The Student Room Group

Laser eye surgery?

Hey all,

I've been wearing glasses for 6 years and I really don't want to wear them anymore. I have contacts which I wear everyday but I think they are drying my eyes out, which isn't going to be good for my eyes in the long term.

I have been thinking about gettting laser eye surgery for some time now, just wondering if anyone here has had it? Or if anyone has any adcvice for me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One of the most common complications of the surgery is dry eyes...
Anyways, there are good droops for that so if contacts aren't really bothering you and you see well with them the surgery doesn't worth it.
that reminds me of Final Destination 5 :eek3:
Original post by Claudine
Hey all,

I've been wearing glasses for 6 years and I really don't want to wear them anymore. I have contacts which I wear everyday but I think they are drying my eyes out, which isn't going to be good for my eyes in the long term.

I have been thinking about gettting laser eye surgery for some time now, just wondering if anyone here has had it? Or if anyone has any adcvice for me?

Original post by desy.kris
that reminds me of Final Destination 5 :eek3:

Well my cousin who is a dentist had it and she said it was soooo painful! :eek: she even sent her 3 little childeren to her mother-in-law because she was in soo much pain!

ahhaha and yeah, just becareful that it doesnt go the way it did in final destination..... :biggrin:
Reply 4
I had LASIK surgery a year ago. The pain was immediate after the anaesthetic wore off, and was pretty intense, but I had a sleep for a few hours and when I awoke I could see perfectly and there was no pain. A friend of mine had LASEK done a couple months before I had my eye surgery, she had scars on her eyes so had to have this type done. Her pain was gradual, (she actually went shopping afterwards!) but it lasted for a few days. I also have another friend who got it done after I recommended it, and none of us do not regret a single thing. The money and pain are totally worth it to have (better than) 20:20 vision. It is the best thing I have ever spent money on.

I would book in a consulation (they are free) I had one with optical express, who I had the proceedure done with. They were very friendly and re-assuring, and answered any questions I had.

Risks are incredibly low, and most are easily fixed. The surgeons carry out these proceedures quickily and very reguarly.

Check out: http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery/answers.html for more info on the surgerys.

If you know someone who has had it done, I'd say go talk to them and ask them about. I made my mind up after knowing and speaking to my friend about having it done.
Reply 5
I haven't seen Final Destination 5, so that's probably a good thing!

Thanks for your tips

:smile:
Reply 6
I haven't seen Final Destination 5, so that's probably a good thing!

Thanks for your tips

:smile:

been contemplating this myself .. I don't look great in glasses and lenses also dry my eyes out!

just not sure about long term effects of this surgery
Reply 7
Original post by tnajamie
been contemplating this myself .. I don't look great in glasses and lenses also dry my eyes out!

just not sure about long term effects of this surgery

Yeah the long term effects worry me too, apparently it may not be permanent if your eyes grow!? :eek:
I really don't mean to put you off but my step-father had laser eye surgery about 6 years ago and he has now reverted back to wearing glasses because his eyes deteriorated quite rapidly around 5 years after he had it done so the effects may not be long-lasting. He had an eye check-up the other day and his optician told him more surgery would do his eyes no good and would mean instead of wearing glasses for short-sightedness he would have to wear them to read things up-close as well as his eyes have lost their elasticity.

The technology may well have improved over the past few years and eye surgery will have different effects on different people, but the length of time it works for will vary.
I had it done just over three months ago. Best thing I ever did.

The amount of pain you get depends on the surgery you have. I had the most painful one but it was still managable with painkillers and anethetic.

I wouldn't bother unless you really hate glasses and contacts like i did.

Remember your eyes need to have been stable for two years and it will not stop natural deterioration with age but if you have it in your twenties you should get 20 odd years from it.

But remember it is quite expensive...far more than they advertise.

If you want some more info then just IM me or quote me and I'll respond ASAP
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I really don't mean to put you off but my step-father had laser eye surgery about 6 years ago and he has now reverted back to wearing glasses because his eyes deteriorated quite rapidly around 5 years after he had it done so the effects may not be long-lasting. He had an eye check-up the other day and his optician told him more surgery would do his eyes no good and would mean instead of wearing glasses for short-sightedness he would have to wear them to read things up-close as well as his eyes have lost their elasticity.

The technology may well have improved over the past few years and eye surgery will have different effects on different people, but the length of time it works for will vary.

How old is your step father? I'm guessing 40s or 50s which means his eyes will deteriorate with age. laser can't stop that happening so if you have it when your older then it won't work as well
Original post by Ellsbells3032
How old is your step father? I'm guessing 40s or 50s which means his eyes will deteriorate with age. laser can't stop that happening so if you have it when your older then it won't work as well

Early 40s, and he's also on his computer quite a lot for work purposes so yeah these are also contributing factors. However the laser surgery effects didn't last long which was what I was getting at; it won't stop natural deterioration so (at the moment) it isn't a quick fix that will sort you out for the rest of your life.
Early 40s, and he's also on his computer quite a lot for work purposes so yeah these are also contributing factors. However the laser surgery effects didn't last long which was what I was getting at; it won't stop natural deterioration so (at the moment) it isn't a quick fix that will sort you out for the rest of your life.

Yeah but i'm guessing OP isn't in her 40s (I may be wrong). If you're young then it will last longer because your eyes will deteriorate as you get older and the surgery can't stop that
Yeah but i'm guessing OP isn't in her 40s (I may be wrong). If you're young then it will last longer because your eyes will deteriorate as you get older and the surgery can't stop that

I never said she was but I was just making sure they understood that for the price it costs it's not always going to completely solve the problem.

Some people assume that having laser eye surgery means they will never have to wear glasses again - I'm just saying that quite often this isn't the case.
I never said she was but I was just making sure they understood that for the price it costs it's not always going to completely solve the problem.

Some people assume that having laser eye surgery means they will never have to wear glasses again - I'm just saying that quite often this isn't the case.

True True
True True

I really didn't mean to sound like such a pessimist, but as you say the younger you are the more you get out of it :colondollar:
Reply 16

I've just turned 18, hence why I want to get all the information about it now :smile:

How expensive was it, if you don't mind me asking? They advertise it to be about £400 per eye... :confused:
I've just turned 18, hence why I want to get all the information about it now :smile:

How expensive was it, if you don't mind me asking? They advertise it to be about £400 per eye... :confused:

Depends on your perscription. Mine was -4 and it was £3000 for both eyes (LASEK with wavefront). That's a pretty average price, you can get more or less expensive depending on the different options you chose. Will post about the options in a minute
The choices you have are two basic treatments:

LASIK: where they create a flap. This takes about 24-48 hours to recover from. You get instant results and there's no real pain afterwards. However, you do have a higher risk of complications and some people (myself included) are not eligable for it as their corneas are too thin. It's also not suitable for people who do a lot of contact sports as the flap never fully heals and can reopen with trauma.

The other surgery is LASEK (what I had) - this they kind of graze your eye and remove the outer layer of the epithilials. This one takes about 4 days to recover from (though I'd say a week to drive). I was in pain (but manageable with painkillers and drops) for about 48 hours and the eye sight improves in the first week but takes up to about 3 months to get full results - i just had my 3 months and can now read two lines below the 20:20 whereas before I couldn't even read the big E. The upside is lower rate of infections and complications and completely heals, even the best opthalmic surgeon couldn't tell you've had it done so any later trauma to the eye is irrelevant. Also less likely to have dry eyes than with LASIK.

With both surgeries you can have what's called Wavefront which is a type of machine that tracks your eyes better and therefore more precise giving you a better chance of perfect vision. I did have this. It lowers your chance of having problems with night eye sight e.g. starbursts and halos.

If you have LASIK you can opt for INTRALASE which is when the flap is cut by a laser not a human and therefore lower risk of error. Also might be a better option if you don't like people near your eyes although everything is soooo blurry you won't see it anyway.
Reply 19
My girlfriend has laser eye surgery in Ecuador. She said it was one of the best things she ever did, had next to no pain and has had no problems whatsoever.

It is worth remembering that contact lenses are not risk-free themselves; they predispose you to infections, which can very occasionally be catastrophic. It depends on the evidence you use, but the risks of laser eye surgery are about equivalent to 10 years of contact lens wearing, perhaps slightly more. If you are young, you can easily get 30+ years out of laser eye surgery before age-related problems start sinking in.

I really don't mean to put you off but my step-father had laser eye surgery about 6 years ago and he has now reverted back to wearing glasses because his eyes deteriorated quite rapidly around 5 years after he had it done so the effects may not be long-lasting.

As has been siad, whilst its not a permanent fix, a young person can still hope to get 30 years or more. Your father is pretty unfortunate!

Much less in Ecuador :wink: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest