The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Halls - Fallowfield or City accommodation?

Is Fallowfield all it's cut out to be? The only one I would probably consider is Oak House. I went to the open day, and everything seemed all very good, they said Oak House was the best; well, many of them said that (there were 7).

Is Oak House ever over-subscribed (heard of people missing out on OH as a first choice?)

Are any of the City Halls any good? I hear these rumours of city halls being full of internationals, is that the case for all of them? Like Grosvenor Place? Or is it an exaggeration, with there being 1 or 2 internationals in a flat of 5 for example?

Do people in Fallowfield go out into the city much? And how much is transport to/from city centre? Many people with cars as well if you could help give an indication?

Cheers!
Original post by srascal8

Is Fallowfield all it's cut out to be? The only one I would probably consider is Oak House. I went to the open day, and everything seemed all very good, they said Oak House was the best; well, many of them said that (there were 7).

Is Oak House ever over-subscribed (heard of people missing out on OH as a first choice?)
It's not the most oversubscribed - most people I know who applied there got in, and anyway you'll find that a few people drop out fairly rapidly, so you can switch halls then.

Are any of the City Halls any good? I hear these rumours of city halls being full of internationals, is that the case for all of them? Like Grosvenor Place? Or is it an exaggeration, with there being 1 or 2 internationals in a flat of 5 for example?
Whitworth is jam packed with them - I went to a flat party there once and found that I was the only UK student. I think Grosvenor has more UK students though.

Do people in Fallowfield go out into the city much?
Yes

And how much is transport to/from city centre?
Everyone buys a bus pass, which is £185 for a year's transport on all Stagecoach buses throughout Greater Manchester - so if you want to go to the Trafford Centre, it's free. Want to go to Stockport, it's free.

Many people with cars as well if you could help give an indication?
Not really. I only know one person with a car in Oak House, and that's because she regularly has to travel across the country to odd locations. The bus service along the Oxford / Wilmslow Rd corridor (which is basically town / uni / curry mile / Fallowfield) is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and reputed to be the busiest in Europe. There's really no need for a car at all.

Cheers!

:smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
srascal8
I went to the open day, and everything seemed all very good.

You realise that there is Victoria Park campus in between - right?

Also, if you've only been to the open day then you haven't really seen an accurate reflection of the accommodation. Manchester has its very own accommodation open day in March/April, dedicated to those who are looking for first year accommodation in halls of residence.

I would have attempted to answer your questions, but Origami Bullets has already answered them very well.

Should you want some advice on selecting accommodation then please quote me and let me know.

All the best in your decision.

Darren
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3

Do people in Fallowfield go out into the city much? And how much is transport to/from city centre? Many people with cars as well if you could help give an indication?

Cheers!

I used to live in Fallowfield. If you want somewhere with a proper student vibe, ie. parties, going clubbing etc then it's the place for you. International students tend to be found in City accommodation but are usually grouped together in flats/halls - I had a friend in Whitworth who lived with eight girls, only one who was international and a friend in Grosvenor who lived with a mix of girls and boys, and only one international girl again. You'd be very very unlucky to be placed in a flat full of international students, because they are grouped together as I said.

I lived in Owens Park - absolutely hated it, total dump and moved out. Don't go for catered, it is a complete waste of time and money. I think Oak House was my first choice if I remember (going back 3 years here!) and I didn't get in.

Fallowfield people go out into the city, it is only about a 15 min bus ride away without traffic. Magic buses cost around 80p-£1.20 return to fallowfield? Probably changed now, but you can buy like a student saver pass before you go. The two main buses I always see/use are Magic Buses and Finlands (or Finglands? Can't remember) Magic Buses are scruffier, but much much more common and frequent than Finlands buses so I'd get a pass for them.

I don't think students living there have cars, they can't afford it and driving around manchester is murder!
Reply 4
I live in city (whitworth park) and I personally love it. My flat has four internationals out of 8 of us, which seems alot, but it's been fine. Usually what I've found is most flats here have 'the phantom' student (usually asian and you will never see them) and then an exchange student from the US (who are alot of fun and get involved like the rest- they usually have good drinking games too!) and then the rest just british students as such, I think my flat is one of the only about 3 I know which has a 50% international divide.

It has never bothered me because at the end of the day if you want to party you will. I think most people forget you're still at university no matter what halls you live in and there will always be a student vibe somewhere. My halls are massive too so there is always plenty of people going out. I don't feel like living in city has 'deprived' me of a social life at all, if anything it's made it easier for me to go out or be persuaded because everything is so close :wink:

I can't comment on fallowfield as I don't live there, everyone I know says it's a laugh though and it does have a really good vibe about it (hence why I'm choosing to live there in a house next year :P) but at the end of the day they all go out in the city! Fallowfield was my first choice (richmond and sheavyn though which are ridiculously oversubscribed) but I'm happy I ended up here and wouldn't change it. It's the people that make the place :wink:
Original post by tillytots
I live in city (whitworth park) and I personally love it. My flat has four internationals out of 8 of us, which seems alot, but it's been fine. Usually what I've found is most flats here have 'the phantom' student (usually asian and you will never see them) and then an exchange student from the US (who are alot of fun and get involved like the rest- they usually have good drinking games too!) and then the rest just british students as such, I think my flat is one of the only about 3 I know which has a 50% international divide.

It has never bothered me because at the end of the day if you want to party you will. I think most people forget you're still at university no matter what halls you live in and there will always be a student vibe somewhere. My halls are massive too so there is always plenty of people going out. I don't feel like living in city has 'deprived' me of a social life at all, if anything it's made it easier for me to go out or be persuaded because everything is so close :wink:

I can't comment on fallowfield as I don't live there, everyone I know says it's a laugh though and it does have a really good vibe about it (hence why I'm choosing to live there in a house next year :P) but at the end of the day they all go out in the city! Fallowfield was my first choice (richmond and sheavyn though which are ridiculously oversubscribed) but I'm happy I ended up here and wouldn't change it. It's the people that make the place :wink:

hey! When we apply to a student accommodation, they put us in flats? So its not like a hotel style where they're individual rooms?

Thanks!!
Reply 6
Original post by tillytots

See, I'm considering putting either a city hall or Oak House as first choice, but so not sure. I used to live in London, then moved to a town. I'd just love being in the heart of things...not needing to hop on a bus etc. Then again, if I were to be saddled with internationals, I'd be so so gutted, when I could've chosen Oak House, and most likely have gotten in...what's the 'least' international city hall if there is such a place? I also prefer a large hall with 400+ people as that would reduce the risk of being all international. Are city halls bigger? Any opinions on Whitworth Park? As that seemed closest to the City centre from the uni?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending