The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I'm not particularly religious, but I have decided that this year, for the first time ever, I am going to do lent! I decided to give up bread, just because I eat it nearly everyday, so I think it would be a good challenge to try to give up bread for forty days! I'm still going to allow wholemeal pittas, though.
Reply 381
Original post by Alt__x
I'm not particularly religious, but I have decided that this year, for the first time ever, I am going to do lent! I decided to give up bread, just because I eat it nearly everyday, so I think it would be a good challenge to try to give up bread for forty days! I'm still going to allow wholemeal pittas, though.

Good idea! I might try and think of something :smile:
Reply 382
I am now officially half way on my journey!!! I cannot describe how happy I am and I've learnt soo much about dieting and willpower from this diet which I could have done with knowing when I dieted before!!! I've picked out a bikini which I'm going to buy when I reach my tw... it's pricey but I know I'll have deserved it!!
Original post by Alt__x

I'm giving up chocolate, sweets and crisps completely for Lent. I did it last year with chocolate, sweets and orange Lucozade and I was amazed at how much willpower I had! :biggrin:
Just gone on a bit of a repping spree :biggrin:.

I was going to give up social networking for lent, but I figure that would be bad for my diet as I'm not s strict with myself when I can't shame myself online. So I might have to think of something else. Not sure though. Tbh I think I have enough to deal with at the moment without giving things up and stressing myself out further.. so maybe I won't.
bad week :cry2:

Damn cinnamon buns, homemade pancakes and Chinese buffet :shifty:

I'll do better this week :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I need to pick something to give up for Lent. I would try diet coke again, but (and I know this is a bit sad) I use it as a crutch when I'm in the library to stop me nibbling on other things, and since I'm gonna be living in the library for the next 6 weeks, I'm not sure I can manage. Maybe biscuits or crisps? I have too much chocolate in the house to give that up :tongue:

This weekend has been a total write off. But I'm going to go to pole later (there's a free practice session) so that's something at least
I'm back! :hi:

I've been doing really well with rowing and daily exercise :biggrin:
I'm still trying my very best to stay on track with a healthy diet (I'm finding this quite hard as my uni accommodation is catered 4 days a week) but the other three, I'm eating very well :smile:

I'm going shopping later, so I'll stock up on fruit and veg, healthy cereals, yoghurt etc :smile:

Great to see people doing so well! :yay:

Now....what to give up for lent?! Any ideas? :confused:
Reply 388
Had a baaaaad weekend food wise. Yesterday I had chinese duck, pancakes AND chocolate cake! :frown: Oh well, this week I'm definetely going to get straight back to it. Might give up biscuits for lent. They're the kind of thing I don't particularly enjoy, but eat without thinking anyway. Bad move!!
It's been SO quiet in here this week! Hope everyone's not giving up haha. It was lovely and sunny here today! Still very cold, but it just showed me that summer was coming, and I LOVE that!

Can't wait until I get go out in a t shirt and just walk for hours and hours.
I gained a lb about a month ago and still have not lost it. BUT everyone keeps telling me that I look so much slimmer and I feel it (depending on the day of the week) because I've been exercising alot. I have been doing body pump three times a week and upped my weights a bit too. I'm just confused, I think I look slimmer but I don't think the measurements show that but then again, I have gone down a jeans size since the Christmas holidays! I should stop weighing myself but I soooo dreamt of the day that i'd see 8 stone on the scale! Maybe I should go by how I look and feel...
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Got on the scales this morning because I'm too impatient and CAN'T not step on them. Same weight as I was last week, which tbh I found just astounding. This week I've had:

-12 pieces of fudge.
-4 pieces of toffee.
-Handful of Revels.
-8 Lindor chocolate ball things.
-2 packets of Lindor mini eggs.

-Crunchie.
-Packet of chocolate buttons (small packet).
-Little bar of Cadbury's.
-Bar of Cadbury's caramel.

..and I still haven't gained. AND TOTM is due, which means I really should have gained at least a little bit. Also won £10 on the lottery last night, so I'm feeling slightly cocky this morning.

However, I only have a flake and a fudge to go, and then I can get back to it. Sounds like the exercise cancelled out any naughtiness this week, so fingers crossed I can make next week even better.

Those Lindor easter egg things are soooo nice. Can't wait till after easter when they stop selling then and the creme eggs as I keep getting tempted to eat them.

TOTM has also been hard for me too. I've been more hungry than usual and end up eating a lot of junk this week
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
I gained a lb about a month ago and still have not lost it. BUT everyone keeps telling me that I look so much slimmer and I feel it (depending on the day of the week) because I've been exercising alot. I have been doing body pump three times a week and upped my weights a bit too. I'm just confused, I think I look slimmer but I don't think the measurements show that but then again, I have gone down a jeans size since the Christmas holidays! I should stop weighing myself but I soooo dreamt of the day that i'd see 8 stone on the scale! Maybe I should go by how I look and feel...

How many calories have you been eating in the last month and how much calories do you burn in a week in the gym
Original post by Chrisateen
Those Lindor easter egg things are soooo nice. Can't wait till after easter when they stop selling then and the creme eggs as I keep getting tempted to eat them.

TOTM has also been hard for me too. I've been more hungry than usual and end up eating a lot of junk this week

I know.. too nice really. I now have no chocolate in the house, and I certainly can't afford to buy any, so hopefully that will make me behave myself for a little while at least.
How many calories have you been eating in the last month and how much calories do you burn in a week in the gym

Tbh I'm not really sure. I don't have an HRM and I generally don't go by what the treadmills say due to inaccuracy. An average workout for me on a weekend consists of 30mins of treadmill, 45 spinning and an hour of body pump. Or it could be 40mins treadmill (and I run at least 30mins of it on 11.5-11.8km/hr), half hour kettlebell class and then 45 spin. Basically I always do 45 cardio plus a class at the very very least. In terms of food, I have been eating a fair bit but this week I didn't go over my BMR on average and I still lost nothing. But apparently I look slimmer esp in my arms which were my major weakness:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbh I'm not really sure. I don't have an HRM and I generally don't go by what the treadmills say due to inaccuracy. An average workout for me on a weekend consists of 30mins of treadmill, 45 spinning and an hour of body pump. Or it could be 40mins treadmill (and I run at least 30mins of it on 11.5-11.8km/hr), half hour kettlebell class and then 45 spin. Basically I always do 45 cardio plus a class at the very very least. In terms of food, I have been eating a fair bit but this week I didn't go over my BMR on average and I still lost nothing. But apparently I look slimmer esp in my arms which were my major weakness:confused:

Looking at your stats and the fact that you are eating at BMR I know for sure that you are eating too little which is why you haven't lost any weight. Can I just ask outside of exercising do you travel alot, walk alot e.t.c due to being at uni and having no access to a car. Also how much do you currently weigh now?
Looking at your stats and the fact that you are eating at BMR I know for sure that you are eating too little which is why you haven't lost any weight. Can I just ask outside of exercising do you travel alot, walk alot e.t.c due to being at uni and having no access to a car. Also how much do you currently weigh now?

I drive into uni but I'd say I'm fairly active on a daily basis. I find it so difficult to eat alot but eat healthy at the same time if that makes sense. I think that maybe i'm just at the lowest weight that my body will go. I'm 5,5 and 8st6lbs (2 stone in total) so maybe I should stop obsessing. Tbh 8 stone is the lowest I can be before i'm apparently underweight. I know it was a stupid ultimate goal to set but I really wanted to reach it just to say that I did achieve it! I just don't look how my stats sound at all...
I drive into uni but I'd say I'm fairly active on a daily basis. I find it so difficult to eat alot but eat healthy at the same time if that makes sense. I think that maybe i'm just at the lowest weight that my body will go. I'm 5,5 and 8st6lbs (2 stone in total) so maybe I should stop obsessing. Tbh 8 stone is the lowest I can be before i'm apparently underweight. I know it was a stupid ultimate goal to set but I really wanted to reach it just to say that I did achieve it! I just don't look how my stats sound at all...

If you still want to lose weight I suggest increasing your calories up to 1800 - 2000 calories and then rely on the exercise to create the deficit needed to lose the weight.

I as you know also had a plateau and what broke it was increasing my calories to 2220 calories (my maintenance calories when lightly active) then burn 4000 calories a week in the gym. Since then I was able to go from being between 11st 4 - 11st 1 to 10st 12lbs at my last weigh in
Hey guys, I am trying to lose a bit of weight (more for appearance than the actual number), and increase muscle mass. I currently weigh just over 9 stone, and go to the gym 3 times a week, I mainly do weight lifting with little or no cardio (excluding warm up), I understand that cardio will help me to lose some of the fat, but I have heard that it will also make my weight training less effective. I have also completely changed my diet (from a lot of fatty foods, takeaways and snacks to healthy meals rich in protein every night-including fish and chicken), my only let down is my breakfasts, I am not a morning person, and tend to have to get up early for uni, so have those Belvita breakfast biscuits, I know this isn't very healthy, but they tend to fill me up until lunch, and I had figured I needed some sugar in my diet. I don't really enjoy eating bland foods (as I'm sure everyone doesn't), and the only healthy cereal seems to be bland-hence I don't have it, and I am also not very keen on eating eggs either. What could I do to improve my training, or to improve my diet?
Thanks guys!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 399
Today was quite naughty, but meh, its a sunday!!!

Breakfast: Toast (granary bread) With flora pro activ light
Lunch: Grilled chicken in Nandos marinate with home made coleslaw, two wholemeal pittas and some left over home made curry sauce from yesterday.
Tea: 2 squares of chocolate and peanut butter fudge made by my sister.

I did level two of 30DS so I don't feel as guilty, I'm going to the gym tomorrow which I'm looking forward to, I have a feeling this is going to be a good week!!!

Latest