The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Official University of Leicester Firmers Thread 2012

Hello there,

Just thought it would be a good idea to make a thread for the Leicester Firmers of 2012! Just so we can talk, get to know each other etc all in preparation for us potentially going and meeting each other! So ...

Course:
Offer:
Which accommodation are you thinking of?:
Other offers:
A-Levels:
AS Grades(optional):

So for example, in my case
Course: LLB Law
Offer: AAB
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Probably John Fosters
Other offers: Exeter, Manchester, Bristol and Kent
A-Levels: Business Studies, English Lit, Politics, Psychology
AS Grades: AAAB

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you!! xx
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Course: Management Studies and Politics
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Either John Fosters or Nixon Court (because of its city location)
Other offers: Leicester(applied twice) Essex and Hertfordshire
A-Levels:Business Studies, Psychology and IT
AS Grades(optional): ABC

After how I performed in January, doubt I'll get in now :frown:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
coming from a current Fresher, good luck guys
Reply 3
Course: Medical Biochemistry
Offer:ABB
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: John Foster (would like to do the city living but I want to meet new people at the student village :smile: )
A-Levels: Bio,chem, maths, physics
AS Grades(optional): AAAAAA

Just firmed Leicester today :smile: Hope to see everyone there! :clap2:
Oh and looks like John Foster is a popular choice!
Reply 4
Course: American Studies (4 years)
Offer: ABB
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: John Foster/GMS/Beaumont :smile: somewhere with an ensuite :P
Other offers: Sussex, Swansea, Essex, Kent
A-Levels: History, Politics, Economics
AS Grades(optional): AAABB

i sent my reply today having spent yesterday at the university :smile:
Reply 5
Course: European Studies (French and ab initio Spanish )
Offer: ABB
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Oadby Village, somewhere ensuite and catered I hope
Other Offers: Bath, Nottingham, Southampton, Birmingham
A-Levels: History, Geography, French
AS Grades(optional): AAAAB

actualy, I'm not actually completely entitled to be on this thread ... yet.
I'm 99,9% sure I want to make Leicester my firm choice, but I am procrastinating and avoiding the decision haha.
I'm hoping putting this post up will make me do it !
Absolutley loved the Campus, city and course on the open day :smile:
Reply 6
Course: Communications, Media and Society Bsc
Offer: ABB (Already got the Bs :biggrin:)
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Beaumont Hall first then probably JoFo
Other Offers: Dmu, Brunel, Coventry
A-Levels: History, Media Studies, Geography

Bring on October!
Original post by Wreemo
Course: Communications, Media and Society Bsc
Offer: ABB (Already got the Bs :biggrin:)
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Beaumont Hall first then probably JoFo
Other Offers: Dmu, Brunel, Coventry
A-Levels: History, Media Studies, Geography

Bring on October!

oh sweet, i'm doing the same course as you. well I started in October but yeah...

if there's anything you want to know about it, feel free to ask :P
Reply 8
Original post by TheBlackMonster
oh sweet, i'm doing the same course as you. well I started in October but yeah...

Lol, get my hopes up why don't you!

How's the course going for you so far? Any highs and lows from what you've done so far? Also the last open day I went to there was something about moving to a new building that wasn't done yet? Apologies if there isn't a new building and i'm sounding insane :colondollar:

Thanks!
Course: Communications, Media and Society BSc
Offer: Pass access course with 30 credits at distinction.
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: GMS....but I really wanna be in the refurbished ones!!! or John Fosters (as long as it has an en suite and self catered)
Other Offers: Leicester, DMU And BCU

CAN NOT WAIT TILL OCTOBER 1ST woop woop!!! :banana2:

What's the reading list like? and how was freshers....what events did they have and what can we expect? lol

Original post by Wreemo

How's the course going for you so far? Any highs and lows from what you've done so far? Also the last open day I went to there was something about moving to a new building that wasn't done yet? Apologies if there isn't a new building and i'm sounding insane :colondollar:

Thanks!

I heard the same thing about the new building when I went in October (last year) the lady said they was just doing the final touches.
Course: History
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: John Foster with en-suite
Other Offers: Kent
A-Levels: History, Politics and Psychology
Reply 11
Course: Law LLB
Offer: AAA
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: Private
Other Offers: Nottingham, Keele, Huddersfield and Chester.
A Levels: English Lit, History, Sociology and General Studies.
Ahhh it's so nice to be able to reply to things like this :biggrin:

Course: English
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: John Fosters en-suite or GMS.
Other offers: QMUL, Leeds, Birmingham and Reading.
A-Levels: English Literature, History, Religious Studies and General Studies.
AS Grades(optional): AAAC

Hopefully see some of you in October, fingers crossed hahaha :colondollar:
Original post by Wreemo

Thanks!

The course is great, I love it. the only thing is that the course is like 60% people from China, Hong Kong or another asian country, then 30% are internationals from other places in Europe, etc and then only 10% are British. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't mean the course is easy but the people from China and Hong Kong dont speak or contribute much and they stick to themselves. But the people who I met on the course are amazing, they're the best people ever.

Highs = Only having around 8-9 contact hours a week, the people on your course since everyone who does this course is great, first year doesn't count so you can get by with a pass, studying something that is fun yet credible and of course, coming to Uni of Leicester :wink:

Lows = Deadline dates for essays, since they're really close to each other so you feel like you're doing a lot of work at once. Also the library is rubbish for core textbooks that you'll need and other people are really fast at snapping them up. A lot of the course is reading, so prepare for that. Lastly, the people who work in the offices in the department sucks, so expect everything with them to be slow (e.g. we didn't find out the timetable until the first day of uni even though everyone found out weeks before, not finding out exam marks until 2 months later and everyone else gets them 2 weeks later, etc)

Yeah, the Communications and Media department got a new building but you'll hardly ever be in there unless you're handing in work or going to see your personal tutor. They told us about the building like we are going to have lectures in there but it's mainly for office work and such.

Original post by BeautifullySimple
What's the reading list like? and how was freshers....what events did they have and what can we expect? lol

I heard the same thing about the new building when I went in October (last year) the lady said they was just doing the final touches.

Freshers Week was great, they had something on every day and it lasted for two weeks. to be fair, other uni's offered comedy nights and acts playing during freshers week like Gym Class Heroes and stuff but we just had clubbing on every night. so it's great if you like clubbing, otherwise meh. I've only been clubbing once before I came to uni but uni clubbing is great.

Reading list is tricky, because so far i've found out that each module is different in what you need to read. My first semester I did a module on Cinema, Media in Britain and Sociology so I bought a textbook for each module but now it's a waste since i'm never going to do cinema again.

buuut if you had to get a textbook, get Sociology by Fulcher and Scott since that will last your the entire first year since we have to do two modules in sociology.
The course is great, I love it. the only thing is that the course is like 60% people from China, Hong Kong or another asian country, then 30% are internationals from other places in Europe, etc and then only 10% are British. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't mean the course is easy but the people from China and Hong Kong dont speak or contribute much and they stick to themselves. But the people who I met on the course are amazing, they're the best people ever.

Highs = Only having around 8-9 contact hours a week, the people on your course since everyone who does this course is great, first year doesn't count so you can get by with a pass, studying something that is fun yet credible and of course, coming to Uni of Leicester :wink:

Lows = Deadline dates for essays, since they're really close to each other so you feel like you're doing a lot of work at once. Also the library is rubbish for core textbooks that you'll need and other people are really fast at snapping them up. A lot of the course is reading, so prepare for that. Lastly, the people who work in the offices in the department sucks, so expect everything with them to be slow (e.g. we didn't find out the timetable until the first day of uni even though everyone found out weeks before, not finding out exam marks until 2 months later and everyone else gets them 2 weeks later, etc)

Yeah, the Communications and Media department got a new building but you'll hardly ever be in there unless you're handing in work or going to see your personal tutor. They told us about the building like we are going to have lectures in there but it's mainly for office work and such.

Freshers Week was great, they had something on every day and it lasted for two weeks. to be fair, other uni's offered comedy nights and acts playing during freshers week like Gym Class Heroes and stuff but we just had clubbing on every night. so it's great if you like clubbing, otherwise meh. I've only been clubbing once before I came to uni but uni clubbing is great.

Reading list is tricky, because so far i've found out that each module is different in what you need to read. My first semester I did a module on Cinema, Media in Britain and Sociology so I bought a textbook for each module but now it's a waste since i'm never going to do cinema again.

buuut if you had to get a textbook, get Sociology by Fulcher and Scott since that will last your the entire first year since we have to do two modules in sociology.

WOW 8 to 9 contact hours that's really good!!! (but I guess there's loads of self study time) how's that broken down (in terms of like lectures, seminars, ect....) weekly? I'm confused about "the first year doesn't count..." part tho?:confused:

I'm kind of getting used to deadlines coming all at once with my access course so I suppose that won't be too much of a adjustment! (well I say I'm used to them....I expect them to all come in a lump....still haven't massed staying afloat lol) The lack of preparation in terms of the timetables and marks is a little worrying but maybe (hopefully) they've mastered it for this year!! as I'm over organised and anal when it comes to planing. :colondollar:

so do they not give you an actually reading list then....or is it more "here's your subjects go find a relevant book" sort of thing? Freshers week sounds fun...wish there was a little more variety instead of just clubbing buy hey!!

Thanks for all you help and sorry for the continuous wave of questions I'm pretty excited and eager to hear as much as I can (if that was as clear as day haha)
WOW 8 to 9 contact hours that's really good!!! (but I guess there's loads of self study time) how's that broken down (in terms of like lectures, seminars, ect....) weekly? I'm confused about "the first year doesn't count..." part tho?:confused:

I'm kind of getting used to deadlines coming all at once with my access course so I suppose that won't be too much of a adjustment! (well I say I'm used to them....I expect them to all come in a lump....still haven't massed staying afloat lol) The lack of preparation in terms of the timetables and marks is a little worrying but maybe (hopefully) they've mastered it for this year!! as I'm over organised and anal when it comes to planing. :colondollar:

so do they not give you an actually reading list then....or is it more "here's your subjects go find a relevant book" sort of thing? Freshers week sounds fun...wish there was a little more variety instead of just clubbing buy hey!!

Thanks for all you help and sorry for the continuous wave of questions I'm pretty excited and eager to hear as much as I can (if that was as clear as day haha)

Oh no that's absolutely fine. ask me as many questions as you want because I was stuck in the situation that you're in right now last year, I didn't have anyone to speak to doing this course so I was confused myself. I only wish I got paid for this :P

I'll give you examples of my first semester which I just completed. If you didn't know, there are two semesters in an academic year, and in each semester you'll be studying three modules. Think of a module as an A-Level subject, since you'll have to do two essays, a presentation and an exam for each module

So in my first semester, I had 7 hours of lectures and 3 hours of seminars. Each module had one hour of seminars involved.

The first year doesn't count which means that all you need to do is get over 40% (which is really easy since in first year, the markers are leniant) in your essay, presentation or exam. The marks that you get in the first year won't count towards your degree so just focus on passing.

It really does suck with the mediocrity of the Media and Comm office, but you and your friends will be in the same situation you won't feel as stressed out :P

They do give you a reading list actually, in each module that you study, they'll give you a handbook which contains a ton of books that you should read after each lecture. The only problem is that there's no one great textbook that will cover the readings for every week's lectures.

If you want some good books for the first semester, i'd recommend:
- Sociology by Fulcher and Scott
- Get Me a Murder a Day by Williams
- Film History: An Introduction by Thompson and Bordwell

Otherwise, use the library for other books that you'll need. Also, try and buy them second hand since it's cheaper and you'll probably end up selling them when it comes to the second semester.

I do like clubbing but I agree with you there should be more variety. It made me jealous that my friends had comedy nights and live bands playing haha.

But yeah, if there's anything you want to ask about or something you don't understand then just let me know :biggrin:
Oh no that's absolutely fine. ask me as many questions as you want because I was stuck in the situation that you're in right now last year, I didn't have anyone to speak to doing this course so I was confused myself. I only wish I got paid for this :P

I'll give you examples of my first semester which I just completed. If you didn't know, there are two semesters in an academic year, and in each semester you'll be studying three modules. Think of a module as an A-Level subject, since you'll have to do two essays, a presentation and an exam for each module

So in my first semester, I had 7 hours of lectures and 3 hours of seminars. Each module had one hour of seminars involved.

The first year doesn't count which means that all you need to do is get over 40% (which is really easy since in first year, the markers are leniant) in your essay, presentation or exam. The marks that you get in the first year won't count towards your degree so just focus on passing.

It really does suck with the mediocrity of the Media and Comm office, but you and your friends will be in the same situation you won't feel as stressed out :P

They do give you a reading list actually, in each module that you study, they'll give you a handbook which contains a ton of books that you should read after each lecture. The only problem is that there's no one great textbook that will cover the readings for every week's lectures.

If you want some good books for the first semester, i'd recommend:
- Sociology by Fulcher and Scott
- Get Me a Murder a Day by Williams
- Film History: An Introduction by Thompson and Bordwell

Otherwise, use the library for other books that you'll need. Also, try and buy them second hand since it's cheaper and you'll probably end up selling them when it comes to the second semester.

I do like clubbing but I agree with you there should be more variety. It made me jealous that my friends had comedy nights and live bands playing haha.

But yeah, if there's anything you want to ask about or something you don't understand then just let me know :biggrin:

THANK YOU!!!! I love your detailed answers!! totally puts me at ease to know more of what I'm walking in to...I've never done A levels but what you described basically sounds like most if the modules on my Access course :smile: I will DEFIANTLY be checking out them books you suggested *second tab open... Amazon* lol

I'm gonna be a pain now and ask one (hopefully final) question haha..... Accommodation: what's really the best one I've spent the better half of this morning/afternoon reading all the threads about it and the more I read the more I'm like ARRRRH!!!! :afraid:

For me self catered and an En suite are a MUST!!! I went to the open day in October last year and (I'm due for a visit day in march) Gilbert Murry (the refurbished block) really stood out for me and I fell in LOVE with the kitchen! John Fosters was nice too and so was the old RAF looking building. Though after reading all them threads I'm now totally confused haha!!
Reply 17

Thanks for the reply! I read your reply early this morning and was about to reply but then my common sense kicked in and I decided to reply after I get back from the Applicant open day at the uni :biggrin:

The new building is really nice and literally just smells of new. You can tell just how new it is from that! My only concern is that they said they plan to have most lectures/seminars in that building and seeing as it's off the main campus site, it kinda feels like we're missing out?

Apart from that, the course sounded amazinggg and the current students who were in the department were really helpful! The lecturers are really nice and friendly too. Mainly the Irish guy (Accent omg omg omg) and the Natasha one? She was so friendly and easy to chat to :colone:

THANK YOU!!!! I love your detailed answers!! totally puts me at ease to know more of what I'm walking in to...I've never done A levels but what you described basically sounds like most if the modules on my Access course :smile: I will DEFIANTLY be checking out them books you suggested *second tab open... Amazon* lol

I'm gonna be a pain now and ask one (hopefully final) question haha..... Accommodation: what's really the best one I've spent the better half of this morning/afternoon reading all the threads about it and the more I read the more I'm like ARRRRH!!!! :afraid:

For me self catered and an En suite are a MUST!!! I went to the open day in October last year and (I'm due for a visit day in march) Gilbert Murry (the refurbished block) really stood out for me and I fell in LOVE with the kitchen! John Fosters was nice too and so was the old RAF looking building. Though after reading all them threads I'm now totally confused haha!!

I really do wish you were at the applicant open day today in the department. All the other applicants were really quiet and shy. I was literally trying to create conversation with people. Hopefully in october people will be more lively then...

All your questions that you've asked were pretty much covered by the tutors and lecturers there :smile: Do you plan on going to one of the open days? I advise you do as they talk to you as if its a one to one session (But with people, if that makes sense!) Also the conversation about the course just makes you think of more questions to ask :colondollar:
Original post by Wreemo
Thanks for the reply! I read your reply early this morning and was about to reply but then my common sense kicked in and I decided to reply after I get back from the Applicant open day at the uni :biggrin:

The new building is really nice and literally just smells of new. You can tell just how new it is from that! My only concern is that they said they plan to have most lectures/seminars in that building and seeing as it's off the main campus site, it kinda feels like we're missing out?

Apart from that, the course sounded amazinggg and the current students who were in the department were really helpful! The lecturers are really nice and friendly too. Mainly the Irish guy (Accent omg omg omg) and the Natasha one? She was so friendly and easy to chat to :colone:

I really do wish you were at the applicant open day today in the department. All the other applicants were really quiet and shy. I was literally trying to create conversation with people. Hopefully in october people will be more lively then...

All your questions that you've asked were pretty much covered by the tutors and lecturers there :smile: Do you plan on going to one of the open days? I advise you do as they talk to you as if its a one to one session (But with people, if that makes sense!) Also the conversation about the course just makes you think of more questions to ask :colondollar:

:colondollar: Lol. Oh dear!! thank you....but I'm really quite shy myself so I probably would have been like them too. Yes I'm booked on the March 10th one as it was the only Saturday and my little sister would literally killed me if I visited again and she didn't come...me and my mum have been raving about it since October hahah!! I'll be sure to write down all of the questions I've bombarded the poor people on the countless threads I've joined so I can ask the lectures lol. :colondollar:

I wish I could help with accommodation but I pretty much suck in this department haha. I live in Oadby but I didn't get what I wanted at all. I applied for self-catered premium room at JoFo but I got catered premium at Beaumont. I made five other choices for my accommodation and I got none of them. This was only a week after the deadline opened for accommodation.

All I can say is, don't expect to get what you signed up for.

Saying that, i'm extremely grateful that I got catered now since the first couple of months in uni you're still settling down so it's great to have meals cooked for you. Now, it's a bit of a hassle since your whole day is based on when you have crappy canteen meals.

The best accommodation? John Foster, no doubt. If anywhere, try and get accommodation in the Student Village!

Good luck getting self-catered and ensuite though, but as I said before, don't get your hopes up too high. I was angry when I got given this option but in the end, it turned out to be decent.

Also Natasha Whiteman is the best, she gave us a lecture about video games and she's a really nice and bubbly person. Not sure about the Irish guy though, I don't think i've had an Irish lecturer before.

Original post by Wreemo

Ah right, I hope you liked the open day. When I was going to walk upstairs to the girls rooms, I saw a massive bunch of parents and students going up the stairs and I was awkwardly waiting for them to pass, with them giving me weird looks haha.

I'm shocked you visited the building. Did they take you there or did you visit there afterwards? Because there's nothing really to show haha, they did say that they would have lectures and seminars there but there's no way they can have lectures there.

Currently most of my lectures are in different buildings around campus so I wouldn't worry about being too shut off.

Did they have any first year current students there? I don't think there are any ambassadors/reps for 1st year BSc Media and Comm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending