The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
Original post by The_Goose
I just wouldn't know what to eat if I wasn't having pasta, rice, potatoes or bread

Meat, fish, vegetables, nuts and some fruit for me. :h:

And I have potatoes or sweet potatoes 2 or 3 times a week.
Can it be dinner time now please?

I'm not actually hungry yet, just looking forward to it :tongue: Cod in tomato and chorizo sauce with boiled new potatoes and looooaads of steamed brocolli and green beans (I seem to have quite a bit of veg in my fridge that I've not managed to eat, so want to get rid of it before it goes funky)
GAH! I've went over my carb goals for three days in a row now! And I STILL have plenty of calories to eat, but I don't because EVERRRYYTHHINNGG has fricken carbs in it! D:
Reply 3163
I just wouldn't know what to eat if I wasn't having pasta, rice, potatoes or bread

I rarely eat any of those things! I still have bolognese, chilli, curry etc but just have them on their own without the pasta etc. Some people might find it a bit weird to get used to but I prefer it really. I don't feel as stuffed and bloated. As well as meals like that, I often have grilled fish/meat of some description with a huge plate of roasted vegetables - red onions, peppers, cherry tomatoes, courgettes, butternut squash.

I'm not that fussed about bread really. Cinnamon & raisin bagels are my favourite weekend treats (I don't tend to watch what I'm eating on weekends but I still don't go mad). Other than that I only eat bread if I'm having a burger or something if I go out for a meal with my boyfriend...which is very rare. I eat salads instead of sandwiches for lunch and only eat toast for breakfast if I'm hungover at my mom's house :p:

Potatoes are just boring anyway...sweet potatoes are way nicer! I still don't eat them much though. Baked sweet potato + beans is far superior to boring normal potato though omg. Delicious.
Reply 3164
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37451349']Can it be dinner time now please?

I'm not actually hungry yet, just looking forward to it :tongue: Cod in tomato and chorizo sauce with boiled new potatoes and looooaads of steamed brocolli and green beans (I seem to have quite a bit of veg in my fridge that I've not managed to eat, so want to get rid of it before it goes funky)

I have a tonnnn of green beans to use up! I'm thinking quorn sausages, mash and green beans for dinner! Although, it's probably not thattt healthy. I can't wait for dinner either, I'm sooo hungry. Waiting for the boy to get home...bring on 9!
Reply 3165
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
GAH! I've went over my carb goals for three days in a row now! And I STILL have plenty of calories to eat, but I don't because EVERRRYYTHHINNGG has fricken carbs in it! D:

I don't know if you like fish, or if I'm just a freak, but I often eat a tin of salmon or tuna on it's own (or you can eat with salad if you still have some carbs left).

Add some vinegar (+ mayo if desired) and off you trot. 0g carbs plus 30g of protein (+10g fat if it's salmon) per 200g tin.
And mackerel and other types of fish too, of course. And chargrilled chicken. :teehee:
:sogood:
If you can be bothered... http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/syn-free-chips.aspx

They are SO MUCH BETTER than any oven chip, low fat or not. Even my hubby loves them and would rather have them now than frozen oven chips!

Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I second this. I depend on these chips to survive some days :colondollar:

Wow ringing endorsements, might put it down as something to try on the weekend - sounds good.

Original post by phiddy23
Another seriously awesome chip recipe is to just put chopped sweet potatoes in the oven (without peeling them) with a bit of olive oil (can use any 'light' variety or whatever, olive oil is not too bad for you though) and loads of herbs or spices, anything you want. Leave them there for about 25 mins at about 180-200 degrees (I just play it by ear). Sweet potatoes are better for you than normal potatoes and I think they taste better :h: plus if you leave the skins on you're not removing the fibre. And it's really easy to control portions just by only cooking a certain amount. I usually do 150g, it looks like nothing but it's always enough.

I havent tried sweet potato yet but I have heard good things particulary fries like you say. Im a 'try in a restaurant from someones plate' kinda person; dont want to buy it in and have effort put into it if Im not going to like it. Will look out to try it though, when opportunity arises.

Today -

150ml fat free vanilla yoghurt with 25g mango and macadamia granola (lizis low gi), big salad with pepper, cucumber, tomato and lettuce with tuna and low fat mayo, 2 jaffa cakes, salad (pepper, cucumber, lettuce) boiled new potatoes (no skins - i know fibre but I just feel its dirty and i eat the skins on apples/granola has fibre/nuts have fibre etc.) and skinless grilled chicken breast with hp bbq sauce. Most boring-looking dinner on the planet, I was promised pasta with tomato sauce, sausage and cheese.
Mother bought new Haagen Daz Vanilla Brownie Caramel ice-cream, I had almost 200cals left over - can you see what happened?

Thursday Im out for a friend's birthday - i might have ice-cream for tea, its her choice but I would be having half with someone and shed be having a whole even if we do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just did C25k Week 3 and got all the way through it for the first time! I've attempted it 3-4 times but failed to get through the last 3 minutes. Finishing it has definitely motivated me to keep at it more frequently though, and it's good to know after not running properly for a couple of months I don't have to go back to square one!
Original post by Nut.
I don't know if you like fish, or if I'm just a freak, but I often eat a tin of salmon or tuna on it's own (or you can eat with salad if you still have some carbs left).

Add some vinegar (+ mayo if desired) and off you trot. 0g carbs plus 30g of protein (+10g fat if it's salmon) per 200g tin.
And mackerel and other types of fish too, of course. And chargrilled chicken. :teehee:
:sogood:

That is an absolutely brilliant idea! :biggrin: Thanks for that

--

Does anyone understand reps and sets? I'm gonna sound really stupid but today I've lifted weights 10 times per arm for 7 times. So is that 10 reps 7 sets or 10 reps 14 sets or 20 reps 7 sets?! I just don't know lol :confused:
Reply 3169
That is an absolutely brilliant idea! :biggrin: Thanks for that

--

Does anyone understand reps and sets? I'm gonna sound really stupid but today I've lifted weights 10 times per arm for 7 times. So is that 10 reps 7 sets or 10 reps 14 sets or 20 reps 7 sets?! I just don't know lol :confused:

A rep (repetition) is how many times you lift something without a break. A set is the term used to describe the total number of reps without a break.

So if you lifted a weight 10 times without a break, that is ten repetitions. If you wait 30-60 seconds then lift it again 10 times, you've done 2 sets of that exercise.

You did 7 sets of 10 reps per arm, which is actually a little high. If you can, increase the mass that you are lifting and do 12x3 or 10x3, something like that, per arm.
Started looking at "thinspirations" bad idea, feel like utter **** now :frown:

:console:
I've done that before, not good for the old self esteem :hugs: Go distract yourself with something else - looking like that is not realistic, healthy or desirable goal.
Reply 3172

"Fitspiration" is much better! Thinspiration is, most often, a complete extreme. About 90% of the thinspiration I've seen is full of very unhealthy people and it's definitely not a sustainable lifestyle, nor is it a very nice one to live speaking from experience. You're being healthy and doing something good for your life, and they're definitely not :hugs:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37455473']:console:
I've done that before, not good for the old self esteem :hugs: Go distract yourself with something else - looking like that is not realistic, healthy or desirable goal.

I just find it so frustrating having to work so hard to try to lose weight when some people out there can eat exactly what they want, not exercise and still stay slim. There are times when I actually envy my little sister so much to the point of hating her, like I might walk past her and get so angry I start to go red! I really don't want to be like this but I just want the pounds to **** off! I'm snappy and so tetchy atm and I know if I want to get to my goal weight and stay there I'm going to have to log my food on MFP and continue my exercise routine forever. Just wish it didn't have to be like this sometimes.

Sorry I'm on such a downer. I'm pretty mad I had three slices of pizza at 2.30pm and now I can't eat anything else because I'm 43g over my carb goal, I've burnt 184 so far and plan to burn 171 calories later doing 30DS but even this won't get my +43g carbs down to 0. Grg.
Original post by Smoosh
"Fitspiration" is much better! Thinspiration is, most often, a complete extreme. About 90% of the thinspiration I've seen is full of very unhealthy people and it's definitely not a sustainable lifestyle, nor is it a very nice one to live speaking from experience. You're being healthy and doing something good for your life, and they're definitely not :hugs:

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37455473']:console:

Thanks guys :hugs: I'll just have to bite the bullet. Moping on the lappy isn't going to help me lose weight!
(edited 11 years ago)
I've just discovered innocent veg pots, although at £3.79 a pop I'm starting to think ignorance may have been bliss.
Reply 3176
I've just discovered innocent veg pots, although at £3.79 a pop I'm starting to think ignorance may have been bliss.

They are often on offer. About a month ago at Waitrose they were two for £4, though it's 2 for £6 now, and Sainsburys and Tescos do it too sometimes. I tried to make my own Mexican Chilli version (it's the best one imo), and it was nice, but not the same :erm:
Reply 3177

Occasionally at Sainsbury's they are half price, but they're 2 for £6 at the moment.
I wouldn't pay £3 per pot though.. seems too much for a ready meal (how ever nice they are)
Reply 3178
Anyone got any advice on dealing with binge eating?

I've had problems with binge eating previously, I haven't properly binged for a good few months now but I still find it hard. It could be so easy for me to binge out, my housemates leave 'binge foods' out all the time. I'm scared of slipping back into old ways, I've come close recently. Wondered if I should go get help about it...
Reply 3179
Original post by Lu-x
Anyone got any advice on dealing with binge eating?

I've had problems with binge eating previously, I haven't properly binged for a good few months now but I still find it hard. It could be so easy for me to binge out, my housemates leave 'binge foods' out all the time. I'm scared of slipping back into old ways, I've come close recently. Wondered if I should go get help about it...

The only thing that worked for me was having a really strict diet, and not even touching the foods I would binge on. Now that I'm not at home I just make sure I don't buy them, but that could be hard if your housemates leave them out anyway.

Another thing that works for me is buying a LOT of low calorie fruit (like grapes, blueberries, satsumas, kiwis, melon etc) and when you feel like bingeing just binge on those. Also, keeping a food diary on myfitnesspal works because people can see what you've eaten, and I know I'm less likely to binge when I know I'm going to have to log it on there.

One other thing to do is distract yourself - do some work, watch a film, have a shower, go for a walk etc :smile:

Sorry if that doesn't help

Latest