The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham life - what's it really like? Comments would be really helpful!

I was hoping to hear from people who are/were at uni in Nottingham, or have lived there at some point.

I have an offer from Notts and loved the Uni when I visited, but didn't get a look around the city. The issue is that I've heard from various people, including a girl I work with who lived there for a few months, that it's a bad place to live.

Basically people saying it's got high violent crime rates, really bad racial tension etc.

I don't want it to put me off going there because I know what a great uni it is, and the night life and music scene sounds incredible.

So what is it really like?

(I've lived in boring suburban surrey all my life so not sure if i'm just hearing some kind of limited opinions - but I am really up for life in a big urban area.)

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Can't say I've lived there or even visited yet but from what I've heard everyone says "It's no different to any other big city" and that is something I know more about. I've lived around Newcastle all my life and couldn't imagine living away from a city. Crime rates are higher but you tend not to notice. Mostly you will only find trouble if you go looking for it.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sammy-lou
I was hoping to hear from people who are/were at uni in Nottingham, or have lived there at some point.

I have an offer from Notts and loved the Uni when I visited, but didn't get a look around the city. The issue is that I've heard from various people, including a girl I work with who lived there for a few months, that it's a bad place to live.

Basically people saying it's got high violent crime rates, really bad racial tension etc.

I don't want it to put me off going there because I know what a great uni it is, and the night life and music scene sounds incredible.

So what is it really like?

(I've lived in boring safe suburban surrey all my life so not sure if i'm just hearing some kind of limited opinions - but I am really up for life in a big urban area.)

Thanks!

What ****ed up people say this? :s-smilie:

Nottingham is the bestest, awesomest, safest, friendliest, nicest city in the galaxy.
Reply 3
Original post by Addam Martin
Can't say I've lived there or even visited yet but from what I've heard everyone says "It's no different to any other big city" and that is something I know more about. I've lived around Newcastle all my life and couldn't imagine living away from a city. Crime rates are higher but you tend not to notice. Mostly you will only find trouble if you go looking for it.

That's a very good point, I reckon I'm streetwise enough to take care of myself probably, haha.

Original post by py0alb
What ****ed up people say this? :s-smilie:

Nottingham is the bestest, awesomest, safest, friendliest, nicest city in the galaxy.

Ah, that's really nice to hear!
Crime I've heard from a college tutor, who is fairly well travelled and I think he's pretty reliable, but very opinionated so was unsure! Racial tension thing I heard was from an Asian girl I work with; I'm white British so would obviously have a different experience of this sort of thing from her, but yeah, she seemed to reckon that white, black and asian people all stuck in their ethnic groups and there was a lot of tension between these groups.

It just sounded bad from what I'd heard from some people, which to be honest was why I came here to ask, because it sounded kind of extreme!
Reply 4
i'm from nottingham, and it is amazing. as an ethnic minority, i can safely say that there is nearly no racial tension whatsoever. as for violent crime, that is very rare, unless you're in an area with a lot of local authority housing
Reply 5
Original post by sammy-lou
That's a very good point, I reckon I'm streetwise enough to take care of myself probably, haha.

Ah, that's really nice to hear!
Crime I've heard from a college tutor, who is fairly well travelled and I think he's pretty reliable, but very opinionated so was unsure! Racial tension thing I heard was from an Asian girl I work with; I'm white British so would obviously have a different experience of this sort of thing from her, but yeah, she seemed to reckon that white, black and asian people all stuck in their ethnic groups and there was a lot of tension between these groups.

It just sounded bad from what I'd heard from some people, which to be honest was why I came here to ask, because it sounded kind of extreme!

I lived there for 5 years in various areas and have visited my missus's parents there regularly since, and tbh, it is the obvious success of the racial integration in Nottingham that first convinced me that multiculturalism could work in this country.

Gang Crime was an issue in certain areas (St Anns, Meadows, Radford) and organised crime in Bestwood up to about 8-10 years ago. But now the Gunns are in jail, their organised crime network has disolved with them, and the gang problems have largely gone away - not that this would have affected the average man in the street one iota. I've walked through the roughest areas of Nottingham and felt perfectly safe.
Reply 6
Original post by s.a.u
i'm from nottingham, and it is amazing. as an ethnic minority, i can safely say that there is nearly no racial tension whatsoever. as for violent crime, that is very rare, unless you're in an area with a lot of local authority housing

Original post by py0alb
I lived there for 5 years in various areas and have visited my missus's parents there regularly since, and tbh, it is the obvious success of the racial integration in Nottingham that first convinced me that multiculturalism could work in this country.

Gang Crime was an issue in certain areas (St Anns, Meadows, Radford) and organised crime in Bestwood up to about 8-10 years ago. But now the Gunns are in jail, their organised crime network has disolved with them, and the gang problems have largely gone away - not that this would have affected the average man in the street one iota. I've walked through the roughest areas of Nottingham and felt perfectly safe.

You've both made my day! Thanks for taking the time to reply, been very reassuring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending