The Student Room Group

Questions about Maintenance grant

I am entitled to the fullest loan/grant due to my income.

If I get the full £3250 grant will that subtract from the loan I get? I'm just curious if I will need a job during my first year?

Also, due to my low income, will I be entitled to any other grants/bursaries? I will be attending either London South Bank or Leeds Met.

Thanks.
Reply 1
For every £1 of grant you receive this reduces the maximum loan you will get by 50 pence.

For example, studying outside London, the maximum loan available is £5500, but would be reduced by £1625 because of your grant, meaning a £3875 loan, giving you a total of £7125.

If you are entitled to maximum support from SF this would mean you should get the maximum bursary from whichever uni you go to. You would have to check the uni's website for the amount, as they all vary depending on the uni.
Reply 2
Thank you for the help. It seems the university of my choice will only give out bursaries if I am disabled or live under a certain post code... Ah well £7125 is plenty :P
Reply 3
Original post by JasperHope
Thank you for the help. It seems the university of my choice will only give out bursaries if I am disabled or live under a certain post code... Ah well £7125 is plenty :P

Are you sure you're looking at 2012 bursaries? I was under the impression that universities charging higher fees were under obligation to provide more in the way of bursaries and fee waivers to low income households.
Reply 4

I am entitled to the fullest loan/grant due to my income.

If I get the full £3250 grant will that subtract from the loan I get? I'm just curious if I will need a job during my first year?

Also, due to my low income, will I be entitled to any other grants/bursaries? I will be attending either London South Bank or Leeds Met.

Thanks.

how do u apply for the grant the £3250
Reply 5
Original post by wwelol
how do u apply for the grant the £3250

You can't apply for the maintenance grant, you are automatically assessed for it if you choose to provide household income info.
Reply 6
how do u provide housolde income info ?
to who?
im only applying for grant no loans?
I have been wondering this for so long now, so thank you becuase you have also helped me :')
Quick questions for anyone knowing the answer, when i have started applying for student finance. Like filling out the forms online, im not sure what i have applied for tho? i want to apply for the loan and grant where/how do i specify this?
Reply 8
I wanted to apply for the grant (and i thought i did) but got a letter a few days ago from SFE showing what I get and it's only the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan (yes, I am eligible for the grant). Should I call them?
Reply 9
Original post by wwelol
how do u provide housolde income info ?
to who?
im only applying for grant no loans?

No loans as in, no tuition fee loan or maintenance loan? If your household income is low enough to get a grant you will still need to complete a SF application but just put £0 in the tuition and maintenance loan parts, and make sure you choose your application to be income assessed.

Original post by NatashaLee
I have been wondering this for so long now, so thank you becuase you have also helped me :')
Quick questions for anyone knowing the answer, when i have started applying for student finance. Like filling out the forms online, im not sure what i have applied for tho? i want to apply for the loan and grant where/how do i specify this?

When filling out the SF application if you choose to be income assessed you will automatically be awarded a grant if your household income is low enough.

Original post by FristyKino
I wanted to apply for the grant (and i thought i did) but got a letter a few days ago from SFE showing what I get and it's only the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan (yes, I am eligible for the grant). Should I call them?

You should have chosen for your application to be income assessed. Call them and ask for this, and then you will need to provide SF with your household income details.
Reply 10
Original post by Shani

Original post by Shani
No loans as in, no tuition fee loan or maintenance loan? If your household income is low enough to get a grant you will still need to complete a SF application but just put £0 in the tuition and maintenance loan parts, and make sure you choose your application to be income assessed.

When filling out the SF application if you choose to be income assessed you will automatically be awarded a grant if your household income is low enough.

You should have chosen for your application to be income assessed. Call them and ask for this, and then you will need to provide SF with your household income details.

yeh i agree the website is bloody confusing
any way thanks for your help bro
Original post by Shani

I'm sure I had initially chosen for my application to be income assessed.
But clearly it didnt register it or whatever :biggrin:

Is there anyway I can change it online? Or is calling them the only way to fix it?
Reply 12
Original post by FristyKino
I'm sure I had initially chosen for my application to be income assessed.
But clearly it didnt register it or whatever :biggrin:

Is there anyway I can change it online? Or is calling them the only way to fix it?

i also have this problem :frown: so if you work out how to sort it could you please tell me. thank you very muchhh x
Original post by Shani

Thank you! :smile:
thats great :3
Reply 14
Hiya guys
Please can any1 explain to me how d grant, dependant allowance, loan and child care works
Tank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending