The Student Room Group

What would you like to see happen to the Millenium Dome?

Leading on from a discussion about wasting land and how skyscrapers are far more efficient;

What would you like to see happen to the Millenium Dome? Its been sat there for over 4 years now with very little purpose except appear on the opening title sequence for Eastenders.
Weighing in at about £800Million, it's possibly one of the biggest white elephants in history.

Theres talk they're going to convert it into a "Multipurpose arena" ready for the 2012 Olympics, but - again, at what cost?

The Dome (Now called the O2 ^o)) is one of the most inefficient uses of land I've ever seen. Costing an estimated £1m a month to maintain, should we really be keeping this eyesore alive, or do you think it's time to pop the big top and make way for something people actually want? What would you build in it's place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think some footbal pitches like they did for the Nike Tournaments a few years back. They were wicked! But I think like a sports centre is the best bet, although it will be very expensive.
Reply 2
I think the Dome should stay, we just need to find a use for it. It is a great symbol of prosperity and engineering creativity for the new millennium. Did the French deconstruct the Eiffel Tower after the Great World Fair just because they had no use for it? Look at it now 100 years on.

Keep the Dome.
Reply 3
Should be turned into a perminant music arena. Would be awesome to hold concerts there, having the stage in the center, and fans surrounding the entire stage.

Would make the most of the Jubilee Line too.
Reply 4
It's already been decided...

The o2 Dome
Reply 5
I thought it had been taken down a few years ago, I don't think I was actually told that but I just assumed it happened because it didn't appear to have any purpose.
I would like it to be one giant ice rink!...or a indoor swimming pool with crazy flumes etc...or a sports centre...or a gig venue....or just a giant ball pit (parents can come, throw their kids in and lose them for hours! - optional cafe)
Reply 7
'Weighing in at about £800Million, it's possibly one of the biggest white elephants in history.'

eh?

ah who cares.. it was a waste of money anyway - they should knock it down and errect a statue of uhm... a dog in it's place.
Reply 8
I think that they should use it in some way for the olympics, perhaps make it into a swimming pool or an aerodrome. Perhaps a place for gymnastics?
Reply 9
Elipsis
I think that they should use it in some way for the olympics, perhaps make it into a swimming pool or an aerodrome. Perhaps a place for gymnastics?

It is going to be used for gymnastics, also basketball - check the link earlier in this thread.
Mad Vlad
Leading on from a discussion about wasting land and how skyscrapers are far more efficient;

What would you like to see happen to the Millenium Dome? Its been sat there for over 4 years now with very little purpose except appear on the opening title sequence for Eastenders.
Weighing in at about £800Million, it's possibly one of the biggest white elephants in history.

Theres talk they're going to convert it into a "Multipurpose arena" ready for the 2012 Olympics, but - again, at what cost?

The Dome (Now called the O2 ^o)) is one of the most inefficient uses of land I've ever seen. Costing an estimated £1m a month to maintain, should we really be keeping this eyesore alive, or do you think it's time to pop the big top and make way for something people actually want? What would you build in it's place?

I think the ministry of sound should buy it for the only purpose of holding a big event there every new years eve from this year forward... great times.
I remember visiting the dome in 2000 when it had the 'millennium experience' thing going on... that was quite crap.
i think it should be used for the 2012 olympics and then.........turned into a huuugggeee nightclub/entertainment thingy :biggrin:
crushed down to the ground along with tony blair obviously that would be a big waste so maybe it should be donated to a charity or something nothing to do with Africa or any illegal immigrants :mad:
i can see it from my window....
Reply 15
Turn it into a skate park - that would be awesome.
i agree with el scotto, the ministry of sound will use it to its full advantage. it'd be great on new years eve! or you could turn it upside down and use it as a massive fish bowl with loadsa straws in and vodka!
Reply 17
a huge place where all the homeless can go and live. They could instantly clear up londons tramp problem. Or a hospital.
Reply 18
Live music venue or giant indoor rollercoaster. Woo. Perhaps both. Watching a band perform live while you're riding on a rollercoaster.
Reply 19
a huge indoor snow dome, like.....tamworth snowdome..but massive! and loads of jumps, halfpipes etc :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending