The Student Room Group

Does/can student finance cover deposits?

Hi, I'm currently awaiting replies from my chosen universities, but I noticed a couple ask for deposits for the halls of residence.

Does anyone know when these deposits should be made by? and does anyone know whether student finance can cover this as I don't have £220 spare at the minute? :s-smilie:

Original post by Fat Boy Kyle
Hi, I'm currently awaiting replies from my chosen universities, but I noticed a couple ask for deposits for the halls of residence.

Does anyone know when these deposits should be made by? and does anyone know whether student finance can cover this as I don't have £220 spare at the minute? :s-smilie:

The maintenance loan/grant that you get from Student Finance England can be used to cover whatever you choose, but you won't get any additional funds for them specifically to cover any deposit that you have to pay. As for the timing of deposits, that'll likely vary by university. I'd expect them to be sympathetic to the financial pressures on students, but the only way to be sure will be to ask them.
Reply 2
Deposits for halls are required before you move in to secure your booking. Unfortunately you won't get your student funding until the first full week of uni (after Freshers).
Reply 3

in most cases the deposit will need to be made when you recieve your accomodation offer, which will be about a week or so after results day. unfortunatley you will need to find this money yourself or borrow it from someone as student finance is not paid to you until near the end of freshers

You'll get your student overdraft in August, just dip into that.

You can always phone up the university though. Some universities will sympathise and let you postpone payment and others will tell you to pay or gtfo.
Reply 5
Cheers for the input :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending