The Student Room Group

University of Malta Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by dmz
what's the exact requirement if you already have a degree? and does your degree has to be classed as a Bsc? Mine is Beng even though i'm studying medical engineering

I do not believe there is any requirement on the classification of the degree. It would be most favourable if it was medically relate, however. I feel you are still eligible to apply with any classification of degree. If it is not medically related, you may have a higher probability of being invited to take the Biology and/or chemistry tests (although, this is not the only reason why you might be required to sit these exams). They may also take into account other educational qualifications that may however, lie in the 'medical field', which is why it is so important to include your full formal educational history on the application form.

Good luck!
Original post by Abbieastoria
This course Is way harder and looked much better upon than English medical degrees

Maltese people think the English education system is a joke. so to answer your question, believe it or not, it's a better standard of education here than UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AspiringGenius
Don't take this as aggressive, but can you qualify that please?

+1

I don't really want to derail this thread into a discussion about the quality of EU medicine degrees Vs UK medicine degrees, but let's be honest, the status and reputation of the university you graduate from is important (some Caribbean medicine courses have recently lost their GMC accreditation).

Therefore, is there any information regarding "This course Is way harder and looked much better upon than English medical degrees" etc? As I would have assumed hospitals preferred UK based junior doctors...
Reply 542
Original post by lallybabs
I do not believe there is any requirement on the classification of the degree. It would be most favourable if it was medically relate, however. I feel you are still eligible to apply with any classification of degree. If it is not medically related, you may have a higher probability of being invited to take the Biology and/or chemistry tests (although, this is not the only reason why you might be required to sit these exams). They may also take into account other educational qualifications that may however, lie in the 'medical field', which is why it is so important to include your full formal educational history on the application form.

Good luck!

I did all science at A levels with As and Bs, it's just that on the special requirement it said Bsc, pharmaceutical degree and Dentistry and usually special requirements are added to the general entry requirement also. Might have to email them

Is there anyone here in malta who's already a graduate?
Original post by steak&onion
+1

I don't really want to derail this thread into a discussion about the quality of EU medicine degrees Vs UK medicine degrees, but let's be honest, the status and reputation of the university you graduate from is important (some Caribbean medicine courses have recently lost their GMC accreditation).

Therefore, is there any information regarding "This course Is way harder and looked much better upon than English medical degrees" etc? As I would have assumed hospitals preferred UK based junior doctors...

This is what I'm told both by the lecturers (some of which who actually did their own degree in the UK) and people on our course who've studied a few years of medicine in the UK before coming here.

The better looked upon bit is the view of the Maltese people. Since they are a tiny island and this is their only medical school, they have to train the best doctors in the country at one university, the course is very reflective of the Oxbridge system, 2 years Pre-clinical before you even go into hospitals. The level of detail we need to know here is by far more than the UK (again this has been mentioned constantly all year by both lecturers and students who've experienced both)

I'm not saying it is definitely better, but the Maltese certainly favour their own doctors over UK doctors and many doctors who end up going to the UK say they feel they know more than the colleagues who are in the same foundation year as them

For example my own doctor in the UK said he couldn't help me with a leg problem because he "didn't know anything about legs" here it's not an option not to you, you must know every muscle, what it is supplied by in terms of artery and nerve, it's lymphatic drainage and its role. As well as this the origins and insertions of the muscles and the paths of the nerves arteries and veins

This university really does offer a very high standard of education to its medical students, I feel very lucky to be here and would encourage you all to apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 544
What kind of scientific training do you get? In some European countries you get a MSc after finishing the medical degree (and not an MD or an MBBS) and this means that master students have to do an internship in a lab. Do you do that as well in Malta? Or is it a strictly professional degree?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 545
Original post by Monco
What kind of scientific training do you get? In some European countries you get a MSc after finishing the medical degree (and not an MD or an MBBS) and this means that master students have to do an internship in a lab. Do you do that as well in Malta?

You get an M.D. There is no 'internship' requirement. You get your M.D. and apply for Foundation Programs and or residencies in whatever country you wish to continue your training.
Reply 546
Original post by lallybabs
You get an M.D. There is no 'internship' requirement. You get your M.D. and apply for Foundation Programs and or residencies in whatever country you wish to continue your training.

I see, well I guess that's the difference between an MSc and an MD.
I'm an A-level student applying to study medicine at Malta this year (2013 entry). I am travelling over to Malta this Sunday (17th of Feb) until the 20th. I'm travelling with my mum and staying in a hotel; we're planning to have a look at the university and get a better feel for Malta.

From what I've read and seen Malta looks great and I was wondering if I could get some more information from a current student. I live in the UK so coming to Malta is a big deal for me, I'd really appreciate if someone could take the time to even talk to me for five minuets! If you currently study medicine and don't have the time, could you pass this on to you're friends? I'd be really grateful of any help!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 548
Original post by BexleyRimmer
I'm an A-level student applying to study medicine at Malta this year (2013 entry). I am travelling over to Malta this Sunday (17th of Feb) until the 20th. I'm travelling with my mum and staying in a hotel; we're planning to have a look at the university and get a better feel for Malta.

From what I've read and seen Malta looks great and I was wondering if I could get some more information from a current student. I live in the UK so coming to Malta is a big deal for me, I'd really appreciate if someone could take the time to even talk to me for five minuets! If you currently study medicine and don't have the time, could you pass this on to you're friends? I'd be really grateful of any help!

Thank you :smile:

Hey BexleyRimmer,

Send me a message in my inbox. I'd be happy to meet with you and chat with you when you're here in Malta. Let me know :smile:
Hi, I am UK British citizen living in the UK (London) who is interested in studying medicine in university of Malta but i have a few questions;

How much are the University Fees (if any)?

how many years is the course?

Does it offer MD certificate or MBBS?

After i graduate will i be able to work as a doctor in the UK?

i done my GCSE's in UK and recieved;
5 A/A* 5 B grades and 1 C Grade
And now;
I am currently studying AS level Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Economics (all in English) and planning to study them in A2 level on my second year, will i be able to enter with these subjects, if so what is the minimum requirement?

Is there anything else im required to do for me to study medicine in University of Malta?

I do hope i i get positive answer as i am really looking forward in studying medicine in Malta.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending