The Student Room Group

How do you make crispy seaweed?

TSR, I need your help.
I love crispy seaweed, but my crispy seaweed doesn't turn out like the takeaway's at all, and I can't afford £2.80 every time I want some. :frown:

So I bought a huge pack of dried seaweed off the interwebs. Fried it in oil, sprinkled it with sugar. Didn't taste very nice at all. Then I rehydrated the seaweed, fried it in oil, sprinkled it with sugar. Still didn't taste right.

Then I looked up some recipes. Apparently in china and japan, crispy seaweed is made with seaweed, but here it's made with pak choi or cabbage???

So, 2 questions, helpful TSRians.
1) How do I make my crispy seaweed taste like the takeaways'?

2) If my seaweed is useless for making crispy seaweed, does anybody have a recipe I could use it in, which they've tried and tasted?
Reply 1
No idea how to cook it. But it's mostly cabbage.
Reply 2
try a ready washed and shredded pack of supermarket cabbage, lay in on a baking tray, put a little bit of olive oil/garlic olive oil on but not alot, and put it in the oven on a medium/high setting. Every three to four minutes take it out and stir it, and when it\s close to done add some honey. Then when it's crispy add a sprinkle of sugar and salt. That's what I do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Beccy21
try a ready washed and shredded pack of supermarket cabbage, lay in on a baking tray, put a little bit of olive oil/garlic olive oil on but not alot, and put it in the oven on a medium/high setting. Every three to four minutes take it out and stir it, and when it\s close to done add some honey. Then when it's crispy add a sprinkle of sugar and salt. That's what I do :smile:

Thankyou! I shall try it with the cabbage when the supermarket opens. :smile:
Reply 4
I use bok choy or pak choi for my crispy "seaweed", finely shredded, basically dry it in the oven at a low heat with plenty of salt, a little msg and some sugar.
Then deep fry in groundnut oil before serving.

I think it's better than english cabbage for it and easily as good as any takeaway.

To be honest though some seaweed is actually bloody nice if you live by a beach :wink:
Reply 5
I believe it's just deep fried, thinly-shredded cabbage. I think any cabbage would suffice tbh and as long as you've got enough oil in the fryer, it should be alright :smile:

I know what you mean though, the "seaweed" at chinese restaurants always seem to taste the best!
Reply 6
That'll be the MSG, you can buy it from any good asian deli, it's a key ingredient in a lot of chinese food.

It's like the chinese equivalent of salt, people don't realise the value of seasoning food correctly.
Reply 7
Original post by Megaross
That'll be the MSG, you can buy it from any good asian deli, it's a key ingredient in a lot of chinese food.

It's like the chinese equivalent of salt, people don't realise the value of seasoning food correctly.

<sigh> I'm going to have to go to the next town to get some MSG then, if there's no other way to get it tasting like a takeaway's.
Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 8
I believe they actually put something to do with scallops on top. Might be the orange/yellow looking stuff that often comes on top?
Original post by Piko_Piko
TSR, I need your help.
I love crispy seaweed, but my crispy seaweed doesn't turn out like the takeaway's at all, and I can't afford £2.80 every time I want some. :frown:

So I bought a huge pack of dried seaweed off the interwebs. Fried it in oil, sprinkled it with sugar. Didn't taste very nice at all. Then I rehydrated the seaweed, fried it in oil, sprinkled it with sugar. Still didn't taste right.

Then I looked up some recipes. Apparently in china and japan, crispy seaweed is made with seaweed, but here it's made with pak choi or cabbage???

2) If my seaweed is useless for making crispy seaweed, does anybody have a recipe I could use it in, which they've tried and tasted?

why did you use sugar?

the last time i tasted crispy seaweed from my takeaway, they don't taste particularly sugary. I think they used some sort of seasoning instead, not sugar
Reply 10
Original post by internet tough guy
why did you use sugar?

the last time i tasted crispy seaweed from my takeaway, they don't taste particularly sugary. I think they used some sort of seasoning instead, not sugar

Wherever I get it from it always tastes sweet and salty. :dontknow:
Well, I think we've established on this thread that I know next to nothing about cooking anyway. :redface:
Reply 11
TSR, I need your help.

Not sure for sure, but my friend cooks Chinese meals from scratch and always gets ingredients from Chinese supermarkets. They will most likely sell it there. I think you're doing it right, but in most takeaways they put sugar, SALT and an orange flavouring on it, but I forget what it is. They'll most likely sell it in the supermarket. I think you're doing it right, but the flavouring really does make it taste differently, so perhaps that's where you are going wrong.
Reply 12
i find the sainsbury's one, dry-fried in a shallow pan turns out nice, without having to go to mass effort.
Reply 13
Wherever I get it from it always tastes sweet and salty. :dontknow:
Well, I think we've established on this thread that I know next to nothing about cooking anyway. :redface:

As for the seaweed you've got, if it's large sheets of seaweed then make some sushi with it. If it came as shredded seaweed, you can use it as topping in miso soup. :smile:

Deep fried seaweed is delicious as a snack too!

And I totally agree that the chinese takeaway seaweed is SOOO good but it's so hard to justify paying the same for it as every other starter!
Reply 14
Get a chinese or spring cabbage, roll the leaves together and chop really thinly, put it in the oven to dry it out completely but dont cook it, then deep fry it for about 45 seconds, and a generous pinch of salt and sugar and for a more realistic "seaweed" add a little pork floss from your local asian supermarket, even without the pork floss i find this recipe is the closest thing to buying it from your supermarket.
Reply 15
I use curly cale... Spread over a baking trey, rub with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt, spinkle with brown sugar and bake for 3-4 minutes on about 160-180 depending how ur oven is ( mines fan assisted I use 160). The cale will go super crispy so u can literally use ur fingers to rub it an it will look like regular seaweed then spinkly a lil more brown sugar on for that sweetness, pretty good for me :smile:
Reply 16
Just deep fry it from dry. It tasted good from the takeaway probably because they sprinkled salt and MSG on it :P
stick the seaweed with spring roll wrapper using egg white..and fry
Reply 18
Green cabbage cut fine and dried fried in a wok in hot oil then add salt and sugar and a sprinkling of Chinese 5 spice .
Drain on kitchen roll .
Yummy

Quick Reply

Latest