The Student Room Group

Do you get a bit more financial help if you have a sibling who's also a student?

My friend told me that if you're going to be an undergrad. student and have a sibling (or more than 1) who's also one then you get a bit more financial help because you're parents are expected to have to try and 'support' both/all of you or something like that.
Is that true? I've never heard that before and I don't think I belive it....
Original post by Pen Island
My friend told me that if you're going to be an undergrad. student and have a sibling (or more than 1) who's also one then you get a bit more financial help because you're parents are expected to have to try and 'support' both/all of you or something like that.
Is that true? I've never heard that before and I don't think I belive it....

Yes, it's true. Your parents get a £1130 disregard applied to their income for each sibling you have. For this to work make sure you enter your name and your sibling's name(s) on the section of the application that asks if there are other dependants attending university in the household, and then tick that you are the applicant. Your sibling should do the same on their app, but tick themselves instead of you.

It's not much but it's something.
Reply 2
Original post by glittersticks
Yes, it's true. Your parents get a £1130 disregard applied to their income for each sibling you have. For this to work make sure you enter your name and your sibling's name(s) on the section of the application that asks if there are other dependants attending university in the household, and then tick that you are the applicant. Your sibling should do the same on their app, but tick themselves instead of you.

Thanks! Every litte helps I guess.
Reply 3
Original post by glittersticks

i asked my dad about this (he works in finance so he has researched this and knows his stuff well) and he's told me this isnt true. you dont get any extra financial help if you have a sibling who is also a student.

have you got a link or source to back up your claim please?
Reply 4
Original post by snowman77
i asked my dad about this (he works in finance so he has researched this and knows his stuff well) and he's told me this isnt true. you dont get any extra financial help if you have a sibling who is also a student.

have you got a link or source to back up your claim please?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_188677 It doesn't say the amount though.

does that apply to people who also recieve maintance grants as well as loans?
the link seems outdated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending