The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by laurenl93
Out of interest what is the 30DS? :smile:

It's a brill workout DVD! Well done on the medicine offer btw :smile:
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Yep I know exactly how you feel and everyday has been like that recently. But sometimes I feel like just because I look slim in clothes, it doesn't mean I'm slim out of them! But we don't see in the mirror isn't what other people see....I mean, that comment in the gym proves it. It's all a mindset...like one day you wear an outfit and feel amazing and the next week you wear it and feel awful knowing full well that you look the same. It's a mindset that you have to force yourself to change. The other week I felt fat and instead of hiding under a baggy hoody, I forced myself to put on a fitted dress and pretend that I felt amazing...because you start to believe it after a while if that makes sense. If you feel like **** then don't show it...fake it till you make it and all that.

I've put on weight recently and my friend and I were having a discussion the other day. He said to me 'can I be honest? You know before Christmas when you were skinny...well you looked awful and everyone thought it!! We just didn't say it because you felt good.' Opposite scenario but highlights the fact that what we see in ourselves is warped sometimes and isn't always what other people see. At the time I felt great and skinny but looking back on it, it just didn't suit me. Being told I was too skinny boosted my ego and made me wanna lose more but I know now that it was wrong.

You should be so proud of yourself for what you've achieved and insecurities don't disappear overnight...in fact they'll never disappear but you learn to accept yourself for who you are.

Remember that the next time you see a girl with a gorgeous body, she is probably having a fat day too and we all have insecurities. That woman at the gym was looking at your body in envy in the exact same way we do to others. No-one judges us more than we judge ourselves.

Aw thanks for the comment. Would have rep you but ran out of reps for today. I guess you are right. Just need to accept myself a bit more.

Hows things going for you as you mentioned you put on a bit of weight (as I remember from before that you said you were struggling a bit to stick to your calories)

Original post by Lu-x
Nope it's a local race for the bone marrow charity Anthony Nolan Trust :smile:. As medics there's lots of us getting involved. Just hope I can reach the 10k mark by June, it's not that far away thinking about it :redface:

If you are already doing 5k now you should be fine by June. The adrenaline rush of doing the race can make one push ourselves further than we normally do. Mix some long runs with short runs as doing short runs can help increase pace on the long runs
Right I have a question :biggrin:

My BMR is 1606.7 (I think) I put lightly active as I do a lot of walking but never really any serios exercise? Its always just walking the dog for long walks/walking to uni every day (2 miles) etc.

So to maintain my weight I need 2206 calories? So anything over that would mean I would begin to put on weight? And anything under is good (obviously I aim for 1200 calories) but I mean say today when I burnt 250 calories from walking, and ate 1661 (went over even with exercise deficit) I would just maintain?

I'm confused about BMR and what amount of calories makes me put on weight. :tongue:
Original post by Chrisateen
Aw thanks for the comment. Would have rep you but ran out of reps for today. I guess you are right. Just need to accept myself a bit more.

Hows things going for you as you mentioned you put on a bit of weight (as I remember from before that you said you were struggling a bit to stick to your calories)

Ummm tbh with exams very very soon, I'm a little beyond caring. Put it this way, I'm pulling an all nighter atm and just had a twix:redface: I always eat porridge for breakfast, no carbs at lunch, 2L of water, plenty of veg etc etc but it's the evening when I struggle. I've started running every other morning because the gym is just too time consuming. Basically my good habits are all still there but bad ones have crept in alongside. Part of me feels complacent that in six weeks time I'll lose it again and wanna start lifting heavy in summer (I'll harass you for advice about that nearer the time:tongue:). And for now I'm just doing whatever to focus on studying. It's only 3lbs or so on the scale but noticeable in person. Apparently I look better now even if I don't feel it because I lose weight from my face really quickly so it makes me look gaunt so people notice that even though the rest of me isn't skinny!

How are you (and everyone else here) balancing food, exercise and exam stress because it makes me wanna eat everything in sight!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn
Right I have a question :biggrin:

My BMR is 1606.7 (I think) I put lightly active as I do a lot of walking but never really any serios exercise? Its always just walking the dog for long walks/walking to uni every day (2 miles) etc.

So to maintain my weight I need 2206 calories? So anything over that would mean I would begin to put on weight? And anything under is good (obviously I aim for 1200 calories) but I mean say today when I burnt 250 calories from walking, and ate 1661 (went over even with exercise deficit) I would just maintain?

I'm confused about BMR and what amount of calories makes me put on weight. :tongue:

Your BMR of 1606 is NOT your maintenance calories. 1606 is how much calories you need a day if all you do all day is sleep. So for someone who is lightly active 2206 calories is your maintenance calories. So today you ate 1661 and burnt 250 so that means....

2206-1661+250 = 795

So today you had a deficit of 795 calories so you should be losing weight by the end of the week (if every day is similar)

Ummm tbh with exams very very soon, I'm a little beyond caring. Put it this way, I'm pulling an all nighter atm and just had a twix:redface: I always eat porridge for breakfast, no carbs at lunch, 2L of water, plenty of veg etc etc but it's the evening when I struggle. I've started running every other morning because the gym is just too time consuming. Basically my good habits are all still there but bad ones have crept in alongside. Part of me feels complacent that in six weeks time I'll lose it again and wanna start lifting heavy in summer (I'll harass you for advice about that nearer the time:tongue:). And for now I'm just doing whatever to focus on studying. It's only 3lbs or so on the scale but noticeable in person. Apparently I look better now even if I don't feel it because I lose weight from my face really quickly so it makes me look gaunt so people notice that even though the rest of me isn't skinny!

How are you (and everyone else here) balancing food, exercise and exam stress because it makes me wanna eat everything in sight!!

I'm trying really hard not to overeat (which I am finding really hard at the moment) and still going to the gym 4 times a week.

3lbs is normal amount of weight to gain when maintaining. As long as you don't gain more than 7lbs you should be fine. Usually when one is maintaining we have to be a bit more flexible with our weight as it would not always stay the same.
Reply 2345

Not in the slightest! Exercising makes me feel like I'm wasting time I should be studying and I'm just grazing so I can go back to my stupid books. Can't wait for it all to be over, you're certainly not alone in struggling with exams and diet!
Original post by Kate.
Apparently Jillian actually said the 30 days thing is more of a marketing technique - she actually intended for people to do 2 days of 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio and a rest day, rather than 10 days in a row of each level. Just pick up wherever you're comfortable!

Ah thats great thank you for your help :smile:

-

I havent had breakfast this morning because i didnt have enough time but im planning on treating me and my bf to a milkshake at lunchtime.

Does anyone have an idea how many calories a crunchy nut cornflake milkshake would have - regular size, milk, scoop of icecream and some of the cereal? i put it in mfp as a generic restaurant vanilla milkshake and it said there was 800+ calories! I really hope my milkshake isnt that much!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
Ah thats great thank you for your help :smile:

-

I havent had breakfast this morning because i didnt have enough time but im planning on treating me and my bf to a milkshake at lunchtime.

Does anyone have an idea how many calories a crunchy nut cornflake milkshake would have - regular size, milk, scoop of icecream and some of the cereal? i put it in mfp as a generic restaurant vanilla milkshake and it said there was 800+ calories! I really hope my milkshake isnt that much!

A quick google suggests somewhere between 400 and 600 calories for a milkshake like that. Could ask if they'd do it with frozen yoghurt instead? (Are you going somewhere like Shakeaway?)

---

Eugh, stress + cramps + headache = feeling generally rubbish, and wanting to eat everything in sight.
Original post by conway!
Not in the slightest! Exercising makes me feel like I'm wasting time I should be studying and I'm just grazing so I can go back to my stupid books. Can't wait for it all to be over, you're certainly not alone in struggling with exams and diet!

I thought I was the only one because everyone here seems to be coping! It's just the effort of cooking something decent/the boredom of being in the library watching everyone else eat/the stress/the late nights and snacking...I could go on! I tend to exercise at 6am so it's done and out of the way. Not as much as I normally would do to but somethings better than nothing but when the actual exams come around I won't be exercising much tbh. It'll all be over soon!!
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37192849']A quick google suggests somewhere between 400 and 600 calories for a milkshake like that. Could ask if they'd do it with frozen yoghurt instead? (Are you going somewhere like Shakeaway?)

---

Eugh, stress + cramps + headache = feeling generally rubbish, and wanting to eat everything in sight.

Frozen yoghurt sounds interesting, im going to a place called shakeys in hartlepool :smile: not sure if they sell anything other than milkshakes, ive never had frozen yoghurt before so thatd be nice to try!

Aww poor you :frown: bless yah hope you feel well soon x
I haven't been on for ages as I've been concentrating on my project (which is now finally handed in :biggrin:) so I now have time to get back to cooking all my food and exercising most days before the storm of finals.
Body Pump this morning completely kicked my derriere! The class started late because the one before it overran, so the instructor decided to treat us all to what he likes to call 'splunges': a mix of shoulders and lunges because there wasn't time to do both tracks separately. Let's just say I don't think I'll be able to lift my arms tomorrow. Seems a lot harder to do shoulder presses and lateral raises when you're lunging at the same time!
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
Frozen yoghurt sounds interesting, im going to a place called shakeys in hartlepool :smile: not sure if they sell anything other than milkshakes, ive never had frozen yoghurt before so thatd be nice to try!

Aww poor you :frown: bless yah hope you feel well soon x

I've sorted out what was stressing me, now if only the headache/cramps would go away. The joy of being female :rolleyes:

Still feeling like I want to empty the cupboards, but I'm trying to make sure that if I am going to snack, that it's on healthy stuff. I pretty much always end up eating more during the first day or so of TTOTM, but if I make sure it's not all junk food, I don't feel too bad about it.

Just had a homemade pizza (warburton's sqaure wrap topped with chilli chicken breast, chilli jam, spring onions and reduced fat cheese) and salad for lunch :smile: Trying to resist the white choc and PB cookies that I made yesterday - going to suggest to my mum that we split one when she gets in :smile:
I'm back in the 14 stone range again :woo: now to try and work towards the 13 stone
Reply 2354
Today is going to be a massive pig out! Just had an absolutely awful exam so I'm fully intending to have a whole bottle of wine tonight. A pint and portion of chips have already been demolished and I'm anticipating more snacks.

I've been netting under my BMR for the last few days and as I'm pretty much maintaining I don't think an off day is going to do too much. Then once I've got it out of my system and buckle down for the next exam (not for another month) it should be much easier to stick to healthier foods and exercise
Original post by marmalady
Body Pump this morning completely kicked my derriere! The class started late because the one before it overran, so the instructor decided to treat us all to what he likes to call 'splunges': a mix of shoulders and lunges because there wasn't time to do both tracks separately. Let's just say I don't think I'll be able to lift my arms tomorrow. Seems a lot harder to do shoulder presses and lateral raises when you're lunging at the same time!

Ouch! The new shoulder track is a bitch on its own...let alone combined with lunges!! Squat track is easier though I find because it's so short.
Original post by marmalady

Do you find pump a good workout? I used to do attack until they cancelled it and never really found anything to replace it.

__

I'm not having a fun day, still have terrible cramps and my wisdom teeth are also killing me! So haven't felt like eating a lot, but haven't been especially healthy when I have eaten. Gym tomorrow will hopefully help.
Got everything printed and got my dissertation bound today! Then went to hand it in and the woman wasn't in her office so went again later and she still wasn't there.. Annoyed, as I wanted everything officially gone today! But this time tomorrow I will be able to say I never have to hand in a uni assignment again.. Unless I do something mad like another degree.. *shudders*!

I was going to do C25K today but then remembered it said to take at least one rest day between each one so I will leave it as I'm determined to do it properly. Plus I've been active today so I would struggle with it anyway even though I'm only on day 3! I prefer my workouts to be first thing when I have the most energy.
Ouch! The new shoulder track is a bitch on its own...let alone combined with lunges!! Squat track is easier though I find because it's so short.

Oh, we haven't started the new release yet; that's next week! But thanks for letting me know I've got something to look forward to, haha. :wink:
Original post by aysha.19
Hi guys, need to lose some pounds... A friend suggested Banana Diet. Any experiences?

Instead of negging my post can someone explain why that's a bad idea... :confused:

Latest