The Student Room Group

Applying for engineering as a mature student

at 27, I am going to apply for mechanical engineering at university.

Other than voluntary work within engineering companies, what preparations should be made to support my application as a mature student?

Are 10 year old qualifications are valued at all?
Your best bet would be to contact the Universities you are interested in directly and ask what they'd like to see in terms of qualifications etc.

Have you thought of doing a course with a Foundation year?
Reply 2
This 2010 thread about access to engineering might be useful.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1315119
Reply 3
Hi i'm 28 and I'm currently doing a engineering foundation year, and before that I did an access course.

I think recent academic experience is a must as its quite challenging, you don't realise how hard it is to get back into studying until you try, and I would say that thought is echoed by all the mature students on my course. Maths in particular is quite challenging after a 10 year break.

I definitely recommend doing a foundation year and if you have at least a B in GCSE or equivalent maths you shouldn't have a problem getting on to one (even if like me you got it 10 years previously) Being a mature student is an advantage in those respects. But if your maths is still good (A-level good), then showing evidence of that will probably help with first year entry.
Reply 4
Original post by Serenb
Hi i'm 28 and I'm currently doing a engineering foundation year, and before that I did an access course.

I think recent academic experience is a must as its quite challenging, you don't realise how hard it is to get back into studying until you try, and I would say that thought is echoed by all the mature students on my course. Maths in particular is quite challenging after a 10 year break.

I definitely recommend doing a foundation year and if you have at least a B in GCSE or equivalent maths you shouldn't have a problem getting on to one (even if like me you got it 10 years previously) Being a mature student is an advantage in those respects. But if your maths is still good (A-level good), then showing evidence of that will probably help with first year entry.

Sorry to hijack, but I would love to know where you are studying and how you are finding the foundation year?

I'm currently in year one of a degree which I'm not enjoying and although my marks are good I'm not sure I can stand another 2.5 years of it! I've been offered a place to study a science & engineering foundation year which would lead on to Electronic & Computer Systems Engineering BEng if I pass.

My maths background is only what I got from an Access to HE course (GCSE grade C or there abouts) and I have no science or physics background. So I feel it is a bit of a gamble to change as if I failed the FY I would have no degree, where as I can clearly cope and graduate with my current (dull) course.

What was your background before starting the FY and how are you finding the level of work required?
Original post by colinwaddell
at 27, I am going to apply for mechanical engineering at university.

Other than voluntary work within engineering companies, what preparations should be made to support my application as a mature student?

Are 10 year old qualifications are valued at all?

My O and A levels are 30 years old and my last OU module 20 years old and yes they were valued, 4 of the Unis only asked for evidence of the OU, one Uni wanted evidence of the OU and A levels, they would of liked the O level certificates but I have not seen them since my parents moved house in 1981 and they were fine with that.

My wifes O levels are 30 years old and her last OU module 23 years old her Unis only asked for evidence of the OU modules.

All the best.
Reply 6
Original post by BigV
Sorry to hijack, but I would love to know where you are studying and how you are finding the foundation year?

I'm currently in year one of a degree which I'm not enjoying and although my marks are good I'm not sure I can stand another 2.5 years of it! I've been offered a place to study a science & engineering foundation year which would lead on to Electronic & Computer Systems Engineering BEng if I pass.

My maths background is only what I got from an Access to HE course (GCSE grade C or there abouts) and I have no science or physics background. So I feel it is a bit of a gamble to change as if I failed the FY I would have no degree, where as I can clearly cope and graduate with my current (dull) course.

What was your background before starting the FY and how are you finding the level of work required?

Hi, i'm studying at University of Sheffield. I did a Science Access course before that, but that only included chemistry and biology and even those weren't to A level standard. I did AS level equivalent maths at school, but honestly I couldn't remember any of it before I started.

In FY if you work hard, don't go out too much and study hard you will pass easily. I have a part time job and I manage. I have found physics the most challenging because I had no prior knowledge, but at the moment its my best subject because I spend the most time on it.

I would definitely recommend going for it, the chemistry(not all uni's do chemistry) and physics are interesting. Although the basics can get tedious but it will get more interesting when we go into first year. You will need to like and have some ability in maths though because its heavily maths based, but don't let inexperience put you off because they did start at quite a low level on my course.

If you want I can send you some links to sites i've found useful for coursework and revision. You can pick up some background knowledge before you start or see if its interesting enough to study.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
A qualification is a qualification to be honest.

However I was in your boat just over 12 months ago. I am doing the foundation year at Manchester right now.

I would set realistic expectations for your self and see where you get with an application.

However nothing beats just picking up the phone and asking to speak to the admissions tutor of any course that you are interested in.
Reply 8
One thing to think about is the reaction of employers to mature engineering students. The year I graduated the success rate of mature students getting into an engineering job was 0%. I never did get into engineering - wish I'd known about that earlier. One of the mature students was easily the best engineer on the course, and he didn't get a job. All the females some of whom were very poor, and none of whom was outstanding sailed into jobs in high profile engineering companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending