The Student Room Group

Deaf Teens: Hearing World

This was on at 9pm today, on BBC3. I'm wondering what your views were on the programme?
I personally can't comment for reasons which I will explain later.

P.S if you missed it, it's on BBC iPlayer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it was alright..
what is your reasons?
Reply 2
I just watched it today.
I thought it was quite a good insight in to a deaf persons way of life.
I hadn't really thought about it until watching it.
Original post by HotfireLegend
This was on at 9pm today, on BBC3. I'm wondering what your views were on the programme?
I personally can't comment for reasons which I will explain later.

P.S if you missed it, it's on BBC iPlayer.

I just finished watching it, and I thought it was quite good. The teenagers had an interesting mix of different situations and overall I thought it was entertaining but still informative :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tanker23
it was alright..
what is your reasons?

I'm deaf ^.^ - thus, bias in my response if I commented.

I thought it was all right. It wasn't brilliant to hear that someone thought cochlears on the side of the head looked ugly. But I guess you'll get people like that in all walks of life.

My favourite part was the canteen. Pretty enlightening, true and it had good use of camera angles and such.

I thought it was all right. It wasn't brilliant to hear that someone thought cochlears on the side of the head looked ugly. But I guess you'll get people like that in all walks of life.

My favourite part was the canteen. Pretty enlightening, true and it had good use of camera angles and such.

Ah cool, BSL user/lip-reader?

You get different opinions on everything, there's not a lot you can do. I did think it was interesting how they'd got 2 very different opinions though from the deaf community about the cochlears.
Reply 6
Original post by Witty Username
Ah cool, BSL user/lip-reader?

You get different opinions on everything, there's not a lot you can do. I did think it was interesting how they'd got 2 very different opinions though from the deaf community about the cochlears.

Almost entirely oral, I have a cochlear implant. I do BSL a bit with other deaf people, but I'm not skilled in it. Lip-reading's hard since everyone moves their lips differently for the same word!

Yeah, it was.
Almost entirely oral, I have a cochlear implant. I do BSL a bit with other deaf people, but I'm not skilled in it. Lip-reading's hard since everyone moves their lips differently for the same word!

Yeah, it was.

One of my close friends is deaf, she uses hearing aids but mostly relies on lip reading which astounds me because, as you've said, it's so hard!
I did try to learn BSL during my gap year, but also found it incredibly hard mostly because I don't have any friends who can sign to practice with :frown:

How long have you had your cochlear for?
Reply 8
One of my close friends is deaf, she uses hearing aids but mostly relies on lip reading which astounds me because, as you've said, it's so hard!
I did try to learn BSL during my gap year, but also found it incredibly hard mostly because I don't have any friends who can sign to practice with :frown:

How long have you had your cochlear for?

Hmm, I've probably had it for 14 years. The model changes every couple of years, and is currently on version 5 I believe.
Hey, your friend has a lot of perseverance for putting up with that! How long has she had the hearing aids for?
BSL doesn't really have to be learnt with other signers, though admittedly, that helps. Think BSL more something like how actions come in place of words.
Hmm, I've probably had it for 14 years. The model changes every couple of years, and is currently on version 5 I believe.
Hey, your friend has a lot of perseverance for putting up with that! How long has she had the hearing aids for?
BSL doesn't really have to be learnt with other signers, though admittedly, that helps. Think BSL more something like how actions come in place of words.

Not too sure, I've only known her since we were about 10, and I know she wasn't born deaf but I'm pretty sure she's been deaf since she was quite little. Yeah, she must have a lot of patience!

Yeah, but like you said it's easier. I find if I can't practice it, I forget it remarkably quickly.
Reply 10
Not too sure, I've only known her since we were about 10, and I know she wasn't born deaf but I'm pretty sure she's been deaf since she was quite little. Yeah, she must have a lot of patience!

Yeah, but like you said it's easier. I find if I can't practice it, I forget it remarkably quickly.

Oh? I don't forget it quickly at all, despite not actually doing it properly! :P (I never really learnt the proper language, but people understand me well enough the way I do it, so...)
Oh? I don't forget it quickly at all, despite not actually doing it properly! :P (I never really learnt the proper language, but people understand me well enough the way I do it, so...)

Fair enough, I think it's just my memory! :smile:
Reply 12
Fair enough, I think it's just my memory! :smile:

Haha, well, enjoy!
Reply 13

I am Deaf as well and I thought it was overrated.
Reply 14
Original post by tanker23
I am Deaf as well and I thought it was overrated.

The cochlears or program?
I watched this on iPlayer a few days ago. The most interesting part for me was the family who were all profoundly deaf and solely used sign language.
Good program :smile: How that girl could talk much better than the others was quite amazing.
Reply 17
I thought it was quite interesting.
Reply 18
Apparently the 'my chicken is ill' excuse has gone viral 0_o
Reply 19
Apparently the 'my chicken is ill' excuse has gone viral 0_o

Hahaha it was a great excuse though.:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest