Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stockholm School of Economics MSc Finance applicants

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slct)
    Are you going to start looking for accommodation as well?
    Somehow their 3500SEK per 8 squares meters in Johannesgatan seems a lil bit overpriced
    That what you need to expect at least my friend! I am from Sweden and live in Malmö which is only 3rd largest city. Still students here can pay 3000-5000 SEK for just a room or a small apartment. I guess that Stockholm is even pricier due to the fact that it is a larger city and I know that their housing prices are highest in Sweden.

Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baxus2010)
    That what you need to expect at least my friend! I am from Sweden and live in Malmö which is only 3rd largest city. Still students here can pay 3000-5000 SEK for just a room or a small apartment. I guess that Stockholm is even pricier due to the fact that it is a larger city and I know that their housing prices are highest in Sweden.

Good luck!
    thanks! that was the official offering from SSE for their cheapest housing )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll have time to look for private housing but I might try to sneak a look at the SSE housing to see what it's like.

I've already put down my choices for SSE housing, but I think maybe once living in Stockholm it will be possible to find an alternative and move into something cheaper.

Anyone got any suggestions for how I should spend my two days?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm an italian student and i'm considering applying for this program next year. how quant do you think is it, if compared as example to the msc at imperial? i'm really looking for a program with a strong quantitive focus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, you don't want to go to Bocconi or what? It's as quantitative as you can get from a straight MSc Finance course, and one of the few with a Quantitative Finance specialization. Of course you can do a degree in Quantitative Finance, not just a specialization, but this might limit your employment options a bit. E.g. if you decide to apply for M&A someone might ask why did you take so many courses which teach you how to price complex derivatives, etc. On the other hand, if you do the straight Finance degree you can simply omit the specialization in Quantitative Finance from your CV. I love the SSE curriculum, in fact I chose it over Bocconi for the exact reason you should consider Bocconi more carefully - Bocconi was too quantitative for my taste. I don't think there is a more quantitative program in Europe labelled as a straight MSc Finance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lego)
    Uhm, you don't want to go to Bocconi or what? It's as quantitative as you can get from a straight MSc Finance course, and one of the few with a Quantitative Finance specialization. Of course you can do a degree in Quantitative Finance, not just a specialization, but this might limit your employment options a bit. E.g. if you decide to apply for M&A someone might ask why did you take so many courses which teach you how to price complex derivatives, etc. On the other hand, if you do the straight Finance degree you can simply omit the specialization in Quantitative Finance from your CV. I love the SSE curriculum, in fact I chose it over Bocconi for the exact reason you should consider Bocconi more carefully - Bocconi was too quantitative for my taste. I don't think there is a more quantitative program in Europe labelled as a straight MSc Finance.
    i know the msc in finance at bocconi is one of the best in europe and maybe its curriculum is exaclty what i'm looking for, but i would strongly prefer to pursue my postgrad studies abroad. i think that i have to consider how this experience could effect on me as a man rather than a student. are you actually a student at sse? i simply love the corporate finance specialitation, M&A is my final goal. i don't want to pursue a degree in quantitative finance, i'm just looking for a program with a great attention on corporate finance but that at the same time could give me a strong mathematical knowledge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see. You are certainly right that studying abroad has a lot of benefits and changes your character for the better. In fact, I am from country A, I did my BSc in country B with an exchange in country C, and now it's quite possible that I'll do my MSc in country D, going on an exchange again in country E. It's awesome
    I'm not a student at SSE... yet. I might be in about 2 months depending on the results from my final exams.
    My advice is to carefully examine the curriculum of all the programs you are interested in, because there is a bit of a trade-off between your two goals - focus on corporate finance / quantitative program - and decide what will be the best option for you. In my opinion, a good two-year program in continental Europe (so basically SSE/HSG as you don't want to go to Bocconi) might suit you better than the programs in the UK. As you know, in the UK, MSc Finance are one-year generalist programs, so they are quite short and don't require prior finance knowledge, and thus it will be harder for you to fulfil both of your goals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slct)
    what I heard is that for those who got 99/99 it basically means admission; others on the waiting list have lower scores;
    one thing to mention is that I have also applied to the MSc in Accounting and Financial Management and MSc Management; both of these are still In-Progress. Only the Finance option has changed.
    and with 760 and 680 it's easy to believe about getting the offer
    Hi, slct! You said that you had applied to three different programs of SSE. My question is how to write a single statement of purpose for the three programs? Because we are only allowed to submit one statement of purpose, aren't we? This is bothering me for a long time, and I would appreciate it if you could answer my question.:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yizhout)
    Hi, slct! You said that you had applied to three different programs of SSE. My question is how to write a single statement of purpose for the three programs? Because we are only allowed to submit one statement of purpose, aren't we? This is bothering me for a long time, and I would appreciate it if you could answer my question.:confused:
    I wrote a statement for each program basically it was the same statement, but the ending paragraph was different for each of the three programs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slct)
    I wrote a statement for each program basically it was the same statement, but the ending paragraph was different for each of the three programs
    So it is ok to submit more than one statement? Cuz I learned from the website that we are only required to submit one set of documents...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yizhout)
    So it is ok to submit more than one statement? Cuz I learned from the website that we are only required to submit one set of documents...
    I submitted 3 statements and there was no problem, although I got admitted to my first-choice option
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I wanted to apply for Finance in SSE. Do they only accept GMAT scores for it or is GRE acceptable ?
    If Yes, what is the average GRE and TOEFL score they accept?
    Any thoughts!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rs18)
    Hi,
    I wanted to apply for Finance in SSE. Do they only accept GMAT scores for it or is GRE acceptable ?
    If Yes, what is the average GRE and TOEFL score they accept?
    Any thoughts!!
    Yes, they accept GRE, unfortunately I don't know anything about the average score. You only need to have >600 on TOEFL. If its less that 600 they wont accept you, if you have a lot more, fun for you but it wont give you an advantage. Therefore the average TOEFL score doesn't really matter since they only care about if you have over 600 or not (i.e if you can speak english or not).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hei, guys
    i created a new thread for applicants to SSE 2013. those who are interested in SSE lets discuss our profiles.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 8, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.