University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Official University of Leicester Firmers Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Wreemo
Just did a little search of the house and my Dad has been clinging on to the original offer letter that we receieved and that has the ID number so i've had it all along! :colondollar:

Just applied now, everything's sorted which is good :biggrin:

But apparently, they arent going to do squat with your application until you get your scores. which sucks, but w/e.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Firmed Leicester today after going to the applicant visit day and being very impressed (aka I was like a fangirl for the uni on my trains home)
Doing biological sciences - Hopefully leading onto zoology but you never know what I might decide when I'm there!
As for accomodation, I was thinking Bowder Court, as self catering is a must for me and I kinda fell in love with the kitchen just a little bit...
(vegan who also loves to bake... srsly, get a floor with me, you should expect cookies Vegan-Style)
Original post by Ice-Zero
But apparently, they arent going to do squat with your application until you get your scores. which sucks, but w/e.

Sorry to interupt here but scores? Dya mean grades?
Reply 143
Original post by Ice-Zero

Yes this is correct, your allocated accommodation is revealed on results day (If you've been accepted into the uni ofc). Friends of mine last year found out in August, it does indeed suck :/

Original post by Manisha93
Sorry to interupt here but scores? Dya mean grades?

Yes he means your final A level grades :smile:
Reply 144
so if they don't allocate you accommodation until august, is there really any need for me to apply now?
Reply 145
Original post by emtay1994
so if they don't allocate you accommodation until august, is there really any need for me to apply now?

They don't allocate it until august. What they will do is process it, read the stuff about what time you get up etc., put into a system and have your place provisionally there; so on results day a computer can just remove all the people who missed offers, move people up a choice if there first becomes available due to this and send you the letter pretty much immediately.

Also I don't now if anyone (any current students who've worked in accommodation admin over summer out there?) knows the exact system (ie. how much account they take of your additional info when deciding who you'll live with) or how much it's first come first served, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. And if you're first choice is full, even taking into account your personality stuff, when you apply you won't get it.
Reply 146
Course: LLB Law
Offer: Distinction* x3
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: applied for GMS, Beaumont and John Fosters (mixture of catered/ self catered and all with ensuite)
Other offers: Newcastle, UEA, Kent and Hertfordshire

I am currently doing a BTEC in business/ finance and law!
Original post by roh
They don't allocate it until august. What they will do is process it, read the stuff about what time you get up etc., put into a system and have your place provisionally there; so on results day a computer can just remove all the people who missed offers, move people up a choice if there first becomes available due to this and send you the letter pretty much immediately.

Also I don't now if anyone (any current students who've worked in accommodation admin over summer out there?) knows the exact system (ie. how much account they take of your additional info when deciding who you'll live with) or how much it's first come first served, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. And if you're first choice is full, even taking into account your personality stuff, when you apply you won't get it.

... what?
I'm not applying to accommodation provided by the university, I've applied to live in accommodation that actually provides for both of the Leicester universities as it's closer to the city centre. The application was fairly straight forward but let me get this straight, when you apply for the accommodation provided by the university they do some sort of personality test? What do they ask you?
Reply 148
Original post by sliceofcake
... what?
I'm not applying to accommodation provided by the university, I've applied to live in accommodation that actually provides for both of the Leicester universities as it's closer to the city centre. The application was fairly straight forward but let me get this straight, when you apply for the accommodation provided by the university they do some sort of personality test? What do they ask you?

No, it's not a personality test, save that for graduate jobs! In my year it was stuff like what time you got up/went to bed (because some students are practically nocturnal and makes sense for them to live together); what my hobbies and interests were (on the basis you're more likely to get on with people who share your interests); might have been one about how often you go out (to avoid putting some teetotallers in with the rugby lads or some other combination likely to cause friction) but can't really remember. That was it, box asking if there was any extra info you wanted to add.

The thinking behind it is people who have similar interests, social habits and are awake at the same times are more likely to get on well together and thus enjoy their fresher year.

It works too, my 3 of my 4 best mates are the three people who lived closest to me in first year, the other lived down the corridor.

They may have removed that now for all I know (I don't get to see this year's application obviously), but it'd create a headache for the university as more people will be disgruntled with the behaviour of their halls mates (maxilads and teetotallers for example), want to transfer after a few weeks and thus provide a headache for the accommodation office.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by roh
No, it's not a personality test, save that for graduate jobs! In my year it was stuff like what time you got up/went to bed (because some students are practically nocturnal and makes sense for them to live together); what my hobbies and interests were (on the basis you're more likely to get on with people who share your interests); might have been one about how often you go out (to avoid putting some teetotallers in with the rugby lads or some other combination likely to cause friction) but can't really remember. That was it, box asking if there was any extra info you wanted to add.

The thinking behind it is people who have similar interests, social habits and are awake at the same times are more likely to get on well together and thus enjoy their fresher year.

It works too, my 3 of my 4 best mates are the three people who lived closest to me in first year, the other lived down the corridor.

Ah, I see now! That's a really good idea, if it wasn't for the fact I specified who I want to live with I'd be disappointed that my application didn't ask such questions.
Reply 150
Original post by roh

They may have removed that now for all I know (I don't get to see this year's application obviously), but it'd create a headache for the university as more people will be disgruntled with the behaviour of their halls mates (maxilads and teetotallers for example), want to transfer after a few weeks and thus provide a headache for the accommodation office.

Pretty sure that's been removed now, all it says is if you want to specify your interests add them in the additional info section.
Reply 151
Original post by darko123
Pretty sure that's been removed now, all it says is if you want to specify your interests add them in the additional info section.

yes, it only asked me for your interests, which was optional to put in...

so im not sure how they will do it this time round
Original post by pepper_pie
Firmed Leicester today after going to the applicant visit day and being very impressed (aka I was like a fangirl for the uni on my trains home)
Doing biological sciences - Hopefully leading onto zoology but you never know what I might decide when I'm there!
As for accomodation, I was thinking Bowder Court, as self catering is a must for me and I kinda fell in love with the kitchen just a little bit...
(vegan who also loves to bake... srsly, get a floor with me, you should expect cookies Vegan-Style)

Hey! I've firmed (generic) biological sciences too! Also thinking of going down the zoology route but, same as you, keeping my options open!

Accom- HAS to be self-catered as I love cooking and would like the freedom of eating whenever I like lol

Not sure which one! Which one is Bowder Court? Is that part of city living? I'm leaning towards city living just because it's mainly self-catered and it's so close to the uni!
Reply 153
Original post by Larsson
yes, it only asked me for your interests, which was optional to put in...

so im not sure how they will do it this time round

Ah OK. I can see why they may have changed it because it used to lead to people not getting wither of their first two choices and people used to get quite annoyed about that. Also, each hall does attract a certain type of person to put it first, I think, due to their respective reputations so that provides some sorting. I wouldn't have done it personally but I can see why they might have if they were getting inundated each August with people complaining they got Lasdun when they applied for JoFo.
Original post by inspiration91
Hey! I've firmed (generic) biological sciences too! Also thinking of going down the zoology route but, same as you, keeping my options open!

Accom- HAS to be self-catered as I love cooking and would like the freedom of eating whenever I like lol

Not sure which one! Which one is Bowder Court? Is that part of city living? I'm leaning towards city living just because it's mainly self-catered and it's so close to the uni!

Ooooh can't wait to see you there! I think I did put the zoology on UCAS (If only to make my personal statement easier) but its really easy to transfer between the degrees after the first year anyway, as its the same for everyone. Thats one of the reasons I firmed Leicester, as since we have started the genetics sections at school I've been in love ( I think I fall in love with non human things easily; universitys, courses, genetics, kitchens.... )
Ahh ! Bowder court was part of GMS, visited there on the applicant visit day, and while the building outside wasn't as prettyfull, the kitchen and rooms were drool worthy (IMO anyways =D). I looked at city living, if only because I know I would lose the bus pass, but I doubt I'd be social if not bunged in with other first years. I'd just be a lil' hermit! This way, I have less chance of ignoring the outside world I guess ^.^
Reply 155
I've firmed my unconditional medicine offer so shall be seeing y'all in September :smile: I've also been allocated my accommodation which is pretty exciting/strange as it's not at all what I imagined. Ah well...I'm excited! :smile:
Reply 156
Also does anyone know of A Leicester 2012 Freshers facebook page yet? I know DMU and a couple of other unis have them set up for firmers, am I missing Leicesters or has it just not been made yet?
Original post by pepper_pie
Ooooh can't wait to see you there! I think I did put the zoology on UCAS (If only to make my personal statement easier) but its really easy to transfer between the degrees after the first year anyway, as its the same for everyone. Thats one of the reasons I firmed Leicester, as since we have started the genetics sections at school I've been in love ( I think I fall in love with non human things easily; universitys, courses, genetics, kitchens.... )
Ahh ! Bowder court was part of GMS, visited there on the applicant visit day, and while the building outside wasn't as prettyfull, the kitchen and rooms were drool worthy (IMO anyways =D). I looked at city living, if only because I know I would lose the bus pass, but I doubt I'd be social if not bunged in with other first years. I'd just be a lil' hermit! This way, I have less chance of ignoring the outside world I guess ^.^

Haha okay cool! :smile: Just applied for accommodation!! Sooo excited! My first choice is Nixon Court, self-catered, just because I LOVE cooking and it's so close to the uni- lie ins for the win!! xD

I'm sure I'll meet some people at Oadby so I'll probably visit people there! :smile:

Have you applied for accom yet? :smile:
Reply 158
Original post by saecire
Also does anyone know of A Leicester 2012 Freshers facebook page yet? I know DMU and a couple of other unis have them set up for firmers, am I missing Leicesters or has it just not been made yet?

i had a search and i dont think there is one yet....

someone should make one :smile:
Reply 159
Just putting my two cents in, as I finally decided on Leicester today :biggrin:

Course: French and Italian
Offer:ABB
Which accommodation are you thinking of?: LEaning towards Beaumont. I'm a sucker for the gardens.
Other offers: Kent, Essex
A-Levels: French, German, English Literature
AS Grades: AAAA (History at AS)

Ahh, I'm so excited now that I've decided, it's starting to feel very real :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest