The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews Offers 2012 ( got an offer and want to chat )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Scharre
Why would you choose Bristol over STA?! :P

Because Bristol is also really good and i like the city loads and there's loads to do there etc.
But i think i'm going to go to STA- the course structure and stuff
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 81
Original post by fledger
Hi there! I have offers from St Andrews and Bristol too! Went to go and visit St Andrews yesterday and absolutely loved it, but i said that about Bristol when i visited as well. I am pretty sure i have chosen St Andrews now. Here are my reasons...feel free to dispute any of them as i too am trying to clarify and confirm my decision!

1. The 4 year scottish course, particularly at St Andrews is so much better: it is flexible and i heard that 40% of students graduate with a different degree to what they applied for. This really appeals to me and also the first 2 years don't count to your degree. One of the History lecturers told me the first year is pretty easy and this way you can really amerce yourself in university life.
2. St Andrews is Special: I am from London and know so many people going to Bristol. To get an offer from St Andrews is such a privilege - it seems stupid to turn it down. St Andrews is not the real world - it is far from it but the way i see it is that there is plenty of time for the real world after university. The only down side i can think of to St Andrews is the small size, but even that has its advantages as it gives it more of a special community feel - something you wouldn't get at a city university like Bristol but if it is something you like then move to a big city after uni! The traditions and the exclusivity of St Andrews in that it is a small university makes it a special place - a once in a lifetime opportunity to study there!
3. The international reputation and student body i see as a real plus. Of course St Andrews is not the real world but being surrounded form people around the world must be pretty cool where as at Bristol this would not be the case.
4. It consistently does well with student satisfaction, winning almost every year. The way i see it is: how can you not go if you are almost guaranteed to have a great time?!

Anyway, i hoped this helped! Please anyone feel free to dispute this or add to the list as i too have not yet confirmed my place and am trying to figure things out! I realise i am not a student and my opinion is only based on what i saw from my open day!

I agree with you on the first one! I love the course structure
I'm also from London but weirdly I think there are more people with offers from STA than Bristol!!! or about the same i'm not sure- no one in my year doing my course at bristol, one person at sta. I also really like the traditions of St andrews

I think it's going to be STA though!
Reply 82
Hey guys,
I'm still making up my mind as to whether to firm St Andrews...I was wondering, have I left it too late? I'm not totally clear on how the allocating accommodation process works ( and if it follows a 'first-come-first-served' principle :s-smilie:) - how likely do you recon it would be at this point that I'll get the room that I want? I'd be applying for catered, more 'traditional' halls and willing to share a room.
Any advice appreciated! x
Reply 83
Original post by fledger
Hi there! I have offers from St Andrews and Bristol too! Went to go and visit St Andrews yesterday and absolutely loved it, but i said that about Bristol when i visited as well. I am pretty sure i have chosen St Andrews now. Here are my reasons...feel free to dispute any of them as i too am trying to clarify and confirm my decision!

1. The 4 year scottish course, particularly at St Andrews is so much better: it is flexible and i heard that 40% of students graduate with a different degree to what they applied for. This really appeals to me and also the first 2 years don't count to your degree. One of the History lecturers told me the first year is pretty easy and this way you can really amerce yourself in university life.
2. St Andrews is Special: I am from London and know so many people going to Bristol. To get an offer from St Andrews is such a privilege - it seems stupid to turn it down. St Andrews is not the real world - it is far from it but the way i see it is that there is plenty of time for the real world after university. The only down side i can think of to St Andrews is the small size, but even that has its advantages as it gives it more of a special community feel - something you wouldn't get at a city university like Bristol but if it is something you like then move to a big city after uni! The traditions and the exclusivity of St Andrews in that it is a small university makes it a special place - a once in a lifetime opportunity to study there!
3. The international reputation and student body i see as a real plus. Of course St Andrews is not the real world but being surrounded form people around the world must be pretty cool where as at Bristol this would not be the case.
4. It consistently does well with student satisfaction, winning almost every year. The way i see it is: how can you not go if you are almost guaranteed to have a great time?!

Anyway, i hoped this helped! Please anyone feel free to dispute this or add to the list as i too have not yet confirmed my place and am trying to figure things out! I realise i am not a student and my opinion is only based on what i saw from my open day!

Hi there :smile: This might sound very weird but is your name by any chance Jess?
Hi, I've put down St. Andrews as my Insurance offer for Biochemistry. :smile:

Anyone else for Biochem or for one of the other School of Biology programs?
Shouldnt there be a group on facebook for 2012? :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by neverlander¾
Shouldnt there be a group on facebook for 2012? :smile:

There are two of them. The first is for applicants - http://www.facebook.com/groups/stan2012app/
and the second is called "University of St Andrews Class 2016" - http://www.facebook.com/groups/162360973830398/members/
Reply 87
Original post by NeuralGroove

Hey there! Just firmed Molecular Biology :smile: Can I ask what you're first choice is?
Original post by mezlande
Hey there! Just firmed Molecular Biology :smile: Can I ask what you're first choice is?

My firm is UCL. I don't really prefer one over the other, it was only the grade difference that decided for me.

Where did you put down as an insurance? I didn't think there were that many other places that did Mol. Biol?
Original post by nedyalkova
There are two of them. The first is for applicants - http://www.facebook.com/groups/stan2012app/
and the second is called "University of St Andrews Class 2016" - http://www.facebook.com/groups/162360973830398/members/

Thaaank you!
Reply 90
My firm is UCL. I don't really prefer one over the other, it was only the grade difference that decided for me.

Where did you put down as an insurance? I didn't think there were that many other places that did Mol. Biol?

There really aren't! And I really wanted a flexible degree structure so that narrowed it down again too. I've got Glasgow as an insurance which I'd be extremely happy at too, but yeah, it's got lower grade requirements. I thought STA and Glasgow we're extremes but there's not place smaller than STA and bigger then London! Congrats on UCL :P If you're biochem you must have had Bath as one of your other choices right..?
There really aren't! And I really wanted a flexible degree structure so that narrowed it down again too. I've got Glasgow as an insurance which I'd be extremely happy at too, but yeah, it's got lower grade requirements. I thought STA and Glasgow we're extremes but there's not place smaller than STA and bigger then London! Congrats on UCL :P If you're biochem you must have had Bath as one of your other choices right..?

Ah, well done! Are you a Scottish applicant by any chance?
I applied for a bit of a mix of courses, Neuroscience at UCL, Bristol and King's, then Biochem at STA and Edinburgh. Where else did you apply?
Reply 92
Ah, well done! Are you a Scottish applicant by any chance?
I applied for a bit of a mix of courses, Neuroscience at UCL, Bristol and King's, then Biochem at STA and Edinburgh. Where else did you apply?
Nah, I'm Welsh.. It just so happens that Scotland has all the great courses for what want to do, oh and mountains :P Molecular Biology at STA, Aberdeen and Dundee, Molecular and Cellular Biol at Bath and Glasgow. You Scottish then? I wish I wanted to apply to Wales, they give you grants for everything if you stay :/
I really like neuroscience, I suppose even if you did go to STA you'd have the chance to do neuro too, so your decisions are pritty much win-win :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Nah, I'm Welsh.. It just so happens that Scotland has all the great courses for what want to do, oh and mountains :P Molecular Biology at STA, Aberdeen and Dundee, Molecular and Cellular Biol at Bath and Glasgow. You Scottish then? I wish I wanted to apply to Wales, they give you grants for everything if you stay :/
I really like neuroscience, I suppose even if you did go to STA you'd have the chance to do neuro too, so your decisions are pritty much win-win :smile:

I'm actually from Oxford as it happens, just happy to go anywhere away from here for now. Have you been up to St. Andrews? I was an idiot and didn't see it before I firmed it.
Reply 94
I'm actually from Oxford as it happens, just happy to go anywhere away from here for now. Have you been up to St. Andrews? I was an idiot and didn't see it before I firmed it.

Yeah, some mates from Banbury have a similar attitude :P Actually I was the same, so when I happened to be in England last weekend, I made a last minute detour up north (and the uni was happy with it, to be fair). Don't worry, it really is amazing! Ok, it's no city, but it's probably the most socially active town I've ever been to ... everyone seemed lovely, bit like a distopian novel (probably all the american accents), but lots to do. I also met with head of Biology addmissions and stuff so if you want to know anything, let me know.
Yeah, some mates from Banbury have a similar attitude :P Actually I was the same, so when I happened to be in England last weekend, I made a last minute detour up north (and the uni was happy with it, to be fair). Don't worry, it really is amazing! Ok, it's no city, but it's probably the most socially active town I've ever been to ... everyone seemed lovely, bit like a distopian novel (probably all the american accents), but lots to do. I also met with head of Biology addmissions and stuff so if you want to know anything, let me know.

Ah, thanks, that's really interesting, I'm glad you liked it. Any fun tips from Bio admissions?
Reply 96
Original post by Usernameitis
Is anyone besides me paranoid about not meeting the conditional offer?

this is a bit late but YES!!!! hahaha I have already calculated my points (I take the IB) and I'm two points below my offer... I don't know what to do... what have you applied for?
Reply 97
Held an unconditional offer but have decided against choosing St Andrews....bottom line was the flexible degree structure just wasn't for me!
:frown:
Original post by hr30
Held an unconditional offer but have decided against choosing St Andrews....bottom line was the flexible degree structure just wasn't for me!
:frown:

Blasphemy!

Yeah, unconditional for Biochem, I firmed it so I'll definitely be there unless some tragic accident befalls me. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending