The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I know it's fab! Almost finished 3 years back but went off to uni and never got round to getting there. Just had a two hour lesson now and it went well. Didn't stall at least!

It makes life so much more convenient. Haven't driven in about 7-8 months but thinking when I get back behind the wheel it will feel natural.
Original post by sauce
It makes life so much more convenient. Haven't driven in about 7-8 months but thinking when I get back behind the wheel it will feel natural.

Well I hadn't driven for 3 years and it all kinda comes flooding back! I'm a bit scared of passing, as I know I'll never walk anywhere again haha, but to be honest I need to pass because I HATE public transport so driving is the only way to go!
Reply 3302
I'm a girl and I want to start doing strength exercises and build muscle mass but I don't eat a lot, I'm just not hungry and I get full really really easily. If I force myself to eat, I end up feeling sick and I'd rather just not.

I was wondering what would happen if i started strength training? Lifting weights etc without upping my intake
Lost a pound! And totally ready to kick this week's ass after a week without my now usual exercise routine.

EDIT: Also Matalan have a new colossal mag that they send free to existing online shoppers (£2 in store) and I soooo want to buy like 3-5 things, Im waiting to drop a full dress size before buying anything and then only one or two cos I cant buy the stuff for my September holiday now when I hope to be a different size. Ah if only I could know the future and buy now for then or know whatll be about in the shops right before I go - hope they still have holiday stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jennie1987
Lost a pound! And totally ready to kick this week's ass after a week without my now usual exercise routine.

EDIT: Also Matalan have a new colossal mag that they send free to existing online shoppers (£2 in store) and I soooo want to buy like 3-5 things, Im waiting to drop a full dress size before buying anything and then only one or two cos I cant buy the stuff for my September holiday now when I hope to be a different size. Ah if only I could know the future and buy now for then or know whatll be about in the shops right before I go - hope they still have holiday stuff.

Well done :-).

I went to Matalan the other day; I've always loved it there tbh! Even when I was huge it was one of my favourite shops.
Well done :-).

I went to Matalan the other day; I've always loved it there tbh! Even when I was huge it was one of my favourite shops.

Ditto, its where I got most of my stuff 2 years ago for holiday but I think I should hold off even though they turn stock round pretty quick
Reply 3306
I love Asda reduced section. Got myself a quiche(which I cut into 4 bits working out at 255 calories a piece) 6 wholemeal rolls, 8 sachets of cup-a-soup and a pot of fresh mango and pineapple for 2.95 :biggrin: Keeping in mind the cup a soups alone were 1.50 I'm very pleased with that.
I put them into sandwich bags and stuck them in the freezer, that's lunch/dinner for three nights sorted then :biggrin:
Original post by sauce
I love Asda reduced section. Got myself a quiche(which I cut into 4 bits working out at 255 calories a piece) 6 wholemeal rolls, 8 sachets of cup-a-soup and a pot of fresh mango and pineapple for 2.95 :biggrin: Keeping in mind the cup a soups alone were 1.50 I'm very pleased with that.
I put them into sandwich bags and stuck them in the freezer, that's lunch/dinner for three nights sorted then :biggrin:

Well done!!! Bargains galore
Original post by neom
I'm a girl and I want to start doing strength exercises and build muscle mass but I don't eat a lot, I'm just not hungry and I get full really really easily. If I force myself to eat, I end up feeling sick and I'd rather just not.

I was wondering what would happen if i started strength training? Lifting weights etc without upping my intake

There are other ways to increase your calorie intake than just sheer volume. Try full fat milk, yoghurt, nuts, etc - look for foods that have a lot of calories per portion instead of filling up on calorie-light stuff. Drink extra calories instead of eating them and you'll get more in before you feel full. Have more meals instead of just increasing portion size - if you feel full, stop, and come back to it an hour later.

You can't really build muscle without a calorie surplus, preferably high protein.
Original post by neom

It depends. Different people will respond differently. As a beginner your body will change even without upping your food intake for a while. However eventually your body will stall (however I think it would be a long while before that will happen) as the body would require more calories in order to build muscle.

My advice is to just start lifting heavy and see what happens. Then after a while evaluate whether or not you need to gain or lose weight. However if you want to make decent progress its best to try and up your calorie intake now
Really struggling today guys. Hubbys birthday so on a family outing, with high calorie picnic. I'm already 200 over my goal and haven't even had tea yet!
Lost 2.9 pounds this week. Getting slightly annoying that no weight seems to be budging from my stomach/hips, it seems to just be coming off areas I'm already relatively ok with! It looks like I'll probably reach my weight goal for Lanzarote and graduation, but not my goal of how I wanted my body to look. Exams FINALLY finish this week, and while words cannot express how excited I am to rejoin life outside of the library, also slightly nervous of ruining all the progress I've made in the last few weeks. Social eating has always been my downfall, and from when I finish (Friday 5pm!) I seem to be eating out constantly for the weekend..Then on Sunday after work I'm going to Alton Towers, and we'll be staying in a hotel without access to a kitchen so eating out there as well, really hope I can manage to at least mantain next week! Going to try go to the gym/for a run on Saturday and Sunday to try balance things out, but given we're all going out on Friday not entirely sure how realistic Saturday morning is. I guess I'll find out!
Original post by kerplunk5
Lost 2.9 pounds this week. Getting slightly annoying that no weight seems to be budging from my stomach/hips, it seems to just be coming off areas I'm already relatively ok with! It looks like I'll probably reach my weight goal for Lanzarote and graduation, but not my goal of how I wanted my body to look. Exams FINALLY finish this week, and while words cannot express how excited I am to rejoin life outside of the library, also slightly nervous of ruining all the progress I've made in the last few weeks. Social eating has always been my downfall, and from when I finish (Friday 5pm!) I seem to be eating out constantly for the weekend..Then on Sunday after work I'm going to Alton Towers, and we'll be staying in a hotel without access to a kitchen so eating out there as well, really hope I can manage to at least mantain next week! Going to try go to the gym/for a run on Saturday and Sunday to try balance things out, but given we're all going out on Friday not entirely sure how realistic Saturday morning is. I guess I'll find out!

Well done :-). All the weight I have left is around that area as well so maybe it's just the way it goes.

I've just had the nicest (but probably very calorific) dinner ever. Oh well. I have all week to exercise!
Original post by Chrisateen

PinkyPurply's advice is right stick to 1400 calories. In fact I think you need to increase it a bit more to 1600 calories especially as you exercise a lot too. unfortunately because its the last few pounds and your body is already at a very healthy weight its gonna take a really long time to get rid of the last few pounds so patience is key

Will that still be enough to lose though? Just seems like it's quite a lot! I don't have any reason to be impatient, I have until August, I'm just keen to see the 120's on the scale now!

__

Day 3 of 30DS. Have to say, didn't think much of it to begin with, but I've been pretty achy yesterday and today! Must be working something.
Reply 3314
Lovely day - love the sunshine!

Breakfast: porridge with apple and raisins
Lunch: salad (cucumber, tomato, pepper, onion, feta cheese and a little bit of cooked pasta), apple crumble
Afternoon: banana, slice of brioche bread
Dinner: vegetable canneloni with salad (cucumber, tomato, onion). Plain yoghurt with fruit compote

Played a 40min game of netball earlier, and also cycled ~2miles there and back
Hey guys, it's lovely to read the last few pages and see everyone's progress - you're all massively inspirational :smile:

I'm going to say something now I never thought I'd say - I'm really enjoying going to the gym! Physically I feel battered but mentally I feel great.

Been swimming Mon, Wed, today and to the gym Thu, Fri, Sat and today.
Well done :-). All the weight I have left is around that area as well so maybe it's just the way it goes.

I've just had the nicest (but probably very calorific) dinner ever. Oh well. I have all week to exercise!

Thanks! Hopefully for both of us the last bit of weight leaves from where we want it to! What did you have for tea? Had a rubbish one because I came in from work starving and ate loads, so didn't have many calories left to play with :P
Original post by kerplunk5
Thanks! Hopefully for both of us the last bit of weight leaves from where we want it to! What did you have for tea? Had a rubbish one because I came in from work starving and ate loads, so didn't have many calories left to play with :P

Braised steak with gravy and lots of veg, some potatoes with cheesy stuff on top, slice of garlic bread, slice of tomato/cheese garlic bread, activia yoghurt, piece of fruit cake, and half a bag of maltesers. Oops!
It's my 21st birthday tomorrow, and I already have gotten a large Thorntons chocolate bottle...

TOMORROW WILL NOT BE GOOD :p:
Braised steak with gravy and lots of veg, some potatoes with cheesy stuff on top, slice of garlic bread, slice of tomato/cheese garlic bread, activia yoghurt, piece of fruit cake, and half a bag of maltesers. Oops!

Sounds amazing! At least most of it wasn't proper junk food, still much healthier than a takeout or something.

Latest