The Student Room Group

Unsure which Uni to go to!?

I have received offers from York Manchester Bangor and Warwick to study psychology in September.
I'm currently in the process of going to open days, however after todays open day at Bangor, i'm getting a little worried no uni will be right for me.
I was wondering if you could answer some questions.

What is nightlife like at these unis and which one is best?
Which one is best for psychology?
Which one is cheaper?
Which are the best halls ?
What is transport between campus and town centre like?

I like nightclubs and bars and cafes so would like somewhere with a good range.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Best nightlife - Manchester
Best for Psychology - At a guess Warwick, although York might be a close 2nd
Cheapest - no idea
Best Halls - no idea
Transport - no idea

To be honest I haven't heard of Bangor, but as universities the other 3 are very good. However, I think Warwick is probably the best university out of the ones you have chosen... Warwick, York and Manchester will all have pretty good night life too but Manchester is the largest city of the 3 and will probably have most to do. :smile:
Reply 2
Nightlife - Manchester (duh)

Best for psychology - Warwick (highly rated for social sciences)

Best halls - York (they collegiate + new development of some)

Transport- Manchester (big city)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you! I know Manchester is the best for night life, however I'm not sure about going there so i guess I'm looking for the best night life out of the other 4. Thank you though! :smile:
Re: transport in York. A regular bus to the town centre and train station, altho it's only about 20-30mins walk to the town. It's also got a really good department
Original post by aliceeve
I have received offers from York Manchester Bangor and Warwick to study psychology in September.
I'm currently in the process of going to open days, however after todays open day at Bangor, i'm getting a little worried no uni will be right for me.

Which one is cheaper?

Thank you!

nightlife: manchester
psychology: ?
cheaper: one of the northern ones? bangor is probably quite cheap, manchester aint so bad either.
best halls: york have fairly decent halls (on campus), + quite cheap.
Transport: Manchester theoretically has the best halls but your route to lectures from halls can be very busy and clogged with traffic. but in terms of actual bus services and trains its the best.
Thank you! I know Manchester is the best for night life, however I'm not sure about going there so i guess I'm looking for the best night life out of the other 4. Thank you though! :smile:

York, maybe warwick. bangor's a pretty small town.
Reply 7

Which one is cheaper?

Thank you!

Can I just ask what offer you got from York and what your predicted grades were?
You WILL find a Uni for you, don't worry :smile:

I would say:
Nightlife: Manchester (I live there)
Psychology: Warwick or York
Cheapest: No idea :s-smilie: sorry
Best halls: York, a wide range of different ones at different prices
Transport: Manchester I would say just out of experience :smile:
Reply 8

Which one is cheaper?

Thank you!

Nightlife - Manchester by far, it's a fantastic city
Psychology - York and Manchester again are good, but Warwick would be the best for Psychology in my opinion
Cheapest - i'm not an expert, but i would guess Manchester or York (the north is generally cheaper)
Best Halls - York
Transport - Manchester

Not to confuse you further, but that is such a hard decision! If you want prestige and aren't to bothered about nightlife, Warwick would be an excellent choice. However if you do want good nightlife, Manchester would probably cater for your needs better.

I'd say the best choice for you would be Manchester or Warwick; York isn't as prestigious as Warwick (only just though) and Manchester has better nightlife.
Reply 9
Either York or Warwick.
I would say that Bangor would most definately be the cheapest as it literally is just a little North Wales city, though my friends from round there and said it can actually be alright at night...I'm thinking that no uni appears right for me either, and have also applied to Bangor. Decisions!!!!
Reply 11
York is the best for Psychology, followed fairly closely by Bangor. The 2008 RAE (which means a lot more than league tables) places York as tied for 7th best in the country and Bangor right behind it, out of 100+ other universities. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Manchester/Warwick departments; very good universities but their strongest subjects do not include Psychology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
The whole 'uni right for me' whole kinda approach is a bit overused with uni decisions nowadays. You just can't get a feeling or true understanding of how you will find it until you there. The area, nightlife is a thing to look for, but not entirely key...it all depends on the people you're with, and you can't predict that. So don't worry about it. York/Warwick are the best overall unis there, York is best for Psy. However, Warwick edges it overall. Manchester is good for nightlife but I'd definitely choose York/Warwick over it, especially as so many people have psy degrees, one from either York or Warwick would stand out. Take your time and relax, congrats for getting great offers.

Quick Reply

Latest