The Student Room Group

University of Malta Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by username2012
If you are NOT a graduate applicant, you have to have a humanities subject or you get rejected..sucks.

Have they rejected u on that basis? They have a weird subject requirements.
What are you thinking of doing now?
Original post by Aysha92
Have they rejected u on that basis? They have a weird subject requirements.
What are you thinking of doing now?

um no I ended up not applying as the admissions guy said id basically get a rejection...im looking elsewhere now..
did you have a humanitarian subject? hope they dont reject u lol
Reply 42
um no I ended up not applying as the admissions guy said id basically get a rejection...im looking elsewhere now..
did you have a humanitarian subject? hope they dont reject u lol

Soo sorry to hear that. :frown: but I thought you already applied from what you said in an earlier post?
I did geography but didn't even know it was a requirement until after I applied.
Thank you and I really hope you can find a good place to apply.
Do you think you might apply here again?
Good luck and keep me updated :smile:

hey guys, I have also applied to Malta.
I was a bit unsure about the whole form, I applied with 'local qualifications' put in my A2 BIO & CHEM grades, and in the 'intermediate level' put in my A2 FRENCH and AS MATHS grade.

Didnt put in any GCSE's was unsure where to put them...

very confusing. :s-smilie:
Hey guys,
I'm from Malta, about to do my a levels (hoping for As/Bs in bio and chem to get into medicine) if anyone has any questions about the course or our country in general I'll try my best to answer. :smile: The subject requirements are kind of weird, ye... even I think so, haha...but actually the ones for medicine are the most straightforward!
Original post by curlyhairedmonster
Hey guys,
I'm from Malta, about to do my a levels (hoping for As/Bs in bio and chem to get into medicine) if anyone has any questions about the course or our country in general I'll try my best to answer. :smile: The subject requirements are kind of weird, ye... even I think so, haha...but actually the ones for medicine are the most straightforward!

Good luck :smile:
I'm thinking about applying too, but i'm not too sure when the deadline is!
Do you know anything about the accommodation arrangements :h:?
In reply to Simple Symphony, there is the official university residence: http://universityresidence.com/ but many people opt out to rent their own flat... maybe due to the difference in price although to be honest I wouldn't know the best option. :smile: The Residence offers a bus service direct to the university at specific times etc. :smile: All the information is there. Our application deadline is around end of July I think because we apply right after our exam results come out mid July. :smile:
Ysabell: The 2012 syllabus for our biology and chemistry a levels can be found here: http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/101804/AM05.pdf and here http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/106426/AM06.pdf

We do many practicals, around 30 each year... and we have a practical examination as part of our overall grade but to be honest I don't think they'll check up on that as long as you have the grades required... Maltese students don't need to do any volunteering etc (except for as part of an extra project which has to do with another subject... but it's nothing to do with foreign applications since the subject is found in Malta only.) I don't know if they'll want any work experience/ volunteering etc for foreign applicants... you will have to email again to make sure.:/ We actually don't write personal statements and I honestly have no idea what those are... I feel a bit ignorant but over here if you get the grades you pretty much get in to medicine. We don't have this huge application process, so I was really shocked with the long process you have to go through abroad.

We need B's in biology and chemistry and a B in any other subject to get in... it may seem like a low standard compared to countries abroad but we are VERY competitive when it comes to marks. Only 20% of people get over B in biology/ chemistry... Once again I don't know how it is abroad. :P Every year around 120 people enter the medical school as first years (including foreign students.)
I'm applying for 2012 entry supposedly, I might have to redo the year if I don't get those marks. I'm really worried about not getting a B in chemistry!
If you have any other questions feel free to message me. :smile:
x
Original post by curlyhairedmonster
In reply to Simple Symphony, there is the official university residence: http://universityresidence.com/ but many people opt out to rent their own flat... maybe due to the difference in price although to be honest I wouldn't know the best option. :smile: The Residence offers a bus service direct to the university at specific times etc. :smile: All the information is there. Our application deadline is around end of July I think because we apply right after our exam results come out mid July. :smile:
Ysabell: The 2012 syllabus for our biology and chemistry a levels can be found here: http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/101804/AM05.pdf and here http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/106426/AM06.pdf

We do many practicals, around 30 each year... and we have a practical examination as part of our overall grade but to be honest I don't think they'll check up on that as long as you have the grades required... Maltese students don't need to do any volunteering etc (except for as part of an extra project which has to do with another subject... but it's nothing to do with foreign applications since the subject is found in Malta only.) I don't know if they'll want any work experience/ volunteering etc for foreign applicants... you will have to email again to make sure.:/ We actually don't write personal statements and I honestly have no idea what those are... I feel a bit ignorant but over here if you get the grades you pretty much get in to medicine. We don't have this huge application process, so I was really shocked with the long process you have to go through abroad.

We need B's in biology and chemistry and a B in any other subject to get in... it may seem like a low standard compared to countries abroad but we are VERY competitive when it comes to marks. Only 20% of people get over B in biology/ chemistry... Once again I don't know how it is abroad. :P Every year around 120 people enter the medical school as first years (including foreign students.)
I'm applying for 2012 entry supposedly, I might have to redo the year if I don't get those marks. I'm really worried about not getting a B in chemistry!
If you have any other questions feel free to message me. :smile:
x

Thanks, this was quite informative :smile:

Do you know how many international students are accepted onto the course each year? I heard that roughly 20 applicants are accepted each year, but I also heard that they have no upper limit...:confused:
Reply 47
Have any UK applicants heard anything back yet? Or do you know when we expect to receive a decision? Thanks.
Reply 48
How long has it been since you applied, and what have you been told since?
Reply 49
Original post by DrKarma
How long has it been since you applied, and what have you been told since?

2 months. Nothing apart from decisions will be made soon.

Have you applied and if so when and have you heard back? Are you a graduate or A-Level student?
Reply 50
HI there ! I needed Some Information regarding Fees for Medicine ? and what is the duration of the course and what modules are taught during the course ?
there seems to be more information regarding accommodation then the course it self !
will greatly appreciate your help !
Reply 51
Original post by Aysha92
2 months. Nothing apart from decisions will be made soon.

Have you applied and if so when and have you heard back? Are you a graduate or A-Level student?

Hiya,

Yes I have applied also. Haven't got a definite answer as yet. Keep being told the same as you " you will know sooner rather than later".... I am a graduate, you?
Reply 52
Original post by m_ali9990
HI there ! I needed Some Information regarding Fees for Medicine ? and what is the duration of the course and what modules are taught during the course ?
there seems to be more information regarding accommodation then the course it self !
will greatly appreciate your help !

Hi there,

If you are an EU or Local student you are exempt from paying tuition fees.
The University of Malta only offers a 5 year undergraduate MD course.
I hope this helps... I am unsure which modules are taught but I suspect over the years all of the human systems- anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology with the appropriate management.
Reply 53
Original post by DrKarma
Hiya,

Yes I have applied also. Haven't got a definite answer as yet. Keep being told the same as you " you will know sooner rather than later".... I am a graduate, you?

Hi,
It is really annoying. Have you even heard back about the entrance exam as I understand some post grad students or those who applied with intl' qualifications need to sit near the end of this month?
I'm a gap year applicant. Most applicants to Malta seem to be graduates!
Reply 54
Original post by Aysha92
Hi,
It is really annoying. Have you even heard back about the entrance exam as I understand some post grad students or those who applied with intl' qualifications need to sit near the end of this month?
I'm a gap year applicant. Most applicants to Malta seem to be graduates!

I am sure they will have a lot of undergraduate students applying from Malta as they are yet to sit there A-Levels. I am just waiting.. any second preference courses? I didn't opt for any.
Reply 55
Original post by DrKarma
I am sure they will have a lot of undergraduate students applying from Malta as they are yet to sit there A-Levels. I am just waiting.. any second preference courses? I didn't opt for any.

Yeah true, I mean UK applicants.
Nope, just medicine. I wanted to apply for dentistry but didn't have AS physics :frown:
Reply 56
Good luck all you guys.

Just to maybe answer a few questions or give some perspective.

The medicine course in Malta has been admitting increasing number of students recently. In Oct 2010 it was around 130, in Oct 2011 it was 150 (not exact numbers). There is also an increasing number of foreigners (although a number of them are from Kuwait, since the Maltese government has an agreement of sorts). I hear the first 2 years of medical school have become more competitive.

As for living options are
1) University residence
2) A flat in Msida, walking distance from university. These would be privately owned.
3) A flat somewhere else, maybe a bit cheaper but then you would need to use public transport/buy a vehicle
I think monthly costs would be around around €500-600 basics including rent (but it really depends on what you go for).

Whilst English is accepted you guys should still be aware that throughout the last 3 years of the course, from 3rd year on wards, you shall be in contact with Maltese patients. A good majority of patients have a basic understanding of English, but you will find others who do not speak English. Apart from this most conversations between doctors and patients will take place in Maltese. This is not something that should discourage you but should be kept in mind.

If you have any particular questions ask away.
I am a medical student currently at the UoM. The only potential problem is that a good bulk of the syllabus has/is being changed and I might not be able to answer certain questions because of this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Acidian
Good luck all you guys.

The medicine course in Malta has been admitting increasing number of students recently. In Oct 2010 it was around 130, in Oct 2011 it was 150 (not exact numbers). There is also an increasing number of foreigners (although a number of them are from Kuwait, since the Maltese government has an agreement of sorts). I hear the first 2 years of medical school have become more competitive.

1) University residence
2) A flat in Msida, walking distance from university. These would be privately owned.
3) A flat somewhere else, maybe a bit cheaper but then you would need to use public transport/buy a vehicle
I think monthly costs would be around around €500-600 basics including rent (but it really depends on what you go for).

Whilst English is accepted you guys should still be aware that throughout the last 3 years of the course, from 3rd year on wards, you shall be in contact with Maltese patients. A good majority of patients have a basic understanding of English, but you will find others who do not speak English. Apart from this most conversations between doctors and patients will take place in Maltese. This is not something that should discourage you but should be kept in mind.

I am a medical student currently at the UoM. The only potential problem is that a good bulk of the syllabus has/is being changed and I might not be able to answer certain questions because of this.

hey

i was wondering , what do you study in the first year? and is maltese a hard language to learn?
Reply 58
Original post by Acidian
Good luck all you guys.

1) University residence

Hello,
Thanks for all this info - been really useful.
Are you in your third year now? How have you been finding the course and the country? Are you enjoying it there?
With regards to accommodation, is it hard to find a flat in Msida near the uni? Are there agencies that advertise them or how do you go abouts finding one? Also, are they individual flats or shared with other students?
I heard that there is also a uni bus which goes round collecting students from their flats - is this true or do we have to get our own transport?
Do you know how hard it is to come back to the UK after graduating?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help.
Original post by DrKarma
Hiya,

HI! I seen that you are a graduate, do you mind me asking what you graduated in? and also have you heard back yet?

-Suppose I should explain further that I am a graduate in Biotech and will be finishing this year and I would really like to apply to med! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending