Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swimming thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a swimming thread? if not then here's one.

I'm getting back into swimming for the first time in about 4 years. All because I stupidly agreed to doing a 5k swimathon in April.

First training session today I managed just over 0.5k. Not a good start lol.

Anyone else enjoy swimming? I used to do really well at endurance swims at school.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been swimming for a few months. Back in 2010 (when I did no exercise at all), I started to go swimming after (and occasionally, before) work. I slowly began to remember what I had learned as a child, and managed to re-teach myself how to front crawl. I used to swim a mile at a time at least twice, usually three times a week, but after a while I began to get bored, and decided to take running more seriously instead. I do enjoy swimming but running takes precedence- once I've met my running goals I'll probably go back to swimming again and try and improve/take it more seriously. 500m is not a bad start at all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to swim a lot when I was younger (the longest swim I did was 2.5 miles when I was about 12/13), and after at least 4 years break I found I built my stamina up quite quickly once I got back into it! However, I really struggled to do much front crawl - mostly breaststroke. I also slacked off for the last year or so again and earlier this week I just about managed 50 lengths when before I used to do 64 (1 mile) as a minimum, but I alternated from breaststroke/front crawl every length so I think the other exercises I do have strengthened my arms/shoulders. I'm going twice a week from now on so will hopefully get back up to speed soon.

Good look in the swimathon! I've had a look at those recently, might sign up for one if the next couple of weeks go well, haha. At least it'd give me some motivation to stick to it!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    Just started swimming again in preparation for my first triathlon this year. I use to swim for my local team but gave it up which I seriously regret as I was quite good I took up cycling instead and got into it competitively so that should help with the triathlons Actually leaving in 10 minutes for the pool, try and do a few laps.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    An update.

Managed 1k today with 40 lengths of the pool in about 40 mins. Getting back into it. Seriously need to invest in a swimming cap, my hair was escapiing the bob I put it into =/

And left my goggles behind. Ffs, hope no-one has nicked them.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm a Swimmer.

That is all.

:creep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Hello I'm a Swimmer.

That is all.

:creep:
    Excellent (in very best Mr Burns impression)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started swimming in the early part of my weight-loss programme. A non-consecutive 500m was pretty much all I did at the start, but after a month or two I was doing two consecutive 1.5k swims in a session. When the weather turned cold, I switched to running and haven't really been back to the pool, but this thread might push me back as it was so much less stress on my body.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to swim as a kid, swimming for the local team and such. Gave it up, got fat(ter). Started swimming at school in year 12 & 13, then stopped till the summer of my gap year, and started again. I get really bad swimmer's ear which is really annoying, but technique wise, I find I can match most people front crawl with just my arms when they're using both arms and legs. Heh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Update: Managed 2km in just under an hour. Kinda need to speed up a bit but otherwise ok. Anyone else get itchy skin/scalp after a session? I was red raw after today =/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can go to the only pool in my area! It's closed atm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don`t really like swimming in a pool, mostly because they are often so full and the other visitors freak me out. Also, the bloody endless turning in those small lanes gets on my nerves.
    I`m pretty much of an open-water-swimmer.

I went to the pool in December for a few times, but haven`t since then, although I plan on starting doing training again soon. Untrained (without having swam in a while) I can make around 2-2.5k.
    A buddy and me want to swim some lakes in the summer, they`re all around 5-7k(ish), so I`ll need to train a bit harder in the next few months.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to compete in open water events, used to do races up to 10k. At the moment I get about 4k done in an hour provided the pool isn't busy. Love swimming!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    i swim half a mile three times a week, ive been doing it for over three weeks nows and intend to build it up to a mile three times a week or a half mile five times a week. Im more doing it for tonage and to maintain a low weight than anything else
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've signed up for the 1 mile Swimathon for Sport Relief I hadn't swum since last summer when I went on Monday and I swum 1.5k in one hour and twenty minutes - that's nearly halfway across Loch Ness!
    I'm going to try and complete swimming across Loch Ness today (there's a tool on Myswimfit where you can map your swimming) and then I might swim around a Caribbean island :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been swimming for about three weeks to introduce me back to exercise (I've not done any for about two years due to having CFS) and to gain weight (Along side a balanced diet and protien+nutrition shakes.

I've gone from struggling to do even one length to doing 0.75km in 40 minutes. I'm so proud of myself.

That probably doesn't sound like much to you seasoned swimmers but for me that's an amazing achievement as a year ago I couldn't climb up a staircase.

EEK. I'm definitely going to keep swimming at least 3 times a week. I have so much more energy and stamina and I feel GREAT!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    0.75km in 25mins.

I think I managed to improve my time loads because the lady I usually go with couldn't make it (So no natter breaks) and the pool was pretty much empty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I´ve never tried to set myself a time-limit, but I think I made the 2.5k in about 1 1/2 hours last december.
    Unfortunately, I haven`t had time to pursue training much in the last time.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    :worm:

I don't swim in preparation for anything as such. I just try to aim for more and more laps each time I go but after about 20 I... don't bother carrying on.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosotalk)
    I've been swimming for about three weeks to introduce me back to exercise (I've not done any for about two years due to having CFS) and to gain weight (Along side a balanced diet and protien+nutrition shakes.

I've gone from struggling to do even one length to doing 0.75km in 40 minutes. I'm so proud of myself.

That probably doesn't sound like much to you seasoned swimmers but for me that's an amazing achievement as a year ago I couldn't climb up a staircase.

EEK. I'm definitely going to keep swimming at least 3 times a week. I have so much more energy and stamina and I feel GREAT!
    That's awesome It's all about your own personal goals and targets and that's a really good improvement =)

I personally have noticed that overtime I haven't really increased in my speed of swimming but my endurance has increased I think!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.