The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gnostic
Claire, is it true that you're going to pick Durham over LSE?

If i am lucky enough to get a place there, i certainly will be.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
gemma1811
Just to make it clear to people Sydney and Beatrice Webb founded LSE, they were never students there, and Sydney was a professor at LSE - Hewins also neglects to mention the significance of the Webbs in Womens history (however I know that is not his favourite subject) - Sydney was also an active member of the Independent Labour Party when it was first established

You just don't get it Gemma-we're not restricting our name hunt to former students, as it happens tutors often learn far more from an academy they teach at than students who just spend a year or two there, and I don't see how being a founder of LSE discounts you from association with it...in any case I don't want to go into LSE too much here-this is about Durham, I want the damn names, gimme some names, in fact I have every confidence that people will eventually come up with some to save me the trouble of having to dig them out myself...Nor do I care about the ideological slant of the relevant scholars, at least not in this context..

Save the NHS some money, become a feminist, it's cheaper than the cost of a lobotomy....
Reply 22
Gnostic
Claire, I like castles too, but I would still pick a university with a better reputation.

I didn't apply to University College actually. Anyway, if i get a place i will be accepting it because the History department has an excellent course that suits my needs perfectly, i think i'll be happiest in a traditional atmosphere and will enjoy it being predominantly undergraduate. Secondly, my boyfriend has been quite miserable at university in London and consequently, i'd rather not go there unless I absolutely have to (i.e. I don't get a place/the grades to go to Durham)
Reply 23
W.A.S Hewins
You just don't get it Gemma-we're not restricting our name hunt to former students, as it happens tutors often learn far more from an academy they teach at than students who just spend a year or two there, and I don't see how being a founder of LSE discounts you from association with it...in any case I don't want to go into LSE too much here-this is about Durham, I want the damn names, gimme some names, in fact I have every confidence that people will eventually come up with some to save me the trouble of having to dig them out myself...Nor do I care about the ideological slant of the relevant scholars, at least not in this context..

Save the NHS some money, become a feminist, it's cheaper than the cost of a lobotomy....

I'm not discounting them at all! The Webbs are important figures in history! I agree that sometimes the tutors are more important and learn more, but your thread sorta suggested Alumni.

and, btw, f**k off and get a life, just because you are anti-women, doesn't mean i should become a feminist!
Reply 24
W.A.S Hewins
Couple of points here: LSE's stated ABB is put as a typical offer-the students who get in will often achieve more than this, especially given the competition for places, and I would expect that the average is much higher, as the overall average is pretty close to 29 points from 30-also for some economic history courses they expect A Level maths.

Are you suggesting LSE only pick people who they know will achieve the best grades? If you are, in my school there were 5 people applying to do History at LSE, two (or three?) of these were rejected, one of whom had never seen a B before in her life and is so good at History it is untrue. Instead, they took me who, even though i am predicted AAA, i got ABB at AS, including a B in History. So, if you are suggesting what I think you are, you are wrong.
Reply 25
gemma1811
I'm not discounting them at all! The Webbs are important figures in history! I agree that sometimes the tutors are more important and learn more, but your thread sorta suggested Alumni.

and, btw, f**k off and get a life, just because you are anti-women, doesn't mean i should become a feminist!

Yeah!!!

Claire, go where you'll be happiest - they both have excellent reputations, and are top centres of teaching and research.
Reply 26
jammyd
Yeah!!!

Claire, go where you'll be happiest - they both have excellent reputations, and are top centres of teaching and research.

:-) thanks, someone agrees with me!
Reply 27
jammyd
Yeah!!!

Well said!!!! We do have to spend at least 3 years at this place remember!!
Reply 28
gemma1811

Now you really are talking like a feminazi...

Feminism: the ideology of the fishwife..
Reply 29
W.A.S Hewins
Now you really are talking like a feminazi...

Feminism: the ideology of the fishwife..

Oh yes, oh course I am - didn't you know i'm a feminism in denial! Oh sorry, I think I am getting confused here, maybe that is you!?!?!?!?!?!?
Reply 30
gemma1811
Oh yes, oh course I am - didn't you know i'm a feminism in denial! Oh sorry, I think I am getting confused here, maybe that is you!?!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe you'd better calm down, take a tablet or get some new batteries for your vibrator or something: bluster and swearing won't get you anywhere, on the other hand it's quite funny to see you get all hot and bothered
W.A.S Hewins
Can anybody name a famous or influential Durham academic?

nope. do they exist?...
Reply 32
W.A.S Hewins
Maybe you'd better calm down, take a tablet or get some new batteries for your vibrator or something: bluster and swearing won't get you anywhere, on the other hand it's quite funny to see you get all hot and bothered

Well my batteries for my vibrator are fully charged, and I dont need a chill pill! I'm not getting all hot and bothered over you! Trust me you aren't worth it, just like some other guys I know! Oh are your batteries needing a change then, was that a reminder to yourself?
Reply 33
claire1985
Are you suggesting LSE only pick people who they know will achieve the best grades? If you are, in my school there were 5 people applying to do History at LSE, two (or three?) of these were rejected, one of whom had never seen a B before in her life and is so good at History it is untrue. Instead, they took me who, even though i am predicted AAA, i got ABB at AS, including a B in History. So, if you are suggesting what I think you are, you are wrong.

Sure, they'll let some people in who have got lower grades, so what? The average remains much higher-and for God's sake try not to lower the tone of the place when you do turn up in Houghton Street - btw there's a good book for people like you: 'Critical Thinking for Students' (Roy Van Den Brink-Budgen, 'How to Books', 2000)

How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb? Two-one to electrocute herself and another to blame it on men..
Reply 34
gemma1811
Well my batteries for my vibrator are fully charged, and I dont need a chill pill! I'm not getting all hot and bothered over you! Trust me you aren't worth it, just like some other guys I know! Oh are your batteries needing a change then, was that a reminder to yourself?

Ooh, temper temper...
Reply 35
W.A.S Hewins
Ooh, temper temper...

Thats no temper darling! All I did was answer your questions/comments!
Reply 36
gemma1811
Thats no temper darling! All I did was answer your questions/comments!

What about the effing and blinding (or maybe that's something to do with a woman's right to choose...the righteous anger of a victim who finally stands up against her hateful male oppressors)?

There's a famous American academic, Camille Paglia, who reckons she's a feminist, even though she regularly annoys the sisters with her independent comments.. She once said; 'If history had been left to women, we'd all still be living in mud huts..'

Reading your ejaculations I can see what she means....
Reply 37
W.A.S Hewins
What about the effing and blinding (or maybe that's something to do with a woman's right to choose...the righteous anger of a victim who finally stands up against her hateful male oppressors)?

There's a famous American academic, Camille Paglia, who reckons she's a feminist, even though she regularly annoys the sisters with her independent comments.. She once said; 'If history had been left to women, we'd all still be living in mud huts..'

Reading your 'thoughts' I can see what she means....

I did not swear in that post at all! Maybe you need your eyes testing?!? Well not being a feminist I have no idea who that women is (maybe i'll ask Claire about her, but being a doormat and all she probably wont know if she I just copying everyone else!) Reading my 'thoughts' hey?!?!? Wow! I'm impressed, you can read someones thought over the internet? So then, what are my thoughts now mr clever cloggs????
Reply 38
Gnostic
Since words are the manifestations of thoughts, and these internet boards have words, one can read one's thoughts as codified here.

Maybe that is the case - but then my thoughts still are not following the path of that American 'feminist'
Reply 39
claire1985
I didn't apply to University College actually. Anyway, if i get a place i will be accepting it because the History department has an excellent course that suits my needs perfectly, i think i'll be happiest in a traditional atmosphere and will enjoy it being predominantly undergraduate. Secondly, my boyfriend has been quite miserable at university in London and consequently, i'd rather not go there unless I absolutely have to (i.e. I don't get a place/the grades to go to Durham)

Durham strikes me as a fairly nice place to go to university. Why anybody would want to go to LSE is beyond me. Only a lunatic would pick their university on the basis of its famous graduates, rather than whether they would enjoy their time there.

Latest