The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Can't believe I've only lost a pound altogether in the last month. I knew I'd had a couple of STS but didn't realise quite the extent. I need to get a grip on this and get it sorted. But there's no chance of that happening this week because of chocolate EVERYWHERE, and boyfriend's birthday tomorrow so he'll want to go out and stuff our faces, and then come home again and probably do the same. AH. I'd have to lose 2lbs a week now if I was going to reach my goal in time and I really can't see that happening now.

This sounds like me- my body just DOES NOT seem to want to lose weight. I find it confusing how I've put on so much since the start of university, because I cycle 3-6 miles every day, and play sport 3 times a week which is waaay more than I did at home! Think I have to realise I will always put on weight really easily though....:frown:
Reply 2001
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1rXGASaJb

I'm following a primal diet at the moment (linked above) which I can't rave about enough. Definitely check it out and have a read, especially the articles about fat, carbs and how insulin works in the body. You'll never look at a carb the same way again!
Can't believe I've only lost a pound altogether in the last month. I knew I'd had a couple of STS but didn't realise quite the extent. I need to get a grip on this and get it sorted. But there's no chance of that happening this week because of chocolate EVERYWHERE, and boyfriend's birthday tomorrow so he'll want to go out and stuff our faces, and then come home again and probably do the same. AH. I'd have to lose 2lbs a week now if I was going to reach my goal in time and I really can't see that happening now.

Don't worry about it. Unfortunately now that you are a lot slimmer you won't be able to lose at the same rate that you were losing before. Don't worry too much about it eventually you will reach your target weight.

Original post by betty_w
This sounds like me- my body just DOES NOT seem to want to lose weight. I find it confusing how I've put on so much since the start of university, because I cycle 3-6 miles every day, and play sport 3 times a week which is waaay more than I did at home! Think I have to realise I will always put on weight really easily though....:frown:

You may have hit a plateau. Same thing happened to me and didn't lose for over 3 months despite exercising and eating at a deficit. How long has it been since you last lost weight and how many calories are you eating a day??
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37065540']It wasn't raining (or at least, not too much) when I got up, so I forced myself out for a run :smile:

Was a shortish one (2.75miles), but better than nothing, and it felt very refreshing :smile:

Ahh well done. Put me to shame! I didn't wake up early enough to avoid the rain :rolleyes:
I quite like running if it's a bit drizzly, but not when it's hammering it down. Last time I did that it was along Swansea sea-front, and it just hurt my face :tongue:

__

I had Ready Brek today, it's like being a child again :colondollar:
Just put my stats into 'myfitnesspal' apparently I should eat 1,200 cals per day and excersice for 30 mins, 3 days per per week, in order to lose 7lbs by May.

The excercise bit is easy but 1,200 cals per day - :eek:. I've already had 213 cals just by eating cereal for breakfast. This is going to be difficult.
I haven't posted in a while but in that time I've bought books on combating binge eating, admitted to my GP what's going on and next time I see them I'll finally let them refer me for talking therapy. I've had enough of food ruining my day.

I've also just subscribed to a health and fitness magazine - those things always help to motivate me. I probably should have gone for the cheaper one, but I can't buy the other one anywhere nearby haha.

Yesterday I felt so ill from having too much sugar over the past few days, I don't want to feel like that again. I know it's pretty much lunchtime, but I've only just woken up (:colondollar:) so I'm going to start the day right with some shredded wheat (a new favourite of mine) and a smoothie. I'll also check my fridge and see if I need to go and buy some more fruit and veg (while avoiding the evil chocolate aisle!)

I also plan to get back to the gym on Wednesday (I'm working all day tomorrow so I can't really go then). It'll help with the anxiety attacks I keep having about uni if nothing else!
Reply 2006
Original post by Alma/Matters.
Just put my stats into 'myfitnesspal' apparently I should eat 1,200 cals per day and excersice for 30 mins, 3 days per per week, in order to lose 7lbs by May.

The excercise bit is easy but 1,200 cals per day - :eek:. I've already had 213 cals just by eating cereal for breakfast. This is going to be difficult.

I usually eat around 1200-1300 a day. Cutting down on carbs and having more protein can help to fill you up without using loads of calories. For breakfast, an omelette is good (I use 1 egg + 2 egg whites, plus peppers, sweetcorn, ham, etc - whatever I have in the fridge), or I usually have 1 or 2 eggs with turkey 'bacon', or every few days I have porridge to mix it up a bit. For lunch, usually tuna/chicken/salmon salad (no dressing, I don't like it - but use balsamic vinegar or something rather than a high calorie pre-made dressing if you do want one). Snacks tend to be satsumas, carrot sticks, raisins & nuts (although only a couple of nuts as otherwise I find myself eating like 500 calories of them haha). For dinner, I usually have something like chilli, bolognese, curry - a pretty big portion, but almost always without rice/pasta/etc, just the meat & sauce. Some people would probably find this weird but I prefer it usually - too much bread/pasta/etc makes me feel lethargic and bloated.

With cereals, porridge, etc I'd definitely advise weighing out your portions because it's very easy to have more than you think!

On the days you exercise you should eat some more (when you input your exercise into MFP it'll give you an approximate idea of the calories burnt, and add this to your daily allowance) so you still get a net intake of 1200 calories.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha. I'm not exercising nearly enough to make up for the amount I'm eating but never mind it'll only be for a week.

It's not fair that it takes me an hour to burn 100 cals, but ONE MOUTHFUL of Lindor to eat it back!

An hour to burn 100 cals? Gemma, that surely can't be right! Or do you mean BMR cals?
Just saying because according to my HRM, a moderate gym session burns just over 600 cals in an hour for me. Hell, even walking for an hour will burn around 400!

EDIT: No idea why this received a real neg. Would someone like to enlighten me? My overuse of the exclamation mark, perhaps... :/
(edited 12 years ago)
hellooo :smile:
I have been totally and utterly MIA for the whole of the Easter holidays. I thought it'd be easier to eat better at home - turns out it isn't! I'm going back to uni on Sunday so hopefully my eating habits will change. Been going out/staying in and eating crap with the boyfriend (we got back together about a month ago and things have never been better :biggrin:) and the same with my best friend. It's been ridiculous! I don't think I've put TOO much on, I weighed myself the other day and I was like 12 st 4 or something which I suppose isn't too bad. I'm going on holiday around the 6th June with the boyfriend (which makes this even more vital) and need to sort myself out before then!

Need to start 30DS when I get back to uni every day, and will have more control over what I eat so will hopefully eat better. I have been ridiculously unhealthy recently and hope to lose 2lb per week. Wishful thinking but hopefully I can do it!

Also: todays food. Which for the start of a diet isn't so good... on a lighter note I have no Easter chocolate left!

Breakfast: McDonalds porridge with some syrup (managed to resist the egg, cheese and sausage bagel my boyfriend had!)
Dinner: Spicy chicken breast in a pitta bread with lettuce, cucumber and light mayo
Tea: unsure yet as I'm going to my dads for tea... please not pizza. *telepathic message to dad*
Snacks: Easter egg. woops.

Exercise: had to walk from the train station so about a 40 minute brisk walk :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marmalady
An hour to burn 100 cals? Gemma, that surely can't be right! Or do you mean BMR cals?
Just saying because according to my HRM, a moderate gym session burns just over 600 cals in an hour for me. Hell, even walking for an hour will burn around 400!

I'm so sorry my laptop just went crazy when I was trying to edit my post and I ended up negging you! :frown:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm so sorry my laptop just went crazy when I was trying to edit my post and I ended up negging you! :frown:

Haha, thanks for letting me know, I was wondering what that was for! Accidental negging of my posts seems to be happening quite a lot recently, haha. Suppose it's much better than real negging :smile:

EDIT: And this one. This is getting silly now, really...
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha, thanks for letting me know, I was wondering what that was for! Accidental negging of my posts seems to be happening quite a lot recently, haha. Suppose it's much better than real negging :smile:

My laptops just ridiculous and was making the page jump :tongue:
I'll find an old post of yours and pos it to make up for it haha.

I was being a bit dramatic because I was sulking, sorry :P.
I was being a bit dramatic because I was sulking, sorry :P.

Haha, alright then :wink: I knew it must've been something because you wouldn't have been able to do so well and lose this much weight if you were so clueless about calories! :tongue:
Reply 2014
Spoilering because these replies are hench.
Original post by Riku
Reading this I'm starting to wonder if I might be having too many carbs in one sitting. E.g. today it was 3 weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, chopped up a plum, some sultanas-but I'm stuck in so it might have been quite a lot. Calculated that's like 70g at once :eek: and I seem to react to them quickly almost immediately after my eyes started burning which could be earlier onset of macular degenration...especially since I'd had a proper sleep last night...
[might have been closer to 60]
BUT this could just be my eyes hurt from looking at the screen, lol. And it's mainly complex carbs/natural sugars anyway. Even as variation on my standard brekkie, I don't see why something like that would end up in me becoming diabetic when many people eat the same in refined sugars daily without even realising it. I'm already hyper-sensitive to these feelings so it probably means nothing?

Spoiler

Original post by kerplunk5
Thanks for the detailed response! Think I will give it a go from tomorrow. Do you watch sweeteners (like diet coke) much? Different places seem to say different things about whether it matters.

Spoiler

Apologies to everybody just trying to use this thread to chat or log their food etc. Didn't mean to turn it into a science lesson :redface: (hence the spoilers).

EDIT:
Original post by lolo66
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1rXGASaJb

I'm following a primal diet at the moment (linked above) which I can't rave about enough. Definitely check it out and have a read, especially the articles about fat, carbs and how insulin works in the body. You'll never look at a carb the same way again!

Excellent, another MDA convert :colone:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nut.
Apologies to everybody just trying to use this thread to chat or log their food etc. Didn't mean to turn it into a science lesson (hence the spoilers).

That's quite alright - I for one find it all incredibly interesting/fascinating, so thanks! PRSOM.
Haha, alright then :wink: I knew it must've been something because you wouldn't have been able to do so well and lose this much weight if you were so clueless about calories! :tongue:

My point still stands though.. it takes too long to burn off yummy things :-(.
Reply 2017
Original post by Nut.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Apologies to everybody just trying to use this thread to chat or log their food etc. Didn't mean to turn it into a science lesson :redface: (hence the spoilers).

EDIT:

Spoiler

:hugs:
Reply 2018
Original post by Nut.

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT:

I am indeed :smile: Only because of your post the other day (so thank you!) I have candida so have to eat a low carbohydrate (with absolutely no sugar) diet anyway, so the primal diet suits me very well. The only difference I have to make is that I can't eat any berries and I have to watch it on the nut intake as my body is finding them a little difficult to digest at the moment. How many grams of carbs are you currently eating?
Reply 2019
Original post by Aemiliana
I haven't posted in a while but in that time I've bought books on combating binge eating, admitted to my GP what's going on and next time I see them I'll finally let them refer me for talking therapy. I've had enough of food ruining my day.

I've also just subscribed to a health and fitness magazine - those things always help to motivate me. I probably should have gone for the cheaper one, but I can't buy the other one anywhere nearby haha.

Yesterday I felt so ill from having too much sugar over the past few days, I don't want to feel like that again. I know it's pretty much lunchtime, but I've only just woken up (:colondollar:) so I'm going to start the day right with some shredded wheat (a new favourite of mine) and a smoothie. I'll also check my fridge and see if I need to go and buy some more fruit and veg (while avoiding the evil chocolate aisle!)

I also plan to get back to the gym on Wednesday (I'm working all day tomorrow so I can't really go then). It'll help with the anxiety attacks I keep having about uni if nothing else!

I just wanted to say go you! This is a really positive way to approach things, food should never ruin your day, brighten it up sometimes maybe but never get in the way of it. It's such a trivial thing in the broad scheme of things to interfere with a wonderful life.
Obviously it'll take time as there's no quick fix but bear with it, you'll be going in the right direction without even realising sometimes. I sincerely hope therapy helps you as much as it's helping me.
:hugs:

Latest