The Student Room Group

do I stand a chance at oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well, if you get top grades why not see and find out? Just spread your five university choices out reasonably because English is very competitive everywhere in the Russell Group.

For English at Oxford, you will have to sit the ELAT. That gives you an additional chance to prove yourself.
Your best chance for sitting in an Oxbridge lecture hall is here: http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/courses/undergradstudy/tripos/contentsubjects/englishdrama.html
Reply 22
To be honest, no not really.

Having said that, I do actually know someone here (at oxford) who got pretty poor AS's by oxbridge standard (i think something like ABCC/BBCC) and obviously still got in so its possible but realistically, why would you even get an interview when the majority of people will have better GCSE's and 4-5 A's at AS first time around?
I would say go for it, but don't get all your hopes into Oxbridge. I think that if there was a reason as to why you got BCD first time around and the second time you get say A*A*A* (hypothetically) and perform well at interview, then you are in for a good chance. But also remember that there are some brilliant universities out there and if you don't get in for undergrad, there's always postgrad if you are still interested :yep:
Reply 24
Unlikely, lots of people are trying to sugurcoat it but the unfortunate truth is unless you have a very good reason for getting those grades you won't get in. People get rejected with 4A's after all.
I would say probably not, considering that English is one of the most competitive subjects and there's only so much that ELAT/interview/written work can compensate for grades like yours, which are significantly below the average for applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending