The Student Room Group

What's it like to live in London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm a London girl born and bred, so I may be somewhat biased, but I've got 18 years of experience under my belt. Living in London feels like living in the center of the Universe. Not just because Londoners tend to be a tad full of themselves, but because in many ways the world is your oyster. London can be anything you want it to be.
You want posh? West London.
You want down to earth? East London.
You want a little bit of India? Southall.
A little China perhaps? Soho.
World famous markets? Portobello and Camden.
Massive honking parks? Battersea and Hyde.
Theares: everywhere.
Cinemas: everywhere.
Pubs. Clubs. Whatever.
I swear the only things we don't have are mountains and sea, and that's more to do with geographical limitations than anything else.It can be fairly rough; I've been mugged twice, and I live in a fairly pleasant suburb, but for the majority it's not an issue. It can be fairly expensive, but not if you know where to go. You can eat a good meal, or see a play, or a film for a fiver, even in central London if you know where to look. And being a student is a massive benefit, as everyone does student discounts.
But the real question is the university. Every city can be incredible or terrible, depending on your perspective and personality.
UCL is an incredibly beautiful university, and annoyingly well situated. Every time I drive past the accommodation I regret not applying, as it's slap bang in the middle of everything you could want in London, and half of it's in these gorgeous Edwardian buildings that only students and millionaires ever get to live in. I've been to three taster lectures at UCL and enjoyed every one of them. Not to mention it easily outranks Newcastle in most subjects.
I should point out I lived in London 19 years before I moved away for uni and in that time I've never been mugged or been a victim of pickpocketing.

Quick Reply

Latest