The Student Room Group

Loss of a pet

I know some people might look at this and find it strange and hard to understahnd, but i recently lost a very loved cat in a traffic accident and am devestated. He was only 7 months old and was the most adorable and loving cat I have ever met. He was always after cuddles and fusses and I'm going to miss him more than I can explain. :frown: I was wondering if anyone else had any any similar experiences and if you had any advice on how to make the greiving process easier?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Grieve for them, miss them, cry, keep a photo near your bed etc. Do lots of things to take your mind off it. Maybe get a new cat in a couple weeks, and get to know it and maybe that one will be just a good a friend?

i though about getting a new cat but when i talked to my mum about it she pointed out that it'll just be too hard if anything were to happen to it and she doesn't want to go through this again. I'v got his collar tied around my bed and his favorite toy in my bedside table. It's strange though because when I told my best friend she couldn't understand what i was so upset about :dontknow:
i know how you feel - i have lost a 2 cats in this way, both very young. It does seem really unfair and horrible, and especially worse when other people think you are being sillly and over reacting. Take your time grieving, and dont bother about what other people think. As in most situations, time is the best healer, and eventually you will be able to think about your cat and be happy over the fond memories you have. Hope you feel a bit better soon
xx
Reply 3
Firebird
Grieve for them, miss them, cry, keep a photo near your bed etc. Do lots of things to take your mind off it. Maybe get a new cat in a couple weeks, and get to know it and maybe that one will be just a good a friend?

Talk about contradiction? How can you keep a photo near you bed yet try to keep your mind off it?
I lost my pet dog about a year ago, for about a month it really upset me and i got freaked out cuz he was buried in my garden but after a while you get over, but then again my dog died of old age(We'd had him since I was 1 and I was 17 when he died) so its kind of different. Like the above says, dont feel stupid to get upset about it.
Reply 4
Firebird

LOL. So the stuff in bold is supposed to be an answer to the proposition in red!? :p: Personally, I'd find doing all of those things would keep me focussed on it! But each to their own I guess. :smile:
Reply 5
.:fluff:.
i thought about getting a new cat but when i talked to my mum about it she pointed out that it'll just be too hard if anything were to happen to it and she doesn't want to go through this again.

It's difficult to get another pet after the loss of one, it can make people less likely to invest their emotions in another one since their emotions of loss are so recent and strong. But if you don't get a new pet, then you'll never experience the joys of such an animal again. Time will make things easier, then maybe you could try and ask again for another pet? That's if you still want one :smile:.
Reply 6
Awww :hugs: my bunny got eaten my a big bad wolf...okay, a fox..but still. I have to admit i was devastated..and cried for AGES..even tho he was 'only a bunny'. You just sorta miss having them to play with and something soft to cuddle etc.. (sorry, im not as pathetic as i sound) Makes me feel so guilty when i used to be like 'oh dad feed the bunny cos i cant be bothered' and now i miss having something to look after, after having him around for 5 years. But you'll get used to it. I wanted a new one, but you cant replace HIM. also, im going to uni in a few months so its a bit pointless :p:
Reply 7
Awww my bunny got eaten my a big bad wolf...okay, a fox..but still. I have to admit i was devastated..and cried for AGES..even tho he was 'only a bunny'. You just sorta miss having them to play with and something soft to cuddle etc.. (sorry, im not as pathetic as i sound) Makes me feel so guilty when i used to be like 'oh dad feed the bunny cos i cant be bothered' and now i miss having something to look after, after having him around for 5 years. But you'll get used to it. I wanted a new one, but you cant replace HIM. also, im going to uni in a few months so its a bit pointless

He wasn't 'only a bunny' he was your bunny, and that makes a big difference I know, lol. Im fed up of people saying 'it's only a cat' but if you don't get attatched to animals andreally close to them i suppose it's hard to understand why anyone else would.

It's difficult to get another pet after the loss of one, it can make people less likely to invest their emotions in another one since their emotions of loss are so recent and strong. But if you don't get a new pet, then you'll never experience the joys of such an animal again. Time will make things easier, then maybe you could try and ask again for another pet? That's if you still want one

I know what you mean but if i got a new pet i'd feel like i was trying to replace him, and as Jen said, i just can't replace him. I know we'll get another cat because me and my mum take rescue cats in, but at the minute it just seems so horrible to replace him. I know what you mean though, it's a good idea. maybe i'll buy a mouse or a hampster and then that way I'm not replacing him, but i have something i can love and look after just as much :smile:
I completely understand; only those who themselves have pets can understand this. I'm so sorry for your loss. About two years ago, I had the most beautiful jack Russel- because we'd given him so much love, he behaved more like a baby than an animal- probably no diffferent to your cat. He too, was killed by a car. I was utterly devastated and coming home every evening wasnt the same, because he wasn't there to greet me.

Don't feel embarrassed- animals give you unconditional love whenever you want a cuddle. For this reason, and you won't like this, but you should think about getting a new cat. Believe me, I utterly adored my dog, but a year later, we bought another Jack Russel. We learnt from our mistakes- he's not allowed out of the house and, due to the loss of our first, we love him even more. As a result he's the most beautiful animal in he world- I completely adore him!

When we lost the first one, I vowed never to love another pet. But I do. Our new dog wasn't meant to replace the first, but pets really do become the centre of the family and they're lovely to have around. I'm sure you know what I mean. In the meantime, continue to greive, just as you would do for a relative, but think about what I've said. Take care.
Reply 9
.:fluff:.
maybe i'll buy a mouse or a hampster and then that way I'm not replacing him, but i have something i can love and look after just as much :smile:

Or a dog maybe? I'm not sure whether I will get a pet in the future, if so, it would most likely be a dog. Maybe like milo, the dog in the mask (if anyone remembers that).
Anyway...
I lost my German Sheperd on the day of the London attacks so all in all it was a crap day. She was a lovely dog, and although they've never spoken to you or anything like that you get used to them being there. We have another dog and it's weird just having one dog.
Reply 11

I've never had a cat but it must be horrible to loose your pet in such an unexpected way. Don't let anyone tell you you can't be upset, or how you should behave. People react differently. In time it will become less painful. Maybe your friend just doesn't understand how upsetting it is, but she could still be sympathetic. Hope you begin to feel better soon.
Reply 12
I know how you feel - i was so upset when my cat died a few years ago - she was 18, and had been there since before i was born, so it was so weird her not being around. I wouldn't recommend replacing him just yet, but maybe in a few months or a year, as at the moment you probably wouldn't be able to look at the new one without thinking of him/her as a replacement - I know I wouldn't have been able to if we'd got another cat soon after she died.
Reply 13
I completely understand; only those who themselves have pets can understand this. I'm so sorry for your loss. About two years ago, I had the most beautiful jack Russel- because we'd given him so much love, he behaved more like a baby than an animal- probably no diffferent to your cat. He too, was killed by a car. I was utterly devastated and coming home every evening wasnt the same, because he wasn't there to greet me.

Don't feel embarrassed- animals give you unconditional love whenever you want a cuddle. For this reason, and you won't like this, but you should think about getting a new cat. Believe me, I utterly adored my dog, but a year later, we bought another Jack Russel. We learnt from our mistakes- he's not allowed out of the house and, due to the loss of our first, we love him even more. As a result he's the most beautiful animal in he world- I completely adore him!

When we lost the first one, I vowed never to love another pet. But I do. Our new dog wasn't meant to replace the first, but pets really do become the centre of the family and they're lovely to have around. I'm sure you know what I mean. In the meantime, continue to greive, just as you would do for a relative, but think about what I've said. Take care.

He really was like a child to us, he was even called Baby lol. He was so spoilt, he had more toys than i had when i was a baby! :rolleyes: :p: I think everyone is right about getting a new cat, i probably will but just not yet. I have another 2 cats, and although i love them to bits Baby was just special, he had a really loud and bright personality and he was so special, hes certainly never going to be forgotten!

So by that logic we shouldn't be upset when anyone dies because none of us are going to live forever. Really, maybe you should think before you post retarded posts like that.

Anyway...
I lost my German Sheperd on the day of the London attacks so all in all it was a crap day. She was a lovely dog, and although they've never spoken to you or anything like that you get used to them being there. We have another dog and it's weird just having one dog.

It always seems like bad luck comes together. My dads car was broken into and I had my bag, purse, phone and other belongings stolen the night before he died, i was just hoping bad luck didn't come in threes...I'm sorry to hear about your dog :frown:

I've never had a cat but it must be horrible to loose your pet in such an unexpected way. Don't let anyone tell you you can't be upset, or how you should behave. People react differently. In time it will become less painful. Maybe your friend just doesn't understand how upsetting it is, but she could still be sympathetic. Hope you begin to feel better soon.

In a way i don't know whether it's easier losing him in an unexpected way or if he died from an illness. It might sound strange but just talking about it on here is making me feel better...in fact i'm going to post some pictures of him so everyone knows who I'm talking about..:smile:

snuggled up with my teddy bears

lounging on the sofa with my mum

being a little bugger when we first got him
aww hes gorgous, reminds me of my cats when they were little. Ignore the people who say he was only a cat, you do what you need to deal with it. I know I would be gutted if my cats died, and I dont even get to see them much anymore being at uni, but I miss them!
These are my cats by the way
Reply 16
He looks lovely :smile: I lost my cat- called FlipFlop last year in a car accident (by my neighbour which just made it worse :frown: ) I got her when I did my work experience at the local vet and it was literally love at first sight! When I got her home she would follow me everywhere and if i left the house she'd be there. So if i went to get the bus at 6:15am she would climb into a tree and wait until I got home at 6:30- no jokes! She also draped herslef around my nexy if it was cold like a scarf- or around my shoulders if it was juat warm! So you can imagine what a HUGE gap she left in my life. The only thing I can say is that you are not weird and that anyone who has pets should understand- All I did was cry and luckily i have another cat called Mia who i could cuddle- they didn't even get on but Mia pined for AGES!!!! The one weird thing was that for quite a few weeks afterwards i would look up and see FlipFlop sitting next to me when there was nothing there- or she'd be walking in front of me- I am not a superstitious person or anything but it was nice to see her! I also scattered her ashes in my back garden so it's like she always there. Good luck, and i would suggets getting another pet- even if it was a fish because it is nice to have something to look at etc. though fihs are obviously less exciting than a moggie!

Incidentally i just had to RESCUE Mia as she attmepted to climba radiator and got stuck- hanging there scrabbling!!! :biggrin:
Awww have a big hug from me!! My first cat Elvis died about a year after we got him and I was so upset. He somehow drowned in the pond....never really too sure what happend. But the pond was soon after filled in. We soon after got another cat and other (3 now in total) he won't ever be forgotten but with time it becomes less as your life changes.

I wouldn't get a new cat straight away as you might not bond with them as they aren't you original cat (sorry I'm not sure if he had a name on here) or you might bond with them too much and smother them.

Maybe something to do would be to volunteer at a rescue place if you have one near you and you can get used to be around lots of kittens and cats who need lots of love....and you won't get so attatched then when you feel ready you will end up with one.
Mine found me through friends' cats ending up having kittens!!

Remember him fondly but allow yourself to move on and don't feel guilty huggles xxx
Reply 18
Have a big hug from me too. Losing pets is horrible, they become such an integral part of your life. They are like family and cats can be so lovely and I'm sure you'll miss your baby. You have to allow yourself to grieve and not worry about being upset, people won't understand necceserily and even though it isn't like losing a person it's still a very sad and difficult time. Especially considering you'd had bad luck with the break in too.

Maybe make a photo album or just collect your photos together so you can keep them as memories. Don't get a new cat just as like a rebound, you need to be ready to have another one in the future rather than rush it so you can give him/her lots of love and affection.
Reply 19
aww hes gorgous, reminds me of my cats when they were little. Ignore the people who say he was only a cat, you do what you need to deal with it. I know I would be gutted if my cats died, and I dont even get to see them much anymore being at uni, but I miss them!

aww your cats are gorgeous! :smile:

He looks lovely I lost my cat- called FlipFlop last year in a car accident (by my neighbour which just made it worse ) I got her when I did my work experience at the local vet and it was literally love at first sight! When I got her home she would follow me everywhere and if i left the house she'd be there. So if i went to get the bus at 6:15am she would climb into a tree and wait until I got home at 6:30- no jokes! She also draped herslef around my nexy if it was cold like a scarf- or around my shoulders if it was juat warm! So you can imagine what a HUGE gap she left in my life. The only thing I can say is that you are not weird and that anyone who has pets should understand- All I did was cry and luckily i have another cat called Mia who i could cuddle- they didn't even get on but Mia pined for AGES!!!! The one weird thing was that for quite a few weeks afterwards i would look up and see FlipFlop sitting next to me when there was nothing there- or she'd be walking in front of me- I am not a superstitious person or anything but it was nice to see her! I also scattered her ashes in my back garden so it's like she always there. Good luck, and i would suggets getting another pet- even if it was a fish because it is nice to have something to look at etc. though fihs are obviously less exciting than a moggie!

awww she sounds just like Baby, he would come and run and sit on my knee as soon as i got in from work and he'd follow me around everywhere!It's weird that you say that, because i have another ginger cat whos 19 and when i see him i sometimes think I'm seeing Baby, he always used to pounce on Jasper and annoy him and Jasper would just look at him with his nose up in the air as if to say "hmph, how immature.." :p:

Awww have a big hug from me!! My first cat Elvis died about a year after we got him and I was so upset. He somehow drowned in the pond....never really too sure what happend. But the pond was soon after filled in. We soon after got another cat and other (3 now in total) he won't ever be forgotten but with time it becomes less as your life changes.

I wouldn't get a new cat straight away as you might not bond with them as they aren't you original cat (sorry I'm not sure if he had a name on here) or you might bond with them too much and smother them.

Maybe something to do would be to volunteer at a rescue place if you have one near you and you can get used to be around lots of kittens and cats who need lots of love....and you won't get so attatched then when you feel ready you will end up with one.
Mine found me through friends' cats ending up having kittens!!

Remember him fondly but allow yourself to move on and don't feel guilty huggles xxx

ahhh that must have been horrible :frown: He was called Baby (we couldn't think of a name so called him Baby because he was the smallest and in the end it was all he'd answer to!). Me and my mum take in a lot of rescue cats so i think i'm just going to throw myself into that and share my love. I'll always remeber him, goin to feel bad when i go to uni next year and i have to leave him behind though :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending