... I've tried, and continue to try); the overwhelming majority are endlessly stubborn, ignorant and pathetic. They'll rage in your face if you dare to suggest that their shoddy parenting is... well... shoddy. And they'll continue to parent badly, and raise children with no hopes nor aspirations, who will also parent badly.

Try telling a formula-feeding parent the scientific fact that breastmilk is far superior for their child, and they'll rip your head off and attempt to set you on fire.

Now try telling them that they're a lazy, selfish parent, that they don't interact with their child enough, that they don't read to them enough, that they don't help them to engage their imagination, that they stifle them creatively, that they don't take them out enough, or even talk to them enough, and that they destroy their self-esteem from infancy.

The barriers go straight up, and they enter into an impenetrable shell of "HOW DARE YOU I AM PERFECT TO MY LITTLE MAN INNIT!" ... and they carry on as they were. Raising a hopeless person, in a hopeless society.

So... yeah... I have sympathy for them. Some people simply "doomed" from the moment of conception.
Reply 31
The fact is that the way child poverty is defined by a randomly chosen percentage of median income, there will always be child poverty unless the government implements some very extreme income redistribution.

Just to show how stupid the definition is, if Scotland were to become independent, the median income in the rest of the UK would rise and therefore the level of child poverty would rise with no change in living standard. If in a hypothetical 3rd world country the children are starving, but if the families are equally poor, then officially there is no child poverty.

I think you're referring to the measurement of child poverty in relation to relative poverty, because if a child does not have enough food/clothes/shelter, then they are in absolute poverty, it doesn't matter where they are in the world, they would be poor.

But I do agree with you, dealing with absolute poverty is far more important than anything else, but I was responding to a person who claimed that relative poverty does not matter. That is false, because it does matter, income gap between the rich and the poor matters if the disparity is too great. At it's most extreme we would have ghettos in most of the UK and Villas anywhere else. It's just not acceptable for a small number of people to hold most of the country's resources.
Reply 32
Poverty GAP AKA Primark
Reply 33

Typical bigoted brainiack who was likely bullied at school and now has a superior complex.
Reply 34

I am saying that the concept of “human rights” is not relative. If we intend to operate from the premise that all people deserve a minimum standard based on necessity, then WHAT IS NECCESARY! The idea of relative poverty is the equivalent of saying, “tell me how much you have and I will tell you how much I need.” The size of someone else’s boat or plane does not change human requirements.

Social mobility is available in modern western society as it has never been available in any society before. That statement does not mean it is easy. That statement does not mean it is available to anyone who “works hard”. It means it is possible to those who have ability and who make the right choices. Failing that, you still get a guaranteed minimum human sustenance. That may not seem like much, but it is a damn site better than the previous standard.

Wealth is by definition an extraordinary possession of resources. That means wealth can only be possible if it is availability is limited. I want to be wealthy. I will be wealthy. When an attempt to reduce my wealth is made, I naturally want to know why. If the justification is that I don’t deserve it, then I would have to at least consider the reasoning. However, if the justification is that artery08 feels society would benefit from a smaller gap, then my response would probably be something like……..

“Tell that envious little douche bag to kiss the GAP between my balls and my arse!
Reply 35
Original post by IB_19
Agreed, relative poverty is not a problem in the sense that the govt needs to do something about it.

As I said before, surely then the 'millionaires' would be poor and unable to afford anything?
Reply 36

Agree. Sadly though a lot of people do not care about a healthy society. Why would they when everything is privatised and there are no shared resources?

Original post by Bhumbauze
Honestly.... how disconnected is TSR from the current world? Why are so many people on this thread suggesting that quality of life for the poor is "steadily improving"? The minimum wage has more or less flatlined since the recession, benefits have dropped and are continuing to drop, while rent, food and fuel prices soar. How can this even loosely be descibed as "steady improvement"? :facepalm:

Agree. There is a lot of ignorance on TSR.

Nothing extreme about regulating land ownership/ cost of living.
Original post by Chloe xxx
Typical bigoted brainiack who was likely bullied at school and now has a superior complex.

Satire, or just proving my point. You decide.
Reply 38
Why is the emphasis always on the gap between rich and poor instead of quality of life of poor. I actually believe many social equality activists would be happier with a diminished quality of life for all as long as the disparity between classes are diminished as well. That would reflect a premise based in envy instead of humanity.

Perhaps because the issue of the gap between the rich and the poor impact on the quality of life of the poor. Quality of life is related to wealth no matter what people might say.
Reply 39
I am saying that the concept of “human rights” is not relative. If we intend to operate from the premise that all people deserve a minimum standard based on necessity, then WHAT IS NECCESARY! The idea of relative poverty is the equivalent of saying, “tell me how much you have and I will tell you how much I need.” The size of someone else’s boat or plane does not change human requirements.

Social mobility is available in modern western society as it has never been available in any society before. That statement does not mean it is easy. That statement does not mean it is available to anyone who “works hard”. It means it is possible to those who have ability and who make the right choices. Failing that, you still get a guaranteed minimum human sustenance. That may not seem like much, but it is a damn site better than the previous standard.

Wealth is by definition an extraordinary possession of resources. That means wealth can only be possible if it is availability is limited. I want to be wealthy. I will be wealthy. When an attempt to reduce my wealth is made, I naturally want to know why. If the justification is that I don’t deserve it, then I would have to at least consider the reasoning. However, if the justification is that artery08 feels society would benefit from a smaller gap, then my response would probably be something like……..

“Tell that envious little douche bag to kiss the GAP between my balls and my arse!

You're dodging the issue and trying to make yourself the crusader for entrepreneurship and wealth creation. I think you should think about the following points:

1. We both agree that the government have a duty to take people out of absolute poverty and that this is the most important issue in any society. If people don't have enough to continue their existence, this is a national concern. No beef here.

2. You are speaking about the effects of large income disparity in a very simplistic fashion, when a small number of players control the vast majority of a country's resources then the market has failed. It's as simple as that. A failing market requires government intervention. This can either come through necessary regulation or taxation. There is a difference between income gap between big and it being too big. Ask Warren Buffet.

You are no champion of wealth creation, just an under-educated egotistical working class fellow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending