The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I bet a lot of people WOULD brake. :P
Reply 21
Cessie
I bet a lot of people WOULD brake. :P

Yes, because there's no requirement to experience a skid to get a license, something I think needs to be adressed.

How many lives would be saved if an afternoon on a skid pan was made compulsory, as part of the testing process?
Easy, keep the throttle on steady and opposite lock it to drift it round.

I know this cos my car (early 2005 Chevy Matiz - looks like Daewoo but has Chevy engine in it) oversteers quite a bit cos I asked my mate to set it up for a bit of oversteer cos it was always understeering. Now if I take a corner fast, the back end comes out and I drift it!
Dickie
Yes, because there's no requirement to experience a skid to get a license, something I think needs to be adressed.

How many lives would be saved if an afternoon on a skid pan was made compulsory, as part of the testing process?

Definitely, which is why a mate took me on a track in an old Lotus Carlton with bald tires (his project car) and got it skidding around quite easily in the wet! Scary at first then alot of fun!
The Canadian
I know this cos my car (early 2005 Chevy Matiz - looks like Daewoo but has Chevy engine in it) oversteers quite a bit cos I asked my mate to set it up for a bit of oversteer cos it was always understeering. Now if I take a corner fast, the back end comes out and I drift it!

:rolleyes:

Why do I find 99% of your car posts difficult to believe?

BTW, it's still a Daewoo engine most likely; just a Chevy badge. And I doubt that Chevy gave their entry level eco-car adjustable suspension which might enable a front-wheel drive car like that to oversteer more than it would naturally. I may be wrong, but there probably isn't bolt-up replacement suspension that you could put in even if you wanted to.

Like I said, I may be wrong... but I'm probably right.:wink: :cool:
Reply 25
it's still a Daewoo engine most likely

Would have thought so, I can't see Chevvy building an engine with less than 2 litres some how lol

My instructor had the Daewoo, you could tell it was Korean, the engine just had nothing in it. The heat shield for the exhaust manifold was also 1mm thick aluminum :eek:
The small displacement engines for American Chevy's are built by Isuzu. Chevy just doesn't do small engines. It's a lot cheaper to get them from somewhere else like Isuzu or Daewoo.
Reply 27
Firstu you must learn the wayu of the dorriftuuu, then when overtsteeruu happen round eye can doriftu and win super happy doriftu battle for great hornouru.
The Canadian
I know this cos my car (early 2005 Chevy Matiz - looks like Daewoo but has Chevy engine in it)

I think you mean it is a Daewoo but with a Chevy badge on it... :smile:

The Canadian
oversteers quite a bit cos I asked my mate to set it up for a bit of oversteer cos it was always understeering. Now if I take a corner fast, the back end comes out and I drift it!

I think you need some new tyres, preferably something with decent grip like Continentals - not ****** Pirellis.
Reply 29
I asked my mate to set it up for a bit of oversteer cos it was always understeering

It has adjustable suspension?
snmichaels
:rolleyes:

Why do I find 99% of your car posts difficult to believe?

BTW, it's still a Daewoo engine most likely; just a Chevy badge. And I doubt that Chevy gave their entry level eco-car adjustable suspension which might enable a front-wheel drive car like that to oversteer more than it would naturally. I may be wrong, but there probably isn't bolt-up replacement suspension that you could put in even if you wanted to.

Like I said, I may be wrong... but I'm probably right.:wink: :cool:

That truck thing a while ago was what I was told about the truck! I don't know much about engines and suspensions so I get people to do stuff for me and I tend to believe them about stuff. I know about style, I know about interior (self taught from restoring mate's camper van) and I know about paint. I also know how to drive damn fast with full control :p: (I LOVE speed!!) Other than that I'm an idiot about stuff and I admit it!

Back to the CHEVY...
It has whatever the engine is in the new Matiz which is different to the old Matiz one. May well still be Daewoo, but whatever.

And as for the adjusting the suspension, the back end is leaf springs, and I think my mate reduced the movement in it somehow. I'm just judging by the large amount of jarring from speed bumps now and the fact that in kart which have no suspension at all the back end slides out very easily.

And Kingsparm, I don't even have Pirellis!!! Can't remember what I do have, but to be honest, they are probably screwed from driving fast everywhere!! The tires are always really really hot when I get out the car, and that's after putting the stereo away and crook lock on.

OMGWTF
It has adjustable suspension?

No, leafsprings, but my mate is a genius when it comes to cars so I thought he'd be able to set something up and he did. It now oversteers slightly rather than understeering. I think he just made the suspension harder, possibly by just putting something under the leafs.
Reply 31
The Canadian
Definitely, which is why a mate took me on a track in an old Lotus Carlton with bald tires (his project car) and got it skidding around quite easily in the wet! Scary at first then alot of fun!

That's also one of the reasons my parents paid for me to spend a day rallying last year. To learn to control a car in conditions with low grip. The fact that it was bloody good fun had nothing to do with it :biggrin:
Reply 32
The Canadian
...And Kingsparm, I don't even have Pirellis!!! Can't remember what I do have, but to be honest, they are probably screwed from driving fast everywhere!! The tires are always really really hot when I get out the car, and that's after putting the stereo away and crook lock on.

Unless I'm missing something, you're talking about a Daewoo Matiz. In which case, you wont be driving anywhere fast :p:
Dickie
Unless I'm missing something, you're talking about a Daewoo Matiz. In which case, you wont be driving anywhere fast :p:

I'd like to see you say that from my passenger seat!! Only time I'm not going anywhere fast is when there's a cop or speed camera about! You would be surprised at what a Matiz can do (1 litre of course, the 0.8 is a pile of sh*te!!)
Reply 34
The Canadian
I'd like to see you say that from my passenger seat!! Only time I'm not going anywhere fast is when there's a cop or speed camera about! You would be surprised at what a Matiz can do (1 litre of course, the 0.8 is a pile of sh*te!!)

0-60 in 12-ish seconds, top speed of about 94, and I'm guessing comedy handling? I doubt I'd be surprised...
Dickie
0-60 in 12-ish seconds, top speed of about 94, and I'm guessing comedy handling? I doubt I'd be surprised...

No way 0-60 is that slow! I've done it in just under 10 before! Top speed is 96 but unless speedo is out by more than the EEC regs allow, it's higher than that. According to the speedo I've done 95 easily before, and my mum has gone over a ton in it before.

Comedy handling is non existant. It goes where I want it to go, beautiful accuracy of steering (for a city hatch anyway) and nice control too. I will admit it leans quite a bit if you take corners hard (ie when mates tell you to turn into the road you're nose is across!!) but otherwise it's a great car.
steer into the skid by using opposite lock, then pump the brake as you are doing so to ensure that your speed is decreased enough for you to regain more controll of the car.

although flooring it would seem like a good iedea you would probably get nothing more than a bit of wheelspin from it. i would rpobably try and do what i have done in my skid pan sessions and trow the steering wheel about a bit to se what i can do. although wouldn't know until i was actually in the situation
Reply 37
The Canadian
No way 0-60 is that slow! I've done it in just under 10 before! Top speed is 96 but unless speedo is out by more than the EEC regs allow, it's higher than that. According to the speedo I've done 95 easily before, and my mum has gone over a ton in it before.

Well I've just pulled those stats from a magazine, so you'll probably find you just mis-timed it :smile: Also bear in mind speedos tend to under-read, especially at higher speeds.
Dickie
Well I've just pulled those stats from a magazine, so you'll probably find you just mis-timed it :smile: Also bear in mind speedos tend to under-read, especially at higher speeds.

EEC regulatoin 39 states that speedometers on all European cars must not have an error of more than 10% + or - 4kmph. If top speed of the car is 94mph, then the highest the speedo can read is 106mph, and if my mum had it over a ton, and she wouldn't strain the engine, then either there is something messed up with my speedo, or my vehicle does not conform to those statistics.

If the top speed was 96 that would be fine as max speedo could read would be 109, but would still be under alot of strain and my mum's too good a driver to strain the engine like that.
It still cracks me up...

..."Daewoo" and "fast" in a sentence without the word "not" :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending