The Student Room Group

BSc Applied Science

So is applied science considered a 'proper' science subject???

How and what do you think of this subject????

I want to go on to do Masters in Forensic science, and do a pure science based undergrad...............my uni (London South Bank)only does the following science programmes;

BSc Applied Science
BSc Bioscience
Bsc Bioscience (Biochemistery)
BSc Bioscience (Human Biology)
BSc Bioscience (Microbiology)

Which science subject is considered a 'pure science' subject???
Reply 1
BBGirl
So is applied science considered a 'proper' science subject???

How and what do you think of this subject????

I want to go on to do Masters in Forensic science, and do a pure science based undergrad...............my uni (London South Bank)only does the following science programmes;

BSc Applied Science
BSc Bioscience
Bsc Bioscience (Biochemistery)
BSc Bioscience (Human Biology)
BSc Bioscience (Microbiology)

Which science subject is considered a 'pure science' subject???
none of the above would be considered a pure science, they are chemistry, physics, and biology
Reply 2
Although I think the biochemistry option may be the most respected for going into forensic science. To become a forensic scientist you need to be familiar with both chemical and biological procedures so a degree with biochemistry does sound ideal.

-42-
Don't do applied science! Please!
Reply 4
Give me reasons Chemistboy!

I teetering towards human biology or biochemistry.
Reply 5
Biochemistry isn't an 'applied science' is it?
BBGirl
Give me reasons Chemistboy!

I teetering towards human biology or biochemistry.

It isn't anything, that's why. Applied science is just a hodge-podge of this and that, jack of all trades and master of none.
Reply 7
I was told that the best degree you can get for later going into forensic science is a Chemistry degree. Not 100% sure on that since it was a word of mouth thing, but makes sense.

I agree with Chemistboy, don't choose applied science, no matter what you want to do afterwards!
nikk
I was told that the best degree you can get for later going into forensic science is a Chemistry degree. Not 100% sure on that since it was a word of mouth thing, but makes sense.

Forensic science is actually split into its parent disciplines, so there are forensic chemists, biologisst and even physicists.

Latest

Trending

Trending